GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new flip face helmet.....anyone have experience with the current brands? comfort, wind noise etc.( thanks in advance)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had a Nolan (Nolan was stolen) and now own a Fulmer. I like them both. It all depends on how much you want to spend and the comfort level you desire.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Flip Helmets

I have both a Nolan and HJC flip helmet and find the HJC is slightly more comfortable for me. I would recommend you find a good shop that has all of the various brands and try each of them out. They all have a different feel and fit and so your comfort and enjoyment will largely depend upon you. Once you find the right one for you, you'll love it for the convenience it offers. One last point to keep in mind is if you will have a headset too. So keep that in mind when trying different brands. Both the Nolan and HJC are good with headsets providing ample area for the microphone by your mouth.

DaleC

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Nolan flip face - the N100E, I believe. I really like it, but I agree with the previous post about trying them on first. All brands don't have the same shape.

Bob D.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Definitely try them on first. I have a Vega. Because I don't have a round head some of the helmets just won't fit without causing pain.

The Vega helmet is very noisey at high 70+ speeds. But it works for me now until I find a better fit I'll use it. .Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Flip Face helmets

I have a schuberth with an air rider headset installed and I love it. But as previous posts recommend, you need to try this helmet on before purchase. The quality and ease of opening are fantastic. I also love the built in sun shade. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the HJC Symax helmet. I've had it for over 3 years. I really like it. One time my helmet fell off of my Wing and it broke one of the camlocks that keep the flipup facepiece in the open position. I emailed HJC from their website explaining the problem and they sent me 2 pair of camlocks plus new screws. Heck, only needed one. So their customer service is outstanding. I also have an HJC AC3 half helmet. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Arrow (Jarrow) flip-front and it works very well for me. It is also configured so that the front is removeable and it converts to a 3/4 helmet with a visor. It has removeable cheek pads, which allowed me to set it up to fit my chubby face. :) Changing the face shield out is not as easy as the HJC (it requires using a screwdriver or a dime or penny as a screwdriver). I have the Chatterbox FRS setup and use the boom mike without a windsock with no problem. The headset speakers installed with no problem.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Flip face helmet

I have the HJC Symax helmet and like the fit for my odd shape head. One thing I didn't like was the placement for helmet speakers. While HJC make it very easy to fit speakers, for me the location was not ideal, not opposite the ear. I had Air Rider head set in my full face Shoei and only had to set the volume for 8 or 9 even at highway speed. When I brought my HJC Symax I moved the Air Rider setup to this Symax and because of the location of the helmet strap was unable to posistion the speakers directly over the ear. Now I have to set the volume to 18 or 19 at normal speeds, 22-23 at freeway speeds. The sound quality has really gone down hill because of the higher speaker volume settings required. Other than that, I am happy with the Symax.
I am thinking about having custom made ear plugs made with speaker bud type speakers installed. I really miss the sound quality I had with the lower settings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the Nolan N100 equipped with the Air Rider headsets. I love mine with the versatility is gives you. Have had it for 3 yrs now and never regretted it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been using a SHOE flip top for the past 12 months & found it great!!
One of the things that I liked about it is the one release button system.
The best of both worlds!! :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I do not like full face (or flip front) helmets ... ride with a 3/4's HJC. That said ... it get's cold here riding this time of the year so I just sprung for a fairly cheap flip front. Big surprise ... it fits GREAT, feels comfortable, looks good and was a decent price. Too much wind noise, but I've never riden with a full face that didn't have that problem, I'll work on it with neck warmers or something similar ...
Anyway, I bout the Electro that JC Whitney is selling ... the one with the flag graphic. Opens and closes easy and stays fog free as long as I'm moving. Easily as comfortable as the HJC ... best fitting helmet I've had in a very long time.
Now to buy a cheap headset (all I care about are the speakers) since I hate to bother others with blaring speakers .... :evil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Schubert. Advantage's are #1 the flip down sun shade,great feature(don't need sunglasses),#2 easy to open. Disadvantage's #1 noisy, #2 fit(had to get a larger size than normal,there's a pressure point that hits the top of my ears,thought it would break in,it hasn't).

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Flip Helmets

I have a Nolan N-100E I Love it! Removable liner makes it nice if it starts smelling sweaty! No chance of that now though! Flip the shield down when it rains or is cold and it cant be beat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Helmet

I purchased a Nolan N100E through our board sponser a couple of weeks ago. I had tried a number of different makes last year at the cycle show in Washington, and this seemed to fit me the best. It is no louder than my Shoei RFR, fits good. Anti fog works as well as my previous fog sheld. The chin guard is pretty close to the chin, so if you have a protruding chin, might have problems. Easy open & close. Love it. You gotta try'em to see what fits you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
:) My wife and I bought the Nolan 100E with the installed clampless headsets by J&M. We love them. Only one problem we've found is due to Nolan being an Italian company. The helmets are made one size outside just like everyone else's. The problem is that they're appreciable smaller than the American or German made helmets. The largest size you can get in the Nolan is 2X. The 2X fits my head ok but there is barely room between my chin and the front of the inside helmet for the smallest J&M microphone. So if you have a large head or a very protruding chin you might want to try something else. Good luck. :)

Lennnie in Michigan

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
HJC Symax: Very Noisey. Before I had my Tulsa windshield,
I carried a roll of electrical tape & little pair of scissors. My wife
would put a strip over the top of the shield after I put on my
glasses & closed the shield. Very bad seal design. Interesting
because HJC's AC-2 & AC-3's are at the top of the ratings list.
It is just their Symax that blows (and man, can you hear it :D ).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the HJC Symax and really like it, but I have an HJC shaped head. Helmets are a very individual specific choice, kinda like underwear. I was told by an Arai rep at the International Motorcycle show that I had a round/oval head and could wear either type of their helmets. What that meant was, neither style of their helmets fit me. The flip front is great for glasses wearers. You really need to try as many different brands as you can.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Flip Helmet - E-Mail

GP

Send me your e-mail and I will forward a couple of reports on flip helmet test.

Ron

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Helmets

:D HJC Symax, Great helmet

1 - 20 of 27 Posts