GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site but have enjoyed poking around. I've been riding two wheels for about 25 years I guess. Most of them on a Harley.
BUT I have an 08 Goldwing being converted to a trike at this time.
One question however... I see a lot of trikes here without the floor boards... any paticular reason? Maybe I should call them running boards.. not floor boards/

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Are you talking about the running boards that go with the Trike kit, or floor boards like are common on the Cruiser style bike???
I put on the floor boards a little while after I put on the running boards, and love them.

B

·
0 Posts
Running Boards, or Aqua Shields or Ground Effects...do serve a purpose, that of keeping some water off your legs when riding in the rain. they also may remind you not to put your feet down when stopping and thereby prevent you from running over your feet.

IMHO - the "boards" complete the look of the trike. I think the trike looks unfinished without them...but that's just my opinion

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I'm new to the site but have enjoyed poking around. I've been riding two wheels for about 25 years I guess. Most of them on a Harley.
BUT I have an 08 Goldwing being converted to a trike at this time.
One question however... I see a lot of trikes here without the floor boards... any paticular reason? Maybe I should call them running boards.. not floor boards/
2 reasons some don't have them.
1. Simply don't like the look
2. Cost
If U don't use them be sure to get stone guards for the rear fenders!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ground effects are what I meant to say... thanks.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
My first trike did not have them and I thought I wanted/needed them. My current trike has them. After riding both with and without, I do not need them and think that to me at least, they are a waste of money and that the negatives outweigh the advantages. YMMV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I built my trike cost was the reason that I did not get them I like the look and see the benifits of having them being rain, gravel and wind but I also see the benifits of not having them, less to clean, being able to move the trike without getting off or using reverse because sometimes I find that in some places just a little push and the trike will roll faster than reverse will move it, but my opinion and 2$ will get you a cup of coffee. Larry

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
I don't have them on my Champion Trike. I don't think leaving them off makes them look unfinished. In fact, I think it makes the trike look bottom heavy and bulky. Had a Valkyrie trike before my goldwing trike. The Champion trike has a slim and fast back look. I did not want the aqua boards for that reason, and if they got chipped or hit, it was a repair cost. Many of the floor boards cannot sustain your body weight...so be careful of that issue. They are a big step over. JMHO

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A big WELCOME to the board hdrider!
Congrats on getting a trike.
Now....if you still have that Harley......well....
sorry about the 2-wheeler having to sit un-ridden so much. :joke:
Trikes will do that to you!

The reason they are called ground effects is.....
When you get on rough roads.....
they have the effect of getting "ground off. :wrong: :joke:
I have actually had the brackets under mine (CSC trike)
hit the road a few times when I was driving "with spirit" on
some fast or short dips in the road. No damage done...just no sharp edges on the bottom of those brackets :lol:

Some trike brands have "boards" that are made to stand on. Other,
like mine, are pretty solid, but don't have a beefy enough frame under them to allow regular application of full body weight.
My wife has braces on her legs and she has no problem avoiding the
"boards" when she gets on/off.

They are a definite plus for keeping the road splash off you in the rain.

I find they block enough air flow past my feet.... that my feet are noticeably warmer. Good in the cooler weather.
When I added the "Trike Wings" (see Baker Built products) they do a
great job of keeping stuff from hitting the front of the rear fenders....
But....for me at least.... the combination of the "boards" and the Wings, blocks enough air that in the hot summer months my feet get a little too warm on the regular pegs.....
Which brings me to my last comment.... I feel it is worth the effort to get
highway pegs that can be mounted with the "boards" and be located where they allow your feet to be out in the air stream when you need to
cool your feet. Without the ground effect boards, I doubt the Wings alone would block enough air over your feet for it to be of concern.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Like Beastie, I prefer the look of the ground effects. They are an expensive addition that is not a necessity, however I have a LOT of unnecessary chrome and goodies on my trike that I do not want to be without. I guess it is all in the way you look at it!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I guess it's all just a matter of taste. I don't care for the way they look. I also prefer to be able to put my feet on the ground if I want.

Takes all kinds, don't it??!!?? :shrug:

-Dan

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I guess it's all just a matter of taste. I don't care for the way they look. I also prefer to be able to put my feet on the ground if I want.

