GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased some foam grips for the 18. You know, the ones that have the chrome cap at the end (the end cap is held on by a screw on the inside). I have a big hand and the stock grips are a pain in the back :a13: errrr hand. So, after removing the OEM grips, I removed the chrome end caps on the new grips and started to drill out the centers. After getting to 3/8in I got my dremel tool out with a sanding drum and sanded the hole out. I sanded a beveled edge into the hole I had drilled from the inside until I could insert the drum sander attachment into the hole. I then continued to sand until I was able to fit the handlebar's end weight into the hole that I tried to keep centered in the end cap. After fitting the grip onto the handlebar I cut the rubber piece of the grip to length being sure not to cut the foam, handlebar or throttle sleeve. I installed the new grips chrome end cap, tucked the little bit of extra foam from the grip into the end cap and then I installed the weights. Then I secured the weights with the screws. I now can say they feel wonderful and it looks pretty cool too, if I do say so myself. If your interested in some picture I'll share them. Let me know.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
fishbob....how did you secure the end caps, especially the throttle side? I use the Drag foam grips. I have a set of chrome weights I thought about installing. But there again, I haven't missed the weights in 45,000 miles, I just wanted to add more chrome. :D

Thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red,
The OEM weighted ends are secured by a phillips headed bolt (as you know). The screw is black just like the weight. Unscrew the screw and the weight comes right off and the female end is exposed on the inside of the handle bar. The female end is held in place by a keyed alan head screw. So you don't have to do anything to get the cap to stay because the end weight will secure it in place. I'll put a few pictures in and you'll get a hold of it in a flash. I do that later tonight. I'm doing a bunch of upgrades - This Christmas was great because of Alaska's Permanent Fund Dividend. As Tim the Tool Man Taylor would say Har har har :yes: :flg: :rw1: Don't forget Red is Faster!!

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I know how the weights operate. I was curious on how you secured the chrome ends caps. The left wouldn't be a problem, but the right could be. I was thinking if the end cap of the new grips moved it could cause the throttle to drag.

The end caps will just flop around without the attachment screws won't they? I'll wait for the pics.

Thanks again.....

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
when i purchased my new 1800, the dealer installed a set of kury iso grips. he tossed the bar weights in the trash. he claimed they were not needed.

i put the same foam grips on my pacific coast and didnt use the bar weights . i have never noticed any vibration at all.

i did keep the bar weights on my st1100 a few years ago when i put on the same type foam grips. the bar weights were held on by the same large screw as the wing has. i also cut a good size hole in the plastis-chrome cover . there was about an eigth inch clearence so that the throttle wouldnt drag. i put a small spacer in to get the extra clearence.

loren

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red,

Thats the beauty of the end weights, you can only tighten them so far. They will come to the end cap and no further because they can't. I'm sorry I had a late night last night and didn't get a chance to post the pictures. I'm going out right now and getting the pictures and then I will post them for you. See ya

Fishbob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts