GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank You to those who responded to my complaint!

The mute was not on and I have yet to change out the antenna lead to a ( Stand alone 3' lead ). Also I made sure the AVC was turned off and I have not installed an AMP. This is still my problem...With my MC in the garage ( not running ) with my four external speakers turned on my CD is very loud and clear. When I turn on my FM, AM, Weather band channels the volume is considerably lower. I usually only listen to FM channels where I have found that it's a very weak system. The Honda shop states that there is no AMP in the CD changer adding there should be no change in volume. A fellow 2002 Gold Wing owner told me that when he listens to his stereo/ intercom system he only has to turn it up to around 11-12 where he says " It's Plenty Loud". At HWY speeds it's all the way up to 20 on the intercom and 30 on the stereo!!! He does not have a CD. The M/C shop has put a call into their REP who as of FRI 10/13/06 hasn't returned the call. I guess that I could have recorded the CD on a higher volume setting however I don't understand why my volume is so much lower than other Gold Wing owners when it comes to the stereo side. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem ? If so what can I do to bring the volume up to match the Cd's. Also I was told they no longer make an AMP to improve FM stereo reception?

Thank You

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
F.Y.I. My '06 has no such problem. Like you already said, there is no additional power boost (i.e. separate amp)for the CD player so they both should have "approximately" the same volume. Do the FM stations have a strong signal? Is there any static through the speakers? Does the word STEREO on on the LCD flash at all or go off when listening to FM radio? You may already know this but if your having any of the previous 3 problems, it's an antenna related issue. By the way if I listen to my FM stations thru the external speakers at cruising speed (75-80mph) wearing a fullface helmet I typically have the volume set between 18 to 20. T. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to run a new coax cable for the antenna as mine was kinked in the harness somewhere between the radio unit and where the antenna plugs into it. I replaced the antenna with an aftermarket rubber one, and VOILA, the sound is better, volume is where its supposed to be, and I don't smack the top of the garage door when I go in and out! Honda had no other answer for me except to change the entire wiring harness, as they don't carry the coax from the unit to the antenna lead, it is built into the harness. That would require 40 hours labor (warranty, but not the answer for me). My fix cost under $15.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts