GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now, I have removed the Kury floorboards the PO had installed on my 2008. And tomorrow will be twice that I have reinstalled them. They actually sit a little higher than the OEM pegs, which makes them less prone to drag in curves. I have ran the OEM pegs for the last 1000 miles, and have dragged them more than I ever have the floorboards in the prior 37,000 miles.

I experimented with the OEM pegs, bought a right side heel rest, etc., but just prefer the floorboards. Being about 3/8" higher, they cause my knees to been slightly more, but it's a trade off. I prefer the floorboards' larger surface area, and ability to slide my feet around more. Also the wide brake pedal pad is easier to locate in a hurry, and the heel shifter is real convenient.

Only problem with the floorboards, the kickstand has an extension in order to access the stand easily with the heel. That extension tends to drag once in awhile. I plan to either bend it upward, or remove it and just get used to flipping the left floorboard up in order to access the kickstand.

Pretty sure this was the last time the floorboards will come off.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I tried floor boards and decided I hated downshifting. I felt like my foot and ankle was expected to operate in a way it wasn’t designed to. I may have had to make an adjustment in the shifter position. I decided I like the stock pegs. I never drag them.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried floor boards and decided I hated downshifting. I felt like my foot and ankle was expected to operate in a way it wasn’t designed to. I may have had to make an adjustment in the shifter position. I decided I like the stock pegs. I never drag them.
I am not an aggressive rider, but even dragged a peg yesterday getting off the interstate, on the 30 MPH exit curve. I was maybe running 45 max. With the floorboards have taken the same exit many times, at same speed, and never dragged them.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
678 Posts
Several years ago I put in Mono-Tubes, Progressive Rear Spring and jacked-up the rear Actuator.

I found the bike had a rather "extreme" lean angle.

To counter the lean (rather elegantly) I installed the longer ST1100 side stand.

Then I had to learn to use my clutch when I put the stand down while running.

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yep I like the floorboards on my 08 as well. The first few rides I didn’t think I liked it but after a week or so I decided I did. I like that my feet aren’t locked in one position. I also think the floorboards look good. I don’t have the side stand extension but have become accustomed to pulling up the board with my heel and lowering the stand in one graceful movement ;).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm pretty much used to flipping up the floorboard to get the kickstand up or down. It's only mildly inconvenient. I get more annoyed at the gas door flipping down while grabbing the fuel handle and having to unlock it again than the floorboard.

·
Registered
678 Posts
More like: Rust Removal.
Well...OK then.

How about "lateral and parallel surface multipliers stripped of oxidation".
Shirley everyone can agree on that?>:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am thinking of installing the Kuryakyn mini-boards. I am hoping its a compromise between the issues discussed and comfort. Anyone tried the mini-boards?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've scraped the pegs a few times, but never enough to make me feel unstable. On my last two bikes I had changed out the pegs for floorboards, but not "heal-toe" shifters and I liked the change on those Triumphs. But on the GW, I like the wider than common stock pegs and do not plan on changing them. Its just nice to have options. Personally, I think Honda knew what it was doing when it designed these pegs and I am quite happy with them as is.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The "wider than common pegs" that Kuryakyn make will fit nicely on an ST1300.
Not stylish by any means...but comfortable none-the-less.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I had floor boards on my 86 Aspy and hated them. Replaced them with stock pegs and never gave it a second thought. Now the 1800, that's a whole nother story. It's got the Kury floor boards and heel/toe shifter, and I couldn't be more pleased. Very comfortable, I can move around a bit more, and I'm not wearing out the toe of my left boot. Now if I could just find a set of road pegs that fit me. I have a set of Kury ergo II's, but they don't extend back far enough to be comfortable for my little short butt. :???:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I’ve ridden other bikes with floor boards and hated them because they dragged way to easy, but I have never ridden a 1800 with floor boards. Have always been very well satisfied with the stock pegs on ANY bike I’ve ridden. And no highway pegs for me either ! Heel toe shifters it’s easy to understand why many folks like them but I sure don’t like them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had the Kury mini boards on mine for a season then off then on, finally decided that the stock pegs suit me fine. I had floorboards on my other bikes and enjoyed them but not on my Wing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think the room where the pegs are, and the gear shift lever is, is just too cramped on the Wing to allow for comfortable floorboards. When I first was considering the Wing, I worried about whether or not I would be comfortable shifting when wearing my heavy riding boots. Turned out that this was not a problem, but that area is certainly more cramped than what I had on cruisers that did not have a big fairing and six cylinder engine sitting right in front of me.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have rode Wings with floor boards and some had the heel-toe shifters.
I would say it's a choice and what ever you like, go for it.
I'm in the camp of not really liking the floor boards or Heel-Toe shifters. This may be from my many years on dirt and trail bikes growing up.

Corventure Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts