GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front brakes are dragging and I believe that the master cylinder has debris causing the brakes to drag. I was going to remove the fliud from the master cylinder with a suction syringe. then add neww oil and then open my bleeder and pump out old fluid until fresh oil flows out. Then bleed system. I was planning to do the same with the rear system. Any suggestions and is this a good way to flush the system? Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I do not have a dragging problem but thinking about flushing mine. Thought I had read just to flush to get old out and put new in WITHOUT hitting brake as that would get air.
Maybe someone will be along in a little. I learned a lot yesterday from just hitting "Search" on coolant drain bolt, lots of good info here from fellow Wingers. You might try search also. Good luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My front brakes are dragging and I believe that the master cylinder has debris causing the brakes to drag. I was going to remove the fliud from the master cylinder with a suction syringe. then add neww oil and then open my bleeder and pump out old fluid until fresh oil flows out. Then bleed system. I was planning to do the same with the rear system. Any suggestions and is this a good way to flush the system? Thanks, Ron
There are quicker ways (Mity-Vac) but your technique will work fine.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
That's the way to do it, should be done every two years, clutch too.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Hopefully, you've been bleeding the brakes and clutch every 12k as required per Honda.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hopefully, you've been bleeding the brakes and clutch every 12k as required per Honda.
Mine had 17K when I bought it, 25K now...has not ever been done but I am working on it.:eek:4:

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Mine had 17K when I bought it, 25K now...has not ever been done but I am working on it.:eek:4:
Cool ... it is probably time for a coolant change too. As a minimum, follow the maintance schedule in your Owners Manual.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
What year is your bike? If it is only a couple of years old, it is unlikely that debris is clogging anything.

A light dragging of the brake pads is pretty common, and not normally a concern. You will likely find that bleeding them will not stop the dragging. You would probably do more good by removing the calipers and cleaning the slides.

Also, if you have had the front tire changed recently, the front axle may not have been aligned. Many dealers don't do it. There is a feeler gauge in your Honda tool kit for setting the caliper clearance.

If you do decide to flush the brake fluid, make sure you follow the proper sequence, and you have to do front and back brakes since we have a linked brake system. There are 7 bleeders total if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This is what worked best for me. Makes it quick and easy and don't need two people to do it.

Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeding Kit

http://www.motostrano.com/moprohybrblk.html

Like everything else in life just take your time. I tired the mighty vac just was easier to use this little gadget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts