GL1800Riders Forums banner

fm radio reception

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DailyRider 
#1 ·
Seems the am/fm radio doesn't have very good reception. Is there any way to boost the reception add antenna load or add something in line. While on trips seem to be constantly scanning for a station. Localy get a station and 25 miles away a person looses the station ??????:eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:

#4 ·
has it always been that way or did it change. 25 miles is bad. The radio might pick up a station without any antenna at that distance or shorter. could the cable be pulled from where it plugs in to the unit or pulled out of the antenna? sounds like the radio is working with little or no antenna. prob not a shorted cable cause then you would get NO reception.

#5 ·
I have an '03, and the reception is poor to bad. Was out just last night, and was constantly searching for a staton that would hold and not become mostly static.
I'd like to find out what's up with this thing.
Steve F

#6 ·
if your reception is that bad (25 miles), it sonds like you want to check your antenna connections ... and antenna. I'm pulling in FM stations for 75+ miles w/o a problem ... same on this '09 as on my '02.

#8 ·
fm/am reception

It's been like that since I bought it I purchased the bike in May of this year with 27,000 miles on nothing said about radio, and if you listened to a local channel and didn't get to far away from it or used a ipod thing then a person wouldn't know. I will try and follow the cable and see if they are intact or loose. May even swap out the antenna with a fellow rider to see if that makes a differance. Do they make a device like a swr meter for the cb's to test the radio ?? Thanks for all the imput

#9 ·
IIRC, there is a connection just outside the trunk (under the seat). Since you didn't install the CB antenna, my first question would be .... two antennas or one? Some have replaced the original antenna with a combination unit ... and that could affect quality of reception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.