Takes all kinds, don't it??!!?? :shrug:

-Dan
I think that some of the floorboard designs look very nice while others don't particularly appeal to me. My preference is strictly based on utilitarian considerations that are important to me, perhaps alone. After owning/riding trikes both ways, I simply don't perceive value commensurate with the price and inconveniences. YMMV.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am still able to put my feet on the ground and push the trike back while in neutral with the ground effects. I am only 6' tall, but I guess I must just have long legs.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I am still able to put my feet on the ground and push the trike back while in neutral with the ground effects. I am only 6' tall, but I guess I must just have long legs.
Congratulations Kenn. I wish I could do so.

Please understand. My comments about floor boards are personal and based on my experience only. Others may find them to be the 'cat's meow.' As I said, YMMV.

I first had a trike without them and now have one with them. Without suits me better, but that's just me...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Running Boards, or Aqua Shields or Ground Effects...do serve a purpose, that of keeping some water off your legs when riding in the rain. they also may remind you not to put your feet down when stopping and thereby prevent you from running over your feet.

IMHO - the "boards" complete the look of the trike. I think the trike looks unfinished without them...but that's just my opinion

I agree with Don, and I also understand it's just my opinion. Isn't it great that we have so many choices to make in our trike world?

Wayne

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have them on the MotorTrike. What I noticed is that I cannot push the trike back, have to use reverse. But because I cannot reach the ground, I will not run over my own feet. They do provide wind and weather protection for the feet. MotorTrikes are weight bearing, so make it a little easier to get on and off. And I will ride with my feet off the pegs and on the running boards (meaning Aquashields...) just for a change of position. I have never had one drag or touch the ground due to 'spirited riding' - trikes just don't lean that far.

Downside is the brackets holding the boards are the lowest part of the trike - you can scrape them on speed bumps. Then the added width of the trike means you cannot get a bike lift under the center of the trike. Then there is the cost.

All things considered, I would add them again. They are not a necessity, but they are an appealing option. Like Beastie said, adds to the look. Its all about choices and personal preference.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have the Ground Effects (running boards) on my trike as well. I especially like the finished look they provide. They do cost extra, but I am glad I opted to have them installed. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
I agree with Don, and I also understand it's just my opinion. Isn't it great that we have so many choices to make in our trike world?

Wayne
Choices are great...and opinions are like noses, everybody has one. Each to their own, that's what make trikes so much fun.

To see what real choices are, go to http://www.miniusa.com/?#/MINIUSA.COM-m

Go into "Build" and you will see they list 10,000,000 ways to configure a Mini.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies.. really sounds like a preferance thing. I can live with that. I just didn't want to hear any great disadvantages to having them.
Not touching the ground and dragging the mounts are in dead things to concider I'm sure. But in my case I feel the looks make it worth dealing with those two things.
And I did go with the Lehman so the ground effects are weight bearing. That was,,is,, very important to me.
And yes,, I do still have the Harley and intend on keeping it for the days I feel like riding a 2 wheel machine.
Of course I had 2 harleys for a while and ended up not riding the bar hopper very often after I got the Road King so the bar hopper had to go. Never say never I guess.
The trike is being put together in SC and I plan to fly over and ride it back to Oregon the end if April,,, maybe via the Blue Ridge Moutains beings I will be so close LOL.
Thanks again

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Thanks for the replies.. really sounds like a preferance thing. I can live with that. I just didn't want to hear any great disadvantages to having them.
Not touching the ground and dragging the mounts are in dead things to concider I'm sure. But in my case I feel the looks make it worth dealing with those two things.
And I did go with the Lehman so the ground effects are weight bearing. That was,,is,, very important to me.
And yes,, I do still have the Harley and intend on keeping it for the days I feel like riding a 2 wheel machine.
Of course I had 2 harleys for a while and ended up not riding the bar hopper very often after I got the Road King so the bar hopper had to go. Never say never I guess.
The trike is being put together in SC and I plan to fly over and ride it back to Oregon the end if April,,, maybe via the Blue Ridge Moutains beings I will be so close LOL.
Thanks again
I'm sure you will enjoy the trike and the ride home. You are correct, floorboards are a matter of personal preference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts