GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my 2009 GL1800 sound like the idle speed is fluctuating, especially when first started up? Like RRrrrrr RRrrrrr RRrrrr. LOL Anyhow you get the point, I hope

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Why does my 2009 GL1800 sound like the idle speed is fluctuating, especially when first started up? Like RRrrrrr RRrrrrr RRrrrr. LOL Anyhow you get the point, I hope
Possibly you have a clutch switch failing. The symptoms are starting up cold and pulling in the clutch and shifting from neutral to 1st. When doing that there should be no idle change. If so, your clutch switch is probably shorting in the open position. When that happens, I think this occurs. The ECM see that you are in gear, it thinks your clutch lever is out, so the rear wheel should be moving but its not ... so the ECM gets confused.

If your symptoms are not as described above, then it is something else.

·
Registered
16,368 Posts
Richard has the correct answer, my cyber crystal ball confirms. With a fully cold engine out of the garage, in neutral on center stand, start the engine and let it idle without any throttle manipulation until thermostate reaches its normal full "sweet spot" reading, then about 5 minutes more or until fans cycle to be sure. Then key off with no throttle manipulation. When the key is switched off the old idle map is replaced with the new. The RRRRrrrrrr - RRRRrrrrrr- idle will be a steady purrrrrrrrrrr.

My 2002 was delivered with the erratic idle and even lost its idle may twice for some unknown reason, but then never lost it again for the last 12 years. I have yet to hear of any such problem with a 2018+ model.

prs

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
OMG! I'm going to try that trick myself, when I start her up after her hibernating period, in March............She's tucked away in my garage with a nice warm blanket keeping her warm
Thank you,
Ronnie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts