GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was...sitting on the shoulder of Cali HWY 14 in triple digit weather with me scoot and what was formerly known as my rear tire. 1:30 PM on a Saturday 3-day weekend, hmmmmmm "what will my chances be of getting help now?" I thanked God that I recognized that little "wobble" as an early warning sign; slowed the rig down to 50; felt it again...yep she's agonna blow. While putting along on the shoulder trying to get to the next exit, she exhaled her last breath. No Joy. My luck was about to improve because I walked away from the hwy a safe distance and called HRCA; tow truck arrived 20 minutes later. Larry Lilly Honda in Lancaster had a Metzler tire in stock, mounted it, ordeal over! Happy ending!! :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rode through there a few weeks ago. I noticed a whole lotta debris for miles next to the HOV lane. They must not clean that stuff out very often.
Were you able to tell what caused the flat? What did the tow truck use for tie down points?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't tell what caused the hole; it was a clean hole. Yeah, lots of debris. Yet CA is a pretty state.

Tie points: they used the handle bars. I advised them against it, but my idea (uding the crash bars) wasn't working. To their credit, they tried to do it my way, but it became very clear that we were going to have to do it their way. Everything turned out ok. Whew!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad everything worked out ok.

I had to have mine towed a few months ago. The tow truck guy used the engine guards and saddlebag guards. He also put a strap accross the seat. The bike was in gear on sidestand with the steering locked. We had to go about 20 miles. Everything went fine.

I think if I have to do it again though I'll also have them put a strap on the handlebars. I suppose you can't have too many straps on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts