GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of repeating myself - Judy and I were not pleased with the seating postion of the 1800. We wanted to upgrade from our 1500 trike but did not like the "sporty" seating postion of the 1800. I convinced Judy to go ahead and get the 1800 and I would figure something out. The prototype pieces are back from the powder coater and just waiting for the weather to change. I would like Judy to get at least 1000 miles on them and then make the final decision.

I wound up using RIVCO floorboards. A little pricey but I really liked what I had to work with. I then machined 3/4" plates to mount to the original mounts and mounted the RIVCO floorboards 3" lower and 3 1/2" forward of the original position. This may sound like a lot but the bottom of the floorboards are still above the bottom of the bike. Being a trike - lean angle is not an issue. I used 3/4" aluminum plates because of the need to relieve the backs. I made up a new shifter and modified the brake setup. Shifting is a dream - better in my opinion then the original RIVCO setup. I may have to replace the brake spring if it is too stiff but will need Judy's input for that.

We have been out for short rides and are both very happy with the new position. Now Judy truly feels like she is on a lazyboy. It is surprising but Judy has more room between her shins and the back of the cylinders.

I can return the bike back to stock in a matter of minutes. Just a matter of unbolting the plates and putting the stock brake pedal and pegs on.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jim,

I hope that it works for you, as you would like it to. Sounds as though you have put considerable time and thought into the process.

Good Luck

Bulldog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts