GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a GL 2003 (A) that has less than 1,000 miles. What I have found is at HWY speed I'm Having to turn up the FM stereo and intercom system all the way in order to hear it through the headsets. I have brand new KBC 3/4 open face helmets that came with J&M factory installed intercom system with Dina-port speakers. The stereo, compared to the Honda line 6 CD changer that I just installed, is not clear sounding weak and somewhat distorted with a "hissing" sound of static in the background. When I'm listening to Cd's turning the volume up to 22-23 is more than adequate. The bike has no CB having one (radio)antenna. One motorcycle shop said that they thought there was a recall on a lead wire that wasn't shielded causing this problem, However couldn't find anything on it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can it fixed or improved. I was told by one local Honda shop to put a in line antenna power boost in. I think that would give me more volume but would also increase the noise. Thank You for any advise or remedies you might have to offer....Richard

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well, you have two problems, or at least one problem that's common to FM and intercom but not CD.

My '02 suffers from pretty lame FM reception as well, though from what you say it's better than yours.

A number of folks with poor FM have fixed it by replacing the FM lead with a 3' lead from Radio Shack, Tweeters, etc. and running it OUTSIDE of the bundle of wires that the stock wire hides in. I believe that you may be able to do this without removing the top shelter.

A good FM amp will increase the noise a bit, but will also increase the FM signal to where the radio should be able to do a better job of pulling the FM station out of the noise. However, I'd try re-seating/replacing the antenna lead first.

Can't help you on the intercom issue other then to raise the volume of the intercom, it's set separately from the rest of the audio system via your multifunction LCD.

BTW, congrats on the great find! My '02(a) had about 2,500 miles on it when I bought it two years ago.

·
Registered
270 Posts
AVC

Check your owner's manual for Automatic Volume Control (AVC). AVC adjusts the radio's volume automatically at highway speeds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lots of 1800's around with failed automatic volume.
I've done the aerial lead fix, great improvement.
Autocom AVi, was cheaper than getting the 1800 intercom fixed, got rid of the microphonics too. also provides the interface for garmin, phone and iPod.
Jas

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not familar with the 2003 setup, but have you verified that the mute function is not active, if your bike has one?

Billy Joe..

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
eethomas said:
Allen H. said:
I'm betting you accidently have the radio muted.
I second that. Make sure that the mute button on the left handlebar is not pushed in.
That's the first thing that popped into my mind, also. I've had it happen to me. Leave for work in the morning w/o my glasses on. Keep turning up the volume, then realize the mute button is pressed in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts