GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
too bad not the right size rocketman would try it out for us first.:thumbup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
duro tire???

I have a friend who has a 1500 he bought it used with new tires already on it, 2500 miles and the front tire split down the middle you could see the cords at the bottom of the center gruve in the tire, I have never seen a tire seperate like that, I own a small shop and have seen many tires over the years, I would not want one of these duro tires or sell one to any of my customers

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
too bad not the right size rocketman would try it out for us first.:thumbup:
I would have to find out what 3rd world country it was made in first!:eek:4::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hey Stan, did you try out that Hankook?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It remind me of the old Volkswagen Rabbit commercial. Why buy an imposter, when you can get the real thing!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,973 Posts
I would have to find out what 3rd world country it was made in first!:eek:4::lol::lol::lol:
Durolopy :thumbup: just south of eyerollvany:tongue:

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Stan, did you try out that Hankook?:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Yes I did, and yes I still am. I took it to the Smoky Mountains and put about 700 miles on it. It handled the twisties and wet pavement just fine, but it has a tendency to want to wander downhill on high pitched pavement. I find myself having to push on the left handlebar slightly to keep it in the R lane, and vise versa. I'm thinking that I would prefer one a little narrower such as a 185/60. I'm still checking into what's available out there, both here and abroad.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Yes I did, and yes I still am. I took it to the Smoky Mountains and put about 700 miles on it. It handled the twisties and wet pavement just fine, but it has a tendency to want to wander downhill on high pitched pavement. I find myself having to push on the left handlebar slightly to keep it in the R lane, and vise versa. I'm thinking that I would prefer one a little narrower such as a 185/60. I'm still checking into what's available out there, both here and abroad.
We'll have to get together and I'll let you try my Sunny. The shoulders are quite a bit rounder and It's a tad narrower.:thumbup: What pressure were you running in the Smokies?

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran about 40psi riding 2-up and loaded. I have 3 tire gauges and they all read a little different (3-4 lbs.), so I went with the middle one at 40psi. Does anyone make a decent tire gauge anymore? I lowered the pressure to 36psi, but it really didn't make any difference as far as I could tell, other than smoother ride, that is.

Stan

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I ran about 40psi riding 2-up and loaded. I have 3 tire gauges and they all read a little different (3-4 lbs.), so I went with the middle one at 40psi. Does anyone make a decent tire gauge anymore? I lowered the pressure to 36psi, but it really didn't make any difference as far as I could tell, other than smoother ride, that is.

Stan
Fred H. did an accuracy test of tire gauges and found that even the cheapest of digital gauges were very accurate. After reading this I bought one at the check-out counter at the auto parts store just to check a couple of my "better" pencil gauges.

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Richard, how you liking that G709 front tire? After running Dunlop D250 and an E3, I decided to try something different, so I ordered a G709 yesterday. The D250 gave decent mileage, but cupped real bad. The E3 has been a great tire with minimal cupping and lasted to 19k miles and counting before reaching the wear bars. I was torn between the G709 and a Conti Motion, but a friend wanted to try the Conti, so I decided to go with the G709 for comparison.

Stan

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Stan, I really like the G709. I didn't have much luck with the cupping on the E3s. The E3s wore well, just too much cupping. But about the time I Traxxionized the bike I went to the G709 and have never went back. I think the E3 will last longer if one can tolerate the cupping. I also think the G709 provides a smoother ride.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

Stan
Stan, the gauge I use is an Accu-gauge that measures in one pound increments. It's the round dial type. The thing is no matter what gauge you use, use the same gauge all the time. If you find the tire works best at 40psi works best for you and it's 38psi on another gauge, it's just a reference point. Granted you want something that's not off more than + or - 2psi!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
By the way Stan, the tire worked for me the best at 44psi in the twisties! :thumbup: You were probably dealing with sidewall flex!

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As mentioned, the twisties were fine.....it's the roads with a high crown in the center that I'm feeling a pull on. That include I-65. When in the R lane it pulls (lightly) to the right, and when in the left lane it oulss slightly to the left. Other words, there seems to be a tendency to run down hill. Since the center of the Hankook is worn to the wear bars, and the edges are still practically fresh, it may be because this tire has a flatter profile more than usual. I still like it enough to want to try a new tire, and I'm leaning towards a RF version for the extra safety factor. I just hope my HF changer will mount a RF w/o too much fuss.
Stan

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Please let me know how that goes!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have a friend who has a 1500 he bought it used with new tires already on it, 2500 miles and the front tire split down the middle you could see the cords at the bottom of the center gruve in the tire, I have never seen a tire seperate like that, I own a small shop and have seen many tires over the years, I would not want one of these duro tires or sell one to any of my customers

I had a trailer tire do that. In my case, the tire was exposed to the weather 24/7 and was about 10 years old. It didn't go flat but man was it strange looking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts