GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a flip front helmet. Primarily I am considering two helmets. The HJC Symax and the Fulmer Modus. The Modus fits better than the Symax - shape of my gourd I reckon. Any comments on quality, one versus the other. The Fulmer is cheaper, the quality seems comparable, but the fit is the key point for me. I would appreciate any comments from you folks as you have helped me decide in the past, so be it again. Thanks abunch - ride safe..... Charlie

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have to agree with you, fit is everything. If it hurts after wearing it a few hours or minutes, you will be trying to adjust it which may include loosening the strap which makes a helmut all but worthless. Given that, most helmuts take a while to conform to your noggin.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I have the Symax helmet and I like it. One of the complaints though is that they are noisier than others like Nolan and Aria. I've never tried the others to compare but I agree you get some wind noise with the Symax. Considering that and the comfort - and the price - you might as well go with the Fulmer. I might check those out myself.

I also agree with biglefti - it takes a while for a helmet to conform. I have two Symax helmets - both the same size, one brand new and one a couple years old. The new one is tight on me and the old one is just right. The styrofoam does compress with use.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I bought my wife the Nolan 102. I looked the HJC but felt the Nolan was better quality and i like the sun shade visor portion and the quick release chin strap features better. I just recently bought myself the Nolan 42 open face.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the Nolan N102. I purchased it from HDL at the last sale. I previously rode with an HJC full face(not a flip) I agree that the flip produces more wind noise, but if you wear ear plugs its not that big a deal. I puchased a Nolan because I felt the quality was better than the Symac. YMMV. So far I don't have any complaints, and I relly like the visor.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
G

·
I had a Symax.

found I have helmet claustrophobia - :crew:

I sold my Symax!

End of story - but it did fit well.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I've got a Vega flip, price was right and it was the first flip I'd tried. Didn't want to spend too much and not like a flip helmet, be wearing 3/4 and half all my life....it's a nice helmet, for the price anyway...I'm sure there a better. I may try a different brand now because I do like the flip style...

I just picked up two 3/4 Fulmer's for the wife's Silverwing and I like them a lot..very light and comfortable, large ear hole for speakers...

I would like to look at the Fulmer flip. If it's as comfortable as the 3/4 style I may go with that....

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a Symax very comfy and pretty quiet for a flip. One of the guys over on the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum had a crash and his Symax came off during the crash. I won't get into if it was properly fitted and all that but he is a very experienced rider. Somehow the flip came loose and the helmet came off.

Comes down to this. With the flip up, try to roll the helmet forward off of your head. Mine came off. I am not saying this is the case for everyone.

I recently bought a Nolan 102. It's noisier but it is comfortable. Tried the same test and it would not roll off. Sure wish the Symax wouldn't have done that because it is one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever owned. Sorry for the long reply but people have to be aware of the potential danger of the Symax. It may be a problem with all flip fronts. Whatever you buy, try it on and do the roll off test.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
A proper fitting helmet should be snug but not tight. It should move as your head moves and not have any slop in it. If it moves and your head doesn't, then it is the wrong size.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Fit is everything. Buy what a) fits, and b) you are comfortable in. I switched from 3/4 to symax this year and like it fine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Fit

Fit is important of course. I have a Nolan and a Symax. I had to quit wearing the Nolan because it hurt my ears.

The only suggestion I have is to check the latching mechanism. I believe it should be metal not plastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only problem I have with my Fulmer Modus is the thing FOGS over when its cold out and /or raining. I have to crack the face mask up on the first notch or leave the flip unlatched when down. Other than that it is a comfortable helmet. SIZE XXXL :shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts