GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use floorboards? How do you like them? Which ones do you prefer? I'd like to be able to change my feet position a little every once in a while. I've seen the hwy. pegs but I'm 5'8" and I don't really want to spread my 31" inseams that wide. Maybe the mini- boards?

Past Master

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I had floor boards on my GL1500 and being wider than the foot peg, they scraped constantly in tight curves.

When I got my GL1800, I promised myself that I would not repeat the same mistake that I had done with my older Wing. Heck, the foot pegs scrape a lot as they are, imagine putting something in their place that's wider. No thanks, I'll pass.

Your money, your bike, your choice. Just not for me.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Do any of you use floorboards? How do you like them? Which ones do you prefer? I'd like to be able to change my feet position a little every once in a while. I've seen the hwy. pegs but I'm 5'8" and I don't really want to spread my 31" inseams that wide. Maybe the mini- boards?

Past Master
If you plan on riding any roads that have any meaningful amount of curves and corners in them, forget about installing floorboards on the 1800. Not the accessory of choice for that kind of riding (which IMO is the preferred road to ride).

DaleC

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had them on about a week when I went to Big Bend, dragged them almost every turn, rode the twisted sisters on way back home, almost to the point of being unsafe. Gave them to a friend to put on his moped. Going down the "Big Road" fine, want to feel the lean, keep the pegs. My .02

·
Registered
66 Posts
Now some input from one of the more laid back riders.
I like my floorboards. Going down the road I can move my feet around quite a bit. Using just the floorboards, I hang my heel on the front edge and tilt my foot down, slide my foot back to the back of the boards and put my heel on the front edge of the passenger floorboard, slide my feet off the side of the floorboard and catch my heel on the side, and sometimes I even just leave my feet sitting flat on the boards. Lots of variety and I tend to stay pretty comfortable. Using my highway pegs opens up even more positions to stay comfy for hours at time.
Have not drug parts in any corners, but still LOVE my Wing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the Kury boards installed and love them. I like that you can change foot positions and like the heel/toe shifter once I got use to it.

As far as scrapping, I have scraped them a few times on the twisties but did no damage to them since they have replaceable protectors on the bottom. To minimize scraping, I just make sure that the pre-load adjuster is set correctly so the GW does not ride too low.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Now some input from one of the more laid back riders.
I like my floorboards. Going down the road I can move my feet around quite a bit. Using just the floorboards, I hang my heel on the front edge and tilt my foot down, slide my foot back to the back of the boards and put my heel on the front edge of the passenger floorboard, slide my feet off the side of the floorboard and catch my heel on the side, and sometimes I even just leave my feet sitting flat on the boards. Lots of variety and I tend to stay pretty comfortable. Using my highway pegs opens up even more positions to stay comfy for hours at time.
Have not drug parts in any corners, but still LOVE my Wing.
+1, I have the Kury ones and love them, very seldom do i touch the highway pegs now, and i have never drug them. I think you will be pleased with them. I came from a cruiser with them and i really like the heel toe shifter and i can ride for more miles without getting tired. Did 600 mile days going out west last year and it made all the difference.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Loved them on the 1500, but not sure will put them on the 1800 I have been dragging the pegs to much already. I think will need to up the rear up to about 25 & see if that will stop it, then maybe boards. I do love the heal/toe shifter I do go to my heal for 2nd some times yet :lol: & oops nothing there. :22yikes:

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Just say no to floor boards on a wing.

Less cornering clearance

Shifter fork issues

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have Kury boards and I like them. I also have the Kury highway boards and the passenger boards. Gives lots of different foot positions.....they are a tad pricey and for that kind of money....I ain't scrapin nuthin!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have Rivco boards w/ heel - toe shifter and love them.....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have the Kury boards and like them.
The X came with them.

I'm more into nice sweeping roads.Not trying to impress anyone behind me anymore.
Have scratched the asphalt a time or hundred.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Big Bike Parts mini boards on mine, they give me some options with foot placement and dont stick out much more than the stock pegs. They seem to raise my knees a hair more than the stock pegs but the pitch is adjustable so you can set them where you are comfortable. I am 6'2" and they are alright for me, but I am on the hiway pegs as much as I can. No heel/toe shifter though.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I'm personally no fan of floorboards... I've never had them but I've ridden bikes with them and they just seem "unnatural" to me... I guess I'm just too use to pegs, having ridden dirt bikes, sport bikes and cruisers (that just had pegs)... seems strange not to be able to rotate your foot around a peg...

Certainly, the current GW has a "mini" floorboard or a "flat" peg... I do prefer it.... I have Kury hwy pegs....I find them to be fine...

I don't have both feet ess. ever on both hwy pegs at the same time... I usually have one foot propped up and the other resting on the standard peg... and switch as needed.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
never owned a pair, but will say that there's so little room to move your feet on a Goldwing, what difference would floorbaords make?? :shrug:
On my Wing I had mini floorboards mounted on the vertical bars and it worked well for me to get a stretch and change positions....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have the Kury boards and H/T shifter. I like them very much and because of an earlier wreck my that crushed my left foot and ankle are now fused so I cannot use the peg shifter. As discussed earlier It allows for you to move your feet around to make yourself comfortable. I will admit the H/T shifter may put more pressure on the shifter and it is not as far apart as a cruiser but it works. As far as in the curves the boards rise up to a folded position if you get down that far which you should not be because the crash bars would have already hit. I can ride the tight turns and switchbacks pretty aggressively, if you are dragging something all the time you are not doing it right but to answer the boards will not dig in they will fold up.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I like my Floor board. Yea they Scrape every now and then. No Biggy.
The only thing I don't like is trying to reach the Ground when Stopped.
You have to put your feet out Wider and its hard to reach. I'm 6 foot and you being shorter. could pose a problem.
But I just try not to stop. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Kury Boards and H/T shifter. I don't really care for them. I have to fold the left board up in order to put the kickstand down. I also have a size 13 boot that is longer than the H/T shifter. I never rode the 1800 with the factory pegs so I cannot relate. However, if I had it to do over again I would not of bought either accessory.

I would suggest to purchase the Tulsa belly pan instead...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have the Kury Boards and H/T shifter. I don't really care for them. I have to fold the left board up in order to put the kickstand down. I also have a size 13 boot that is longer than the H/T shifter. I never rode the 1800 with the factory pegs so I cannot relate. However, if I had it to do over again I would not of bought either accessory.

I would suggest to purchase the Tulsa belly pan instead...
There is a fix for that. They make an extender for your Kickstand. Got one on mine and it makes it real easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts