GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted an exterior fm antenna? Interior one really sucks in my area. Just wondering if the stock one has the standard end on it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
This has been a disappointment so far. I only clearly pick up stations that are super close. FM superstations from Philadelphia that are crystal clear on any car radio fade in and out on the Wing. I'd love to get a look at the connection and see if something else could be rigged to work.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Very poor radio reception was something I noticed on my test rides too. Adding a whip antenna would probably do a lot to improve it, if it's possible.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I guess I am lucky. I live in the Houston metropolitan area and reception is great.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ok people, I’m not absolutely sure this is the connector we need for an external AM/FM antenna, but I just ordered one for me. So here is the one I believe we need.

PS, the one in the motorcycle might be the same but I didn’t want to take the bike apart to find ont. when I had the seat off I took photos of the connectors and this is the same as far as o can tell.

44AC64C8-E9EA-4B1E-9C2A-5B5A73372DEE.jpg

9030D4BB-70AB-49B7-A456-8C340B595A5B.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/CALAP-STORE-Aerial-Antenna-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B07FT21P92/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KWBTP3JP5JWHSD0N88C4

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
The 2018 seems to be on par with my 2002; which also had lousy FM reception. Added an antenna amplifier from RadioShack back in 2003 and it still picks-up fairly well.

prs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok people, I’m not absolutely sure this is the connector we need for an external AM/FM antenna, but I just ordered one for me. So here is the one I believe we need.

PS, the one in the motorcycle might be the same but I didn’t want to take the bike apart to find ont. when I had the seat off I took photos of the connectors and this is the same as far as o can tell.

View attachment 306297

View attachment 306299

https://www.amazon.com/CALAP-STORE-Aerial-Antenna-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B07FT21P92/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KWBTP3JP5JWHSD0N88C4
Certainly looks like it now to find one without waiting a month through amazon

·
Registered
593 Posts
Certainly looks like it now to find one without waiting a month through amazon
Order through amazon, then look for another source. This away you’ll eventually get one within a month either way. If you find another quicker source, let everyone else know. That called helping you’re fellow wingers!

·
Registered
593 Posts
What about an antenna and how to mount it - the next piece of the puzzle!
That is going to be a compromise. I was thinking even though it is a little more expensive then I like, purchase another CB antenna or last years AM/FM. I like the CB because the base is black. I need to try friends antenna and see if it threads into the CB base, if so I’ll go that way. I’ll use 3 ply aviation grade 3/32 plywood maybe 3x3” doubler under the metal plate with the base cut off due to wrong angle. Then us a grounding strap for electrical grounding.

Only a thought at this time.:NoCoffee:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Order through amazon, then look for another source. This away you’ll eventually get one within a month either way. If you find another quicker source, let everyone else know. That called helping you’re fellow wingers!
Will do. Also found some on ebay from China. Only $1.75 each may order a bunch and have them on hand for others.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

View attachment 306297

View attachment 306299

I have been looking for connectors and I've found that those are keyed. Fakra has about 16 different connectors that look like that. The differences are the color. The one pictured is curry in color. All the other colors have a different key. I've found some in the usa and will buy a few. these are the connector only and are crimp or solder on. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks like Harley has a antenna relocation kit Part # 76000582 that has the proper fakra wire. it can be mounted just about anywhere.
UPDATE. This plug does NOT fit the HONDA!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree that we need an external antenna.. I listen to a Columbus Ohio radio station. I'm about 30 miles away and it is in and out all the time. I use to listen to it up to 75 miles away on my old Wing!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

View attachment 306297

View attachment 306299

I ordered that adaptor from Amazon. Only took about 10 days to get it. It fits the stock port perfectly. I bought a cheap $19 adjustable base antenna from auto parts store.
I tuned to a station that had poor reception with the stock antenna. I plugged in the new antenna and it sounded awesome. With the adjustable base of the new antenna, it can be mounted just about anywhere at any angle where there is room. I did not mount it yet, but its only a matter of drilling a hole. I got an antenna with an 18" whip.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
I ordered that adaptor from Amazon. Only took about 10 days to get it. It fits the stock port perfectly. I bought a cheap $19 adjustable base antenna from auto parts store.
I tuned to a station that had poor reception with the stock antenna. I plugged in the new antenna and it sounded awesome. With the adjustable base of the new antenna, it can be mounted just about anywhere at any angle where there is room. I did not mount it yet, but its only a matter of drilling a hole. I got an antenna with an 18" whip.
That is very promising, nice job! This is an upgrade I will certainly be making to my GWT once I have it. Thank you all for pioneering this one!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts