GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every mention or photo of floorboards I see includes the heel/toe shifter. The shifter appears to be a one piece item. Does anyone make just the front lever (toe shifter) for use with floorboards? I don't see it listed by Kuryaken or on any of the accessory websites. Have I missed it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Every mention or photo of floorboards I see includes the heel/toe shifter. The shifter appears to be a one piece item. Does anyone make just the front lever (toe shifter) for use with floorboards? I don't see it listed by Kuryaken or on any of the accessory websites. Have I missed it?
my take on floor boards is, since your foot position is back so far they would put your foot in a bind cuz your toes need to point down slightly to be comfortable. i also don't think there would be enough space to get your toe under the shifter to up shift without the heel lever. i could be wrong here. bill

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Here ya go . . . Just the shifter w/out the floorboards:

$134.99
Kuryakyn GL1800 heel toe shift kit
www.wingstuff.com

I have the whole set and I love them! I wear a size 11 Cruiserworks boots and have no trouble shifting and lots of room on the boards to move my feet around. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I don't know about other floorboards w/heel toe shifter...On the kurys there's not enough room to get your toe under the front shifter to be able to shift up with your toe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about other floorboards w/heel toe shifter...On the kurys there's not enough room to get your toe under the front shifter to be able to shift up with your toe
That's the point. If you could have just the toe shift lever you could put it on the splines where you needed it to get your toe under it. Hence my original question. Not everybody wants to heel shift. Those with large boots don't want their foot trapped on the board. Where is the toe shift only option for the boards?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...... you could put it on the splines where you needed it to get your toe under it.
Maybe I just answered my own question. Are there splines on the transmission shaft to which the shifter attaches? If not then that would explain it. This is my first Wing and it's new so I am not very knowledgable about the mechanical aspects of it. On my previous bikes the shift lever attached to a splined shaft and was adjustable.

W

·
0 Posts
I know of four different brands of full floorboards for the 1800 and all of them come with heel/toe shifters. The shifter is built-in to the mounting bracket and is not removable (at least not with hand tools). The problem is that the boards are long enough and extend forward far enough that the front edge is very close to the shift lever - too close to be able to get your toe under. Even if you moved the shift lever up high enough, there probably wouldn't be enough travel left to upshift because of the proximity of the engine...not to mention that you'd still have the heel/toe shifter that came with them.

There are plenty of oversize footpegs that can be used without a heel/toe shifter. They're nowhere near as big as a full floorboard but they have more room than the stock pegs.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Basically the full floor board is flat and hinger, not on a spline like setup, and the board is at or just below the shifter, and you just can not get a toe under it to up ****. I toyed with that idea some and the idea is good, but the mechanics, and linkages is too complicated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments. I see the problem now. I was looking for a way to get some movement of my legs on longer trips without having to revert to highway pegs. The floorboards on my HD Ultra let me move my legs around so much I have never felt the need for highway pegs.
The riding position on the GL is not all that different than on my old R1100RT, and on that bike I was always looking for a way to straighten out my knees after awhile. Eventually I ended up with the J Peg solution on that bike. Maybe I'll need to look at the MOP's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts