GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a serious drop in reception with my stock FM radio when my HID lights power up.. If I switch to ACC. position the radio works fine,, turn switch to ON and the lights power up but radio reception then sucks big time,,, Any ideas on how to clear this up

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have noticed a serious drop in reception with my stock FM radio when my HID lights power up.. If I switch to ACC. position the radio works fine,, turn switch to ON and the lights power up but radio reception then sucks big time,,, Any ideas on how to clear this up
You can buy a harness from Electrical Connection that will only let your lower beams come on if the engine is running. It powers the ballasts when there is oil pressure.

Saves a lot of wear and tear on your ballasts.

I have used it for over a year and no problems. Very very easy installation.

gramps

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is a common problem with HID lights, it is due to the ballast producing EMI and the wiring acting as an antenna, then it starts to get into everything electrical. A lot will have to due with the quality of the ballast, inexpensive ballast will cause the most problems. There are things you can do to help reduce the EMI, make sure the ballast housing is grounded, shield the wires that supply power to the ballast and also shield the wires the supply power to the lights. If these fail then you may have to have a filter installed or you can make your own.

Here is a link that address the problem you are having: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?127030-Reduce-HID-ballast-radio-interference

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ALL!! I knew you guys would have a clus and point me in right direction
Thanks again

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy a harness from Electrical Connection that will only let your lower beams come on if the engine is running. It powers the ballasts when there is oil pressure.

That is what Lewis put on mine yesterday.
But that would not solve my problem As soon as the HIDs come on my radio reception goes south

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
But that would not solve my problem As soon as the HIDs come on my radio reception goes south
I never listen to my radio. I have a BikeMp3 GL2way CB, and a Honda MP3 player.

Maybe Techdude will chime in or you can call Electrical Connection to see what they say.

good luck

gramps

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a common problem with HID lights, it is due to the ballast producing EMI and the wiring acting as an antenna, then it starts to get into everything electrical. A lot will have to due with the quality of the ballast, inexpensive ballast will cause the most problems. There are things you can do to help reduce the EMI, make sure the ballast housing is grounded, shield the wires that supply power to the ballast and also shield the wires the supply power to the lights. If these fail then you may have to have a filter installed or you can make your own.

Here is a link that address the problem you are having: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?127030-Reduce-HID-ballast-radio-interference
I finally got time to read your link,,VERY thorough,, thank you!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I finally got time to read your link,,VERY thorough,, thank you!
Wrap ballasts and wires with aluminum foil? Don't know if it will work but that is what I'd try first.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Try disconnecting each of the ballasts in turn. Might just be one bad ballast.

I have DDMs in my low and fog lights. Hear a little buzzing when they turn on but it fades in a few seconds. No interference.

What brand of HIDs do you have? Is it a new issue or has it been like that since install? Where are the ballasts located? Have you had your top shelter off recently? Perhaps the radio antenna wasn't plugged all the way in? Or it is damaged.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try disconnecting each of the ballasts in turn. Might just be one bad ballast.

I have DDMs in my low and fog lights. Hear a little buzzing when they turn on but it fades in a few seconds. No interference.

What brand of HIDs do you have? Is it a new issue or has it been like that since install? Where are the ballasts located? Have you had your top shelter off recently? Perhaps the radio antenna wasn't plugged all the way in? Or it is damaged.
They were installed during the rebuild of my front end after the accident.. I did not do a whole lot of riding immediately after getting my bike back so did not notice the FM problem.. until the long trip a couple of weeks ago. realized I was picking up my normal strong stations. I figured something got broke and not fixed in accident.. but then right after I got back from 4000 miles trip I was changing oil. had the key on in acc so I could listen to radio when I noticed it works perfectly in ACC.
The interference does NOT go away once lights come on,..
Ballasts appear to be located up inside front fairing . they are accessable by reaching up from the forks area. Can not see what brand they are.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With all the suggestions from here I am going to start at cheap end and work my way up starting with tin foil wrap then that braided shielding and grounding the ballasts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wrap ballasts and wires with aluminum foil? Don't know if it will work but that is what I'd try first.

OMG...! Don't do that...!! That's the signal that calls in the Mother Ship...!! :shock:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
omg...! Don't do that...!! That's the signal that calls in the mother ship...!! :shock:
too late mother ships already been here,,, do you really think i was born this way,,,,,,,

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had the same trouble with my 1100 and HID the ferrite cores work well to cure it and are cheap just get half a dozen and put them on all the power leads
When you say "all the power leads" explain a bit more please Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Power leads to the ballasts
power leads to the bulbs from the ballasts
power lead to the radio

best way to put them on is to form a loop in the lead then put the ballast where the two leads pass each other

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Power leads to the ballasts
power leads to the bulbs from the ballasts
power lead to the radio

best way to put them on is to form a loop in the lead then put the ballast where the two leads pass each other

VERY GOOD suggestion I was wondering how to keep them from sliding around in the turbulence

1 - 20 of 21 Posts