GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 85 wing I had floorboards and loved them. Being wingless for about 15 years and reciently purchasing an 08 1800, I would like some input on floorboards for the 1800. Likes, dislikes, is one brand better than the other. Does the foot position change make this better? Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Harold

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
+ and -
I think floorboards on the 1800 are more comfortable
They lessen the clearance before the metal scrapes
Some feel the heel/toe shifter increases the potential of shifter fork problems

Your choice
I would not have them on my 1800

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Fables are told.
Many stories abound.
Many experts say , oh my heel/toe, will cause harm to your toes.
May cause a bunion on your heel.

Will cause excessive tire wear, and you have to ride like a man straddling a buffalo........

I like mine, they are great. Much better foot position on a long ride, combined with Mics they are very comfy.

As for dragging I use that as a warning to behave, adopt a better line in the next curve, really have no desire to fulcrum the front tire up into the air.

Different brands, I hear one causes the bike to run in reverse, kinda time saving thing, you do not have to punch the reverse button.....:lol:

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I've had the Kury Floorboards on for over a year now and love them! Lots of room to move my feet around and effortless shifting! Bolt on the steel floorboard savers from Traxxion Dynamics (Thanks DJ Fire) and lay down a shower of sparks on those tight turns! Waaaaay cool! Hehe! Since I've had these, I rarely use my highway pegs anymore! :thumbup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have ridden Wings with and without. I personally prefer no boards. I had a problem with my feet fitting properly on the boards and getting my toe under the shift lever. I couldn't get used to using the heel shift part. Another issue was that in order to lower the side stand, you have to lift the floorboard unless you purchase an extension.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm going to have to say no to boards on the wing. They hit the ground way sooner than my pegs do and that would result in the S/O poking me in the ribs a lot sooner than she normally would, which would really bum me out.
Bottom line, I'm a happier rider without boards. :thumbup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
floor boards

I am not and expert on this, but I just got my 06 wing a few weeks ago and it had the Kuryakyn boards and heel toe shift installed. Not sure I like them, seems like a wider stance required when stopping, and I have gone to put the kickstand down with the bike running, and my foot hit the rear shift and it jumped into gear. Shifts fine, but not easy to use just the toe shift like I am used to. I ride and HD also with the foot boards and heel toe shift, and think they work better together. On the HD I use only the toe shift just out of old habits I guess. The HD boards are further forward and don't come into play when putting your feet down. The Kuryakyn system shifts fine, but I am gathering up the stock pegs and brake pedal so I can give that a try.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the Rivco floorboards. Adding them was one of the first adjustments I made to the wing. I do a lot of long distance riding, and the pegs were a problem in a) I have very "fidgety" legs, and like to move my feet / legs around alot and b) the pegs dug into my arches and my feet would get cramps.

I made 2 adjustments to the set-up (pictures below). 1) Made a new rear brake riser that was narrower than the one provided by Rivco. And 2) cut a small piece of angle iron, glued on some rubber to the top, and created a new "toe shifter". Now I can slide both of my feet forward - where before they couldn't.

In addition, I also have the Rivco passenger footrests. When riding solo, I angle the right side footrest (rear brake side of bike) so I can place my heal on the passenger footrest and my toe on the floorboard - see last photo. Just another position that I can shift my legs when traveling.

IMGP3012.jpg

IMGP3013.jpg

IMGP3014.jpg

IMGP3015.jpg

IMGP3016.jpg

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
No floorboards here, but anything you can do to get your legs in other comfortable positions is a plus. Including floorboards. Rivco does make a superior product. They do not rust easily as some other products do.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am not and expert on this, but I just got my 06 wing a few weeks ago and it had the Kuryakyn boards and heel toe shift installed. Not sure I like them, seems like a wider stance required when stopping, and I have gone to put the kickstand down with the bike running, and my foot hit the rear shift and it jumped into gear. Shifts fine, but not easy to use just the toe shift like I am used to. I ride and HD also with the foot boards and heel toe shift, and think they work better together. On the HD I use only the toe shift just out of old habits I guess. The HD boards are further forward and don't come into play when putting your feet down. The Kuryakyn system shifts fine, but I am gathering up the stock pegs and brake pedal so I can give that a try.
Wow, my story exactly! Except the fellow I bought my '06 from 4 weeks ago still had his pegs so I put them back on. I have boards on my Vulcan, and in that feet-forward position I find them really comfortable. But in the bar-stool seating position of the Goldwing - not so much. I want to get some Mik-o-pegs to stretch out a bit, but I think the boards will stay off.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
702 Posts
After many miles and years on my Nomad, with it's feet forward position and heel and toe shifter, I found it impossible to be comfortable with the pegs on the Wing. I'm 6'2' with long legs, and just couldnt get used to the conventional riding position again. So I added the Kuryakyn floorboards and heel and toe shifter, and it made it much more comfortable - not as good as the Nomad - but now acceptable.

Only problem is the kickstand, but I'm learning to lift the floorboard with my foot before lowering the side stand.
It's very much a personal matter and level of comfort, but I'll never go back to conventional pegs...

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I've had the Kury Floorboards on for over a year now and love them! Lots of room to move my feet around and effortless shifting! Bolt on the steel floorboard savers from Traxxion Dynamics (Thanks DJ Fire) and lay down a shower of sparks on those tight turns! Waaaaay cool! Hehe! Since I've had these, I rarely use my highway pegs anymore! :thumbup:
My opinion and experience exactly.

I know exactly what the recent new Wing owners with unfamiliar floorboards are experiencing. I had precisely the same experience.

I had Shawnee Honda install the Kuyakyn handlebar risers and rider floorboards on my Wing before I picked it up. The boards made me feel insecure the first few days as I was trying to adjust to riding a much wider, larger, and heavier machine. I felt awkward and insecure when manuevering at low speed and stopping on uneven ground. I removed the boards and put the OEM pegs back on. After several thousand miles of riding and getting comfortable with the Wing I put the boards back on days before a 4700 mile road trip. Now I love them and would not ride without them. A buddy who has ridden for years and bought a new Wing in '08 swapped bikes with me for a few miles on a recent weekend ride and liked the bar risers and rider boards so much he now has them on his.

My advice is to ride with the rider boards installed for a few thousand miles and get used to them and the Wing. If you also have the factory pegs you might want to remove the boards until you get comfortable with the Wing then put the boards back on. If you decide you don't like them members on this website will jump at a chance to buy your takeoff rider boards and will mail you their OEM pegs.

BTW, I asked the experienced and knowledgeable Goldwing tech at the local dealer that services my wing if the heel and toe shifter would increase failure rate of the transmission or void my warranty. He said no to both questions. He had no problem with them and he's the guy who would manage a warranty claim if I have a bad transmission down the line.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just went back to OEM from Boards

I just bought a bike with the floor boards and I changed back so what I removed is for Sale. Haven't decided on a price yet but they are in like new condition.
I believe they are the Kuryakyn.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've had 'boards on every Wing I've owned. No trans issues, boot toe stays shiny and unscuffed, lots of room to move around. YMMV...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts