GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I read on the board something about foam grips that slide on over the regular grips. I've done a search but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Anyone know the name of the complany that sells these?

Dep

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Now, what size do I need for the wing?

Dep

·
Registered
198 Posts
grips

I have been using tennis racquet grip tape for years on my bikes, It came up about an inch short on my wing grips(longest grips I have ever had on a bike) so start at the outer edge of the grip and work in toward the bike if you try them. The short gap does not bother me as I hold at the outside end of the grips.

I

·
0 Posts
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Take those miserable stock grips off, pitch them in the nearest trash can, and get yourself a set of Drag Specialties foam grips. You will never regret it. Trash the handlebar weights while you are at it. They are worthless.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Diff strokes.... I have the Drag S foam grips over EC heated panels and I have disliked them from the first day.

Try to find a friend who has them and ride his bike for a day, two if possible. I'm not sure what I will go with next time around but it will NOT be those DS foam grips. Allthough they are cheap...... so I guess I shouldnt have been surprised. None the less, your may find results anywhere along the spectrum.... so experiment with someones bike who has already done the deed if you can. I sure wish I had tried the grip tech first

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Joseph said:
Diff strokes.... I have the Drag S foam grips over EC heated panels and I have disliked them from the first day.
LOL.... Like you say "different strokes". I've got a few hundred thousand miles on those same DS foam grips.

Matter of fact, I have the Drag foam grip refills over my '06 OEM heated grips. Less than $6. If they were $30 I would still use them. They fit my hands perfectly.

What's different about the Grip Tek's? I've had them in the past and couldn't tell any difference.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Red, I don't know that there is a differance with one exception. If the grip tecs simply slip over the stcok grips I would have had the option of just taking them off if I didnt like them. Now its a bigger pain to switch back to stock and I would probably ruin my Grip heaters removing them.

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Joseph said:
Now its a bigger pain to switch back to stock and I would probably ruin my Grip heaters removing them.
You don't have to destroy your heaters. Pry off the chrome end caps. Use a razor blade to remove the foam or just blow it off with compressed air. Then use the same razor blade to carefully split the rubber grip under the foam. Install new grips of your choice.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
325 Posts
What is the diameter on the 1800 handlebars? I am guessing they would take the small grip puppies???

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I third grip-tek. $15 for a set of 3 and they install with a little soap and water. I even still get the heat from the grip on chilly mornings.

Gordon

·
Registered
756 Posts
Grip puppy ad bears a familar resemblance to grip-tek ad. Go with 5" medium to go over stock grips

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Red, I've heard this before and suppose your correct. I can't help but think as tight as they went on that I wont screw them up. I wont know till I try however.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
IBTrike said:
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Take those miserable stock grips off, pitch them in the nearest trash can, and get yourself a set of Drag Specialties foam grips. You will never regret it. Trash the handlebar weights while you are at it. They are worthless.

Ride safe.
Wrong. He's got a 2006 - presumably with heated grips. You don't throw those away! I had the foam grips on my 1200 and they were nice. Now I have the stock grips with the Grip-Tek grip covers and they are just as good - better because the covers are cheap, very easy to replace and now I have heat too!

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Joseph said:
Red, I've heard this before and suppose your correct. I can't help but think as tight as they went on that I wont screw them up. I wont know till I try however.
If you didn't use super glue to install the grips, it will be a piece of cake to remove them. If you used super glue, I bet you'll never use it again! LOL...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Silverback,
What size grippuppys did you get for the wing? The website only shows small and large.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Silverback,
What size grippuppys did you get for the wing? The website only shows small and large.
I went with the small ones. At the price they charge, I was thinking of getting a second set while I was at it, thinking it'd be good to have a spare set around for when the first ones wore out. I don't know why I didn't, but I don't think it'd be necessary. I've got over 10K miles on these, and can't see any signs of wear at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts