GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I are planning a trip to New Mexico in the near future. We have a sister that lives in Las Cruces. She bought a new house and says she has plenty of room. I'm thinking within a month before it get s too hot. Any tips for what route to take, places to stay along the way, and what to see once there?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My brother and I are planning a trip to New Mexico in the near future. We have a sister that lives in Las Cruces. She bought a new house and says she has plenty of room. I'm thinking within a month before it get s too hot. Any tips for what route to take, places to stay along the way, and what to see once there?
Within the month, huh? I'm planning on going to NM in late May/early June and am an the scout for riders to hook up with...

Michael

·
Registered
343 Posts
Kinda depends on how much of a hurry your in. You could take I 10 to El Paso then north to Las Cruces. If you take some time you could spend a day or two in the Texas Hill Country. South of Kerrville, Tx is Bandrea, Leaky, Camp Wood and the Twisted Sisters. Neat motorcycle museum in Leaky. After that possibly catch the Carlsbad Caverns south of Carlsbad, NM. Then take a loop thru Ruidoso and Cloudcroft NM.

Keep me posted on your trip, I am always looking for a good excuse to ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
About 75 miles north west of Las Cruces is a ghost town named Lake Valley. The town is located on NM 27. My wife and I are the caretakers of the town and have lots of visitors from Las Cruces. The bike ride up can be accomplished on back roads and after a visit you can head north and west on NM 152 through the Gila Mountains. Now thats a nice ride!

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That ghost town ride sounds especially interesting. I appreciate all the tips for good roads and interesting things to see. My brother and I are in no hurry to get there and have plenty of time, perhaps 3 weeks if needed to see as much as possible. We haven't decided on our departure date yet but I'm thinking a month give or take. Thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have any questions about Lake Valley NM, just ask. We are open from 9am to 4pm Thursday thru Monday. We are closed on Tuesday and Wednsday

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
If you have time, I recommend the Big Bend area, Ft. Davis and the McDonald Observatory. the Big Bend National Park is one of the largest in the system and one of the least visited, though it has much to offer. It won't be far out of your way either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts