GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice and experience with a little bit of opinion tossed in for good measure. I'm trying to decide between going with the Kuryakyn full-size floor boards with heel toe shifter, or with the mini-boards with heel toe. I'll list my concerns and hopefully some of you can back them (or disprove them):

* heel/toe shifter: I would like to be able to up-shift without drooping my 11 1/2 boot down low and scraping it on tight corners. I think that the heel toe setup would solve that problem UNLESS my boot would not fit comfortably between the shifter ends. My boot measures right at 12". Would it fit between the heel and toe shift arms?

* Full-size floorboards: http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2624
I'd love the extra room to move around on, BUT are they positioned too far aft so that I wouldn't be able to comfortably use their full length? The other concern is the width. Are they so wide that they become an issue in moderately high leaning turns? Does anyone know the width of these boards?

* Mini-floorboards: http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/232_Footpeg_Floorboards/120_GL1800_Kuryakyn_Driver_Iso_Wing_Boards/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/232_goldwing_Footpeg_Floorboards/des/?page=2

Do they provide enough support, and can I still use a heel toe shifter with them installed?

I like the look of the mini's a bit more, but am not sure they would be large enough to make a difference.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I've got the Mini boards on my '06 with the stock toe shifter. With all the talk about the damaged shifting fork from using the heel/toe shifter I decided to stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Iso Wings for me

I've used the Iso wings on my last 2 wings and love them. With bad back/hip the stock pegs cause my hip to drop a bit which causes pain. The iso wings provide a larger and more stable platform to rest my feet which allows my hip to relax. I also like the way they look. And for a non-mechanic like myself they are very easy to install.

Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heel toe shifters are really cool.....like a Harley is cool.

Heel toe shifters are not very functional...........like a Harley isn't very functional.

I took my heel toe shifter off myh GL1800 and installed pegs.

It made the Goldwing so much nicer to ride with pegs.

But then I like to be able to shift quickly if needed "for safety and fun".

I also like to be able to lean the bike over when need be "for safety and fun".

I tried the mini floor boards and they were very nice. They look cool too.

With the mini floor boards you can't lean over quite as far as pegs, but they still lean over far enough to have some fun.

But I like lots of fun......so I perfer pegs, but minis are nice too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
No clue on heel toe shifter. I have never scraped mine. Guess I'm not aggressive enough! They measure 5 1/2 inches front to back at the widest point. 4 1/2 inches side to side at the widest point. I do have some problem getting my combat boot style riding boots under the shifter sometimes (size 10 wide). Could be the boot more than the iso wings. I do like them a lot better than OEM pegs.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Looking for some advice and experience with a little bit of opinion tossed in for good measure. I'm trying to decide between going with the Kuryakyn full-size floor boards with heel toe shifter, or with the mini-boards with heel toe. I'll list my concerns and hopefully some of you can back them (or disprove them):

* heel/toe shifter: I would like to be able to up-shift without drooping my 11 1/2 boot down low and scraping it on tight corners. I think that the heel toe setup would solve that problem UNLESS my boot would not fit comfortably between the shifter ends. My boot measures right at 12". Would it fit between the heel and toe shift arms?

* Full-size floorboards: http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2624
I'd love the extra room to move around on, BUT are they positioned too far aft so that I wouldn't be able to comfortably use their full length? The other concern is the width. Are they so wide that they become an issue in moderately high leaning turns? Does anyone know the width of these boards?

* Mini-floorboards: http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/232_Footpeg_Floorboards/120_GL1800_Kuryakyn_Driver_Iso_Wing_Boards/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/232_goldwing_Footpeg_Floorboards/des/?page=2

Do they provide enough support, and can I still use a heel toe shifter with them installed?

I like the look of the mini's a bit more, but am not sure they would be large enough to make a difference.

Any thoughts?
I would buy what ever you chose from the board sponser...you know he'll beat any one's prices...

http://www.directlineparts.com/

Mark :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have the KURY floorboards with heel/toe shifter and love it. There are many foot positions and i rarely ever use the highway pegs. I have never drug my pegs but i ride for the enjoyment.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have the mini boards but they're not the Kury's and I use the stock shifter. I put them on not for looks but for comfort on all day rides and they help a lot. The angle is adjustable so I set them to have the front lower than the back to better match the natural angle of my foot and to be able to get my toe under the shifter easier.
Before I installed them I took a measurement from the floor to the bottom outside end of the stock peg. Took the same measurement with the mini boards. The mini's are 3/4" hiigher than the stock pegs so I don't think they have reduced the lean angle of the bike.
I used to occasionally scrape a peg but not very often. Since installing the mini boards I've never scraped one.

Ralph Wenzl

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
OEM FOOTPEGS
Floorboards and rocker shifter has caused bent shifter fork problems

MOPs are for highway bars not foot pegs

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the KURY floorboards with heel/toe shifter and love it. There are many foot positions and i rarely ever use the highway pegs. I have never drug my pegs but i ride for the enjoyment.
Srinehart,

I have three questions about yours:
1) Are they the Kuryakyns?
2) How long have you had them installed?
3) Have you had any issues with the heel/toe shifter causing problems with the OEM shift mechanism, or any problems with deplating chrome?
4) What is the distance between the heel and toe shifter? My boot is 12".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the mini boards but they're not the Kury's and I use the stock shifter. I put them on not for looks but for comfort on all day rides and they help a lot. The angle is adjustable so I set them to have the front lower than the back to better match the natural angle of my foot and to be able to get my toe under the shifter easier.
Before I installed them I took a measurement from the floor to the bottom outside end of the stock peg. Took the same measurement with the mini boards. The mini's are 3/4" hiigher than the stock pegs so I don't think they have reduced the lean angle of the bike.
I used to occasionally scrape a peg but not very often. Since installing the mini boards I've never scraped one.

Ralph Wenzl
Zoiks! The minis sit even HIGHER than the OEM pegs?? I need a replacement foot rest to be at least the same height as the stock pegs, if not a tad lower.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Isopegs. They work like the OEM pegs but are adjustable. I never could get my feet back far enough to drop my heels off the stocks and they got uncomfortable. I can adjust the back of the peg down and level my feet. I have Iso highway pegs and the match, giving it a good look.
Happy hunting and I agree, buy from Hal.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts

Any thoughts?
Be careful here as there are downsides on both. Don't get the floorboards unless you live and ride in the flatlands and won't be going on any corners, curves or angled turns and corners. They will drag like crazy.

The Mini's look good, but I found they only work well on one side of the 1800. They simply get in the way of the left foot shifting process so I found it was better to have a smaller peg on the left side. I like the additional support on the right foot and nobody notices the difference of pegs so I kept it that way. All in all, keep looking unless you want to buy two sets of pegs - mini's and something like the Kury Dually ISO pegs.

DaleC

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd like floorboards, but don't want a hell and toe shifter. I tried highway boards and they make me have to spread out like I'm trying to mount a horse. Mick O Pegs was the answer. They allow me to extend my feet down, as floorboards would do, but not up and out like highway boards...plus when not in use they are up and out of the way. Most comfortable thing I've tried.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Srinehart,

I have three questions about yours:
1) Are they the Kuryakyns?
2) How long have you had them installed?
3) Have you had any issues with the heel/toe shifter causing problems with the OEM shift mechanism, or any problems with deplating chrome?
4) What is the distance between the heel and toe shifter? My boot is 12".
Yes they are the Kuryakyns
a little over a year
I have seen no issues with shifting but i don't try to shift hard and i have never had any issue with Kury chrome, on this bike or my other one.
There is 12" between the shifter.
I did a trip last year with these on, 600 miles every day and they made the difference for me. There are some many positions that you can put your feet and my legs would get cramps if i tried using the highway pegs to much.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
ISO Pegs are adjustable?? Since when?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ISO Pegs are adjustable?? Since when?
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=590&str=4

I'm fairly certain he was talking about those, and yes they can be mounted in place of the normal OEM pegs. It's just a different mounting system. My friend has them, but I don't think they would be much more comfortable than the stock, though they have a better look IMHO.

Speaking of opinions, I appreciate everyone's inputs. That being said, flaming is counter-productive to forum discussions. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes they are the Kuryakyns
a little over a year
I have seen no issues with shifting but i don't try to shift hard and i have never had any issue with Kury chrome, on this bike or my other one.
There is 12" between the shifter.
I did a trip last year with these on, 600 miles every day and they made the difference for me. There are some many positions that you can put your feet and my legs would get cramps if i tried using the highway pegs to much.
Srinehart,

Thank you very much for the info. :thumbup: If you don't mind, I'd like to PM you to get a few more details.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts