GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Goldwing rider coming from the world of sport bikes. I'm looking to buy a new helmet for touring and am split between the Shoei flip up (Neotec 2) and full face (GT-Air II). Normally I would get the full face because that's what I've always gone for (maximum protection at race speeds) but the other day I was out on a ride and I put the Goldwing shield up and flipped up the face shield on my full face (I had never done that before). It was kind of nice to have some wind in my face without the fear of rocks, dirt or bugs getting in my eyes.

For those experienced, is it comfortable/practical to ride for long periods with the chin bar flipped up? I suppose it would also be handy if I wanted to eat or drink too.

Thanks for the wisdom in advance.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I ride with a Full Face as there are no modular helmets that meet the SNELL 2010 or 2015 standards.

I also ride with my face shield up almost 100% of the time. About the only time my face shield isn't all the way up is if/when it is raining. I also have some Gaffers Tape on the bottom 1" or so of the Face Shield which allows me to use it as a Sun Visor. I'm almost always wearing Sun Glasses or Clear Safety Glasses to protect my eyes.

Attachments

Reactions: goldwing fan

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I have tried most "types" of helmets from full face to convertible. The helmets I wear most often are a 3/4 and a full face convertible.

I prefer the convertible for touring since it allows, as you have noted, the ability to have it seem like a 3/4 helmet. And, when needed (rain, snow, etc) you can lower the chin bar and closed the face shield.

It is my understanding that most of the helmets that have a chin bar that can be raised are not rated for that mode of operation (i.e. safe to ride with in 3/4 mode) but I could be mistaken.

My current helmet and the only convertible I have ever owned is a Shark Evoline which is rated for use in full or 3/4 mode (see information below)

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-helmet-solid-colors

If I have to replace my current helmet there is no doubt I will pick another Shark Evoline. The only issues might be that the Shark is heavy compared to some other helmets.

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
My wife and I have been using HJC modular helmets for years. In fact I bought two more near the end of last year. I like the full face protection, and always wear the helmet with the shield wide open and sunglasses (unless it's raining or very cold). However, I like to raise the modular part when I'm stopped and talking to somebody, at a pay booth or border crossing, or just to give me a break from total enclosure (when I'm stopped).

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Wife and I have worn Shoei FF lids for over 30 yrs of riding GLs. Current lids are RF1200. When it is hot, I usually have the shield open a bit, but if too much wind noise activates the intercom, shield gets closed.

I considered modulars, but, as you said, you're not going to ride far with the chin bar up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Modular is my favorite style of helmet. It's convenient to flip up at a stop - to talk to a buddy or pay for gas or food - and yet have the protection of the chin bar when down. I ride a bit of long distance and I will ride short periods with the chin bar up to take a snack or drink when underway.

The Neotec is an excellent example of modular design. It flows a tremendous amount of air through the vents and is comfortable for many hours in a day, day after day. Though heavy, it is very well balanced and never feels heavy to me and the drop-down sun visor is the way it should be in all helmets that have one - sufficiently dark and optically clear with an easy-to-use mechanism that lasts the life of the helmet.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I'm a new Goldwing rider coming from the world of sport bikes. I'm looking to buy a new helmet for touring and am split between the Shoei flip up (Neotec 2) and full face (GT-Air II). Normally I would get the full face because that's what I've always gone for (maximum protection at race speeds) but the other day I was out on a ride and I put the Goldwing shield up and flipped up the face shield on my full face (I had never done that before). It was kind of nice to have some wind in my face without the fear of rocks, dirt or bugs getting in my eyes.

For those experienced, is it comfortable/practical to ride for long periods with the chin bar flipped up? I suppose it would also be handy if I wanted to eat or drink too.

Thanks for the wisdom in advance.
without reading the other posts i think the Neo tech 2 is the only way to go. It has so many advantages over the full helmet. Drink fluids while on the road. Raises up while gassing up or talking to someone. Raises up when slowing down in small towns, and many others.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Can't go wrong with full face, but modular is what I and the wife ride with and have for years... Nolan 104 currently. I essentially NEVER ride with the modular up. I prefer to keep my face and teeth... Wife, on the other hand, frequently puts her's up under slow riding conditions even though I keep telling her not to.... women... they never listen!

Some ride in apparent "safe" situations with the bar up, I understand that. Which may be OK until you go around that corner and suddenly it's .... DEER!!!.... or CAR!!!... you weren't expecting... and just like reaching for a seat belt before the accident is about to happen, you won't have time to flip that chin bar down.

You're a sport bike rider, like myself, who already knows the importance of proper protective gear, especially full face protection. I highly recommend you approach riding the Goldwing the same. I have found it's really just a big sports bike... .I have a tendency to ride it that way.

I like the flip up because it can be raised when stopped, getting gas etc. It's easier to put on and take off wearing glasses etc. I ride essentially always with the visor UP unless it's raining or cold... but have glasses on for eye protection despite having that windshield in front of me.

....... OK...... I do occasionally ride for a bit with the chin bar up.... you guys know it........ feel it?........ here it comes..........

....... SNEEZE!!!!!!!!!!...................:surprise:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wear a flip up as it's easier to put on and remove as I wear glasses. A full face just doesn't work for me. As far as riding with the chin bar up it changes the balance of the helmet putting more weight on top and more wind drag. This can be uncomfortable and tiring on your neck as it bobs in the wind. I do like to raise it at slow speeds or stopped for communication or refueling or hydrating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also ride with a modular helmet, a Shoei Neotec 2, which is by far the most confortable helmet I´ve had.
Most of the timw I ride with the chin guard down, but on secondary roads or cruising listening to music.
Also I wear glasses so it´s the best solution to put it on and take it off...

Regards,

·
Registered
123 Posts
I rode with a 3/4 for ten years. I have switched to a full face (Shoei Air) because I want the quiet and no more buffeting. I can now ride with my windshield all the way (even in the rain). I open the face shield one notch to get air if I need it but don't like the wind noise even with ear plugs.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like the Shoei Neotec 2. It fits like velvet and the face shield stays up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like the Shoei Neotec 2. It fits like velvet and the face shield stays up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A lot has to do with the temperature. I use Full in winter, Modular rest of year. During a ride between wind and sun I tend to get dehydrated. A modular helmet allows you to get a drink as you travel down the road.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Modular helmets are great if you can deal with the extra weight. Almost all come with internal sunshades. Just adds weight and complexity.

Full face helmets are generally lighter and simpler,

I also had a tough time deciding. I went with a suberth C4. I’m happy with the helmet but really don’t need the internal sunshade.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Same Here!

Modular is my favorite style of helmet. It's convenient to flip up at a stop - to talk to a buddy or pay for gas or food - and yet have the protection of the chin bar when down. I ride a bit of long distance and I will ride short periods with the chin bar up to take a snack or drink when underway.

The Neotec is an excellent example of modular design. It flows a tremendous amount of air through the vents and is comfortable for many hours in a day, day after day. Though heavy, it is very well balanced and never feels heavy to me and the drop-down sun visor is the way it should be in all helmets that have one - sufficiently dark and optically clear with an easy-to-use mechanism that lasts the life of the helmet.
:agree:
Owner of NeotecII love it, I ride 75 down-25% up. When good heavy rain I put my windshield all the way down and the wind keeps my face shield clear. I'm going to be installing a Supervisor for shading my eyes from low sun angle riding. I tried the stick on strip lasted maybe 6 months and it came off. Don't like the black tape idea myself. I usually have eyeglasses or sun shades on and also have transition pin-lock as a bonus.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use four helmets.

1) Half-lid
2) Schuberth C3 (full)
3) Schuberth M1 (modular)
4) Oregon Duck "Special"

In order, I like...Special, M1, Half and lastly C3.

I am a bad-boy (I know)...butt...I ride with that M1 "up" as much as possible. It only comes down in rain and cold. I guess the weight and buffeting must be minimal for me because I notice NEITHER.

Just my opinion, you understand.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Neotec here as well.
Chin bar stays down during urban riding, period. The highest risk of crashes and facial trauma is urban riding.

Modular is great for getting a drink while traveling (especially out here where the very low humidity quickly leads to dehydration). Open the chin bar, drink, lower the chin bar.
Rarely, in very hot weather, I'll open the chinbar.

The sunvisor is awesome. My glasses won't darken because the faceshield blocks UV. It also provides additional eye protection if the chin is open.
I have a Wing and a Ducati Multistrada. Modular allows me to use one helmet for both. On the Multistrada, the chinbar stays down at all times.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Neotec here as well.
Chin bar stays down during urban riding, period. The highest risk of crashes and facial trauma is urban riding.

Modular is great for getting a drink while traveling (especially out here where the very low humidity quickly leads to dehydration). Open the chin bar, drink, lower the chin bar.
Rarely, in very hot weather, I'll open the chinbar.

The sunvisor is awesome. My glasses won't darken because the faceshield blocks UV. It also provides additional eye protection if the chin is open.
I have a Wing and a Ducati Multistrada. Modular allows me to use one helmet for both. On the Multistrada, the chinbar stays down at all times.

+1 Get the flip up for wing duty.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I wear HJC modular (HJC because it fits my head shape) with the chin bar down unless stopped and off the bike or taking a quick drink. I keep the shield down unless stopped at an intersection in very cold weather (I use a Fog City insert). I ride with the windscreen down and look over the top unless on interstates with the wife in pillion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts