GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm flying to Los Angeles on Tuesday, followed by an quick18 minute Uber ride, to the pay the dealer, and I will be ready to drive the brand-new 2018 standard DCT Gold Wing back to San Francisco.
I've been drooling 馃槢馃おover the 2018 DCT for 2 years now, finally going to pull the trigger. Barely can afford it. But now we all see life is really short馃樂. Absolute great deal found in Los Angeles. 0 suitable Gold Wing's in San Francisco.

I'm already forgetting what I forgot to remember. I just know I'm forgetting something important.馃

I feel like a few members have done the same technique... stuff a bunch of stuff into a backpack hop on an airplane, and get on a motorcycle a few hours later, for 2 or 3 days. I probably will stop in Santa Barbara for the night.

It's just that my list seems too simple what am I forgetting. What lesson will I learn.?
My helmet will not fit in my backpack, so I'm going to carry the helmet as one carry-on, and the backpack as another carry-on. no luggage checked.

1. helmet / internal sunshield.
2. jacket/ gloves.
3. iPhone.... do I need to bring the phone charger?
4. call the insurance company
5. longsleeved shirt and/or sunscreen 100掳 in California right now, so not wearing a jacket in that.
6. should I bring my iPad?
7.facemask, but of course馃樂
8. ????????
Seems like these items get the job done.

But what about the bike, I've watched approximately 40 videos on how to drive it how to start it, how to use all the controls or most of the controls. I feel very confident, this is easy peasy... which is not always a good thing.

I owned a 2006 BMW M3 with DCT, OMG.... and 9 years on a Suzuki 1300 Hayabusa, I hit 180 mph 馃殌.
the last 10 years have been on a 2001 Kawasaki Concours, my my how technology has changed.

What are some things to help me avoid disaster, the main thing that comes to my mind is not fussing with all the buttons while driving. Any lessons learned?

Cheers
thanks for any helpful comments.
I'm 100% certain I'm going to fall in love with this bike.馃槏馃槏馃グ馃ぉ馃挅

Registered
Whatever you do don't forget to have fun!!! It's going to be a great adventure on a new bike. Maybe get some rain too. I like riding in the rain and the bike does great. Sure beats the hell out of buying local as the first ride is way too short. Priceless!!!

Registered
Bring a jacket. Leave the I Pad at home. You have your I Phone. The bike will charge your phone as you ride. Enjoy it's a great bike

Premium Member
Whatever you do don't forget to have fun!!! It's going to be a great adventure on a new bike. Maybe get some rain too. I like riding in the rain and the bike does great. Sure beats the hell out of buying local as the first ride is way too short. Priceless!!!
@Crabballs Funny, I thought I was the only one of few that did not mind riding in the rain, nice change in the heat of summer as long as it's a good constant rain to cool things down instead of the short rains that brings up steamy humid conditions. Enjoy the ride!

Premium Member
Enjoy your new GW! You very likely will fall in Love with this machine! Best MC I have ever owned bar none!

Banned
Bring a jacket! Safety is not something that should be ignored. I rode in full gear, Friday, for eight hours, in 100 degree heat. Yes, you'll arrive at your destination drenched in sweat, but you'll live. I keep a 64oz hydroflask in my top case as well as a 500ml "stow" flexible bottle in my glove box. With a modular helmet, you can easily hydrate from the flexible bottle even at a stop light. I'll stop every 60-90 minutes for 3-5 minutes to stretch my legs and hydrate from the hydroflask (nice and cold!).

Enjoy your new bike!

Registered
I'm flying to Los Angeles on Tuesday, followed by an quick18 minute Uber ride, to the pay the dealer, and I will be ready to drive the brand-new 2018 standard DCT Gold Wing back to San Francisco.
Welcome to the forum. As much as some might think it or like it, Cali is not a separate country. 馃槉 Many here (and you will soon) would consider a LA to Frisco ride as a quick jaunt for a good meal.

Gear up. It's CA freeways. Gear up.

Carry water. Eat light and avoid greasy fast food.

Be careful of getting too relaxed after a couple hours. Stay vigilant. You are new to this bike and you don't want to test the limits on the first day.

Registered
Reactions: 98valk

Registered
DO NOT LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP WITHOUT A COMPLETE, UNHURRIED, DETAILED BRIEFING OF THE BIKE AND ITS FEATURES. There are a lot of features to learn. You will experience information overload.

After your introduction to the bike, go for a ride and return to the dealership to clear up any questions you have regarding the bike's multitude of operations. You WILL forget some operations that will become second nature after some time.

ENJOY your new ride home.

Safe travels. :)

Tim

Banned
I would take the phone charger, ear-plugs, and non polarized sun glasses.
Why non-polarized?
Polarized sunglasses eliminate glare or reflections. It's the glare that tells you there's wet and potentially slippery stuff on the road surface.
Interesting. I always buy polarized sunglasses. They dramatically reduce eye fatigue, in my experience.

Edit: Nevermind, I had a brain fart. Although I do buy polarized sunglasses, it isn't applicable to me when I ride, as I use the tinted visor built into my helmet. I only switch to sunglasses when I stop and take off my helmet.

Registered
As @Zunaid mentioned, something for the seat or be prepared to stop and relax every 100 miles or so. The seat is absolutely the worst Honda has ever made. I have had mine upgraded and added beads but still find I am less comfortable than my stock 2004 seat. I am looking to upgrade my seat to something like a Russell Day Long.

Are you planning I-5 or PCH return to SF?

Registered
Polarized sunglasses eliminate glare or reflections. It's the glare that tells you there's wet and potentially slippery stuff on the road surface.

Tim

Thank you. Had not considered that. I wear polarized to be able to better see thru glass into oncoming vehicles. I will switch.

Registered
Dont let the technology overwhelm you. Put the radio on a statio and listen to it and DO NOT try to change stuff while zooming down the interstate. You will have plenty of time to learn all controls and bells and whistles riding in familiar territory close to home.

Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Why non-polarized?
Polarized sun glasses will make the plastic windshield, plastic dash panel and your helmet face shield look like it has a film on it and its a distraction and annoying.

Registered
Since my stroke i have super light sensitivity and have to wear fit-over polarized sunglasses over my regular glasses.

Registered
Check tire pressure before riding off. Mine was really low when I picked it up. I only rode 70 miles to get home.
To obtain a proper scuff on the new tires, take Highway 1 from SLO to SF.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts