GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I get a bit of guidance from some of you folks in Florida who have purchased a bike from a dealer OUTSIDE the state...

What's the routine for registering it in Florida? What do you do to ride the bike back to Florida, or do you need to trailer it? Can you get a "temp" tag to take with you to pickup the bike?

I know this sounds a bit basic, but being from Canada, this is the first time I'll be registering a bike (or any other motor vehicle, for that matter) in Florida, and I dont know the process. At home, the dealer registers the bike for you and you take delivery all licenced and ready to ride, but I know it wont be the same here.

Any guidance, suggestions, warnings, etc, will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
BrianH said:
Could I get a bit of guidance from some of you folks in Florida who have purchased a bike from a dealer OUTSIDE the state...Any guidance, suggestions, warnings, etc, will be appreciated.
It's all as you said ... pretty straight forward.

You can get a temp tag (at least from Carolina Honda you can) to drive it down if you wish.
They'll give you all the paper work you need.

Bring it to the DMV to the get VIN verified.

total cost for mine was about $1150 ... tax and tag.

PM me if you need any other info

Dennis

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
As Dennis said, it's very straight forward. The temp tag gets you from the dealer back to Florida.

You go visit the local Tax Collectors office. Look up yours here: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/offices/

You will have an MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). You turn that in along with a copy of your bill of sale, pay the sales tax, pay for the tag and you're on your way. If you purchasing the vehicle outright (no financing), you will receive your title in 2-3 weeks in the mail. If you're financing the bike, it will be sent directly to your lienholder.

Total tax should be 6% of the selling price of the bike plus $50. For example you paid $17,000 for the bike. Florida tax would be $1070.00 (6% of $17,000+$50). Costs for a tag (registration) should be around $40.00

Real easy to do. Mine took all of 15 minutes, and most of that was writing out the check for the sales tax! :evil:

Bartman

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Total tax should be 6% of the seilling price of the bike plus $50. For example you paid $17,000 for the bike. Florida tax would be $1070.00 (6% of $17,000+$50). Costs for a tag (registration) should be around $40.00
Bart,
I think your number is more accurate
... now that I read your post and jogged my memory
... I think I paid more like $1105
... not $1150 as I originally said.

You can do everything you need at a Florida Tag office.

Dennis

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for ther info guys....

Just so that Im clear, as you saying that the selling dealer (out of state) will provide the temporary tag to get me home, and then once I visit the local licence office (there's one just around the corner from me) and register it and pay my money, they'll give me another temporary tag until the proper one comes through? Or do I just continue to use the temp one from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
BrianH said:
Thanks for ther info guys....

Just so that Im clear, as you saying that the selling dealer (out of state) will provide the temporary tag to get me home, and then once I visit the local licence office (there's one just around the corner from me) and register it and pay my money, they'll give me another temporary tag until the proper one comes through? Or do I just continue to use the temp one from the dealer?
seller will give you a paper temp tag.

Fl DMV will give you a metal plate tag (permanent) to replace it when you visit their office.

In my county (Marion), you can pay an extra seven dollars and they'll give you the title right on the spot (I don't know if all counties do that or not)
... you won't have to wait a few weeks to get it in the mail.

Dennis

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Yep, they give you the metal plate right there on the spot. It's really a painless procedure.

Now that I think about it, Honda of Sumter didn't give me a "temp" tag like you normally see with all the numbers and everything. It just said "Honda of Sumter." I also had my MSO and my bill of sale. If anyone had stopped me, I would have shown them my paperwork. Most LEO's won't hassle you on something that minor. I titled and registered mine the next day so no big deal.

Bartman

·
Registered
115 Posts
One other item:

If the motorcycle is "pre-owned", you'll have to have a LEO fill out some paperwork too, which takes maybe ten or fifteen minutes more. The LEO verifies the VIN on the paperwork matches the machine. I called the sheriff's department, and they sent one over to me, I didn't even have to go anywhere! :D

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Ruben said:
One other item:

If the motorcycle is "pre-owned", you'll have to have a LEO fill out some paperwork too, which takes maybe ten or fifteen minutes more. The LEO verifies the VIN on the paperwork matches the machine. I called the sheriff's department, and they sent one over to me, I didn't even have to go anywhere! :D
They'll do that at the tag office also. :)

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
The amount of sales tax will be determined by what county you live in. Where I live it is 7%, not 6% like Dennis.

DMV will ask you, if they don't know for sure.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you buy an extended warranty or any goddies at the time of the purchase. Make sure they don't put thoses items on the bike bill of sale or you will have to pay tax on all thoses items at the too.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Wolfer said:
If you buy an extended warranty or any goddies at the time of the purchase. Make sure they don't put thoses items on the bike bill of sale or you will have to pay tax on all thoses items at the too.
GREAT POINT!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Bartman

·
Registered
679 Posts
6.5% here in Marion County (Ocala). Bought my '06a at Southern Powersports for about $3000 less than anyone else I could find in Florida, rode the bus up to Chattanooga (an experience I think everyone should have. Once.). Took a cab to the dealer, spent about 4 hours there twiddling my thunbs. Received the bike covered in oil and dirt. Spent an hour or so adding Ergo Pegs and Butler Mug et al for the 500 mile trip back. Practiced turns and stops in a parking lot, and hit the road. I can say with authority of personal experience that the heated grips WILL get hot enough to cause blistering through padded gloves.

Went to the downtown Dunnellon tax office and paid my $1211.73 for tax tag and title at 6.5%, received my permanent plate and, since last April, added 15,000 miles to the bike.

Ride long and safe..and they don't care where you got the bike as long as you're paying the Florida tax.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just went through the process and I must add to be certain that the dealer, if it is a new bike, gives you the point of origin certificate. This is needed to get the Florida title and until a title can be issued (with or without lien holder) a Fl metal plate will not be issued. Also ensure you have the certified odometer form.
Due to the out of state dealer not giving me the origin paper I hade to run with a FL paper temp tag for a few weeks, and make two trips to the tag office! :evil:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought mine at Schroaders, but wouldn't buy there again, and road it back. They put temporary tags on. And do make sure you get your MSO. I didn't get mine and had to call Schroaders to mail it and of course they had they wrong address anyway.

Bartman gave you the skinny on getting it registered.

enjoy.

I hear Cool Springs has good prices but they didn't have what I wanted at the time. I did call them before Schroaders.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Was looking at purchasing out of state and riding it back, but found a local dealer who got very close to the price....close enough to save going elsewhere to purchase and ride back.

The DMV process though as all have said should be fairly painless. Good Luck!

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
North Florida said:
Bought my '06a at Southern Powersports for about $3000 less than anyone else I could find in Florida,
Southern Honda is also where Im looking. Were you fairly happy with the way they dealt with you? Or were you treated like you were low-balling them? Just curious about what to expect... <smile>

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Brian,

If you haven't picked a dealership yet, take a look at Honda of Sumter, in Sumter SC. http://www.hondaofsumter.com/Home.aspx

Ted is great. His prices listed on the website are the Out The Door price. No foolishness and no waiting around for hours to get your bike. They have a pretty good parts and accessories department and no pressure to buy anything additional.

It's a little closer than Southern Powersports and they're super people to deal with.

Bartman

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
BrianH said:
... were you treated like you were low-balling them? Just curious about what to expect... <smile>
Brian
got mine at Carolina Honda ... ask for John
803-252-3380
http://www.carolinahonda.com/mypage.html?pg=Location

They were great ... the bike was ready and clean and zero squawks after I got it home.
They have a HUGE showroom ... first class.

I purchased quite a bit of extra stuff in boxes and took it with me
They gave me a 20% discount on everything.
They offered to put it on for free but
I WANTED to put the stuff on myself and learn about the bike.

After I got home I really did not care for about half the stuff I purchased (after looking at it and reading here).

I called them and they took back everything I did not want and they did not charge me any fees or restocking charges.

I thought they were great and I'll go back there for my next bike.

Dennis

·
Registered
311 Posts
Brian, one thing to be aware of is that the price of the extended warranty is fixed in the state of FL, no discount allowed by law. If you buy it out of state and register the bike in FL the extended warranty may not be honored.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts