GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the battery in my FOB today for the 2nd time in 3 months. Replaced the original around the end of March.. This seems a bit odd to me that I should have to change the battery so soon after just having done so 3 months ago. Has anyone else had the same experience? I'm using Duracell batteries and not some cheap dollar store battery.:surprise:

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you keep the key near the bike when at home? If so that could be the problem.
I keep my key away from the bike when at home, got the bike last August still on original battery.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do check the lot numbers and shelf life when you purchase any battery.

I change my fob battery prior to going on extended tour as a matter of PM, just like checking fluid levels, air pressures and tire wear. And I always have a fresh spare in my riding jacket.

But I have yet to experience any actual FOB battery run-down so I can't estimate the actual usable lifespan of a CR2032. And as others have said, my FOB hangs beyond usable range from the bike when not in use and I always ensure the fob is "off" (steady red) when I hang it on the barn peg.

Good luck troubleshooting.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I bought my 2018 in March of 18 and the OEM battery in the FOB is still going. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I do shut the FOB off while the bike is waiting for the next ride.
How does one shut the fob 'off ?" Sounds like a very good idea.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do check the lot numbers and shelf life when you purchase any battery.

I change my fob battery prior to going on extended tour as a matter of PM, just like checking fluid levels, air pressures and tire wear. And I always have a fresh spare in my riding jacket.

But I have yet to experience any actual FOB battery run-down so I can't estimate the actual usable lifespan of a CR2032. And as others have said, my FOB hangs beyond usable range from the bike when not in use and I always ensure the fob is "off" (steady red) when I hang it on the barn peg.

Good luck troubleshooting.

Thank you everyone for your tips.
I do turn my FOB off wherever I park it for the night but I also leave the FOB in the bike's tank pocket.

I'll pick up my next spare batteries at a store like Batteries+ who probably has a high inventory turnover. :thumbup:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Push the button on your FOB until the light blinks 1x. Be sure to push it again until light blinks 3x so it's on and you want to start your bike or get into your bags. :smile2:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I purchased my bike in March 18' and just changed it out last Monday 6/24/19. I never once turned it off and leave it hanging on a nail in close enough proximity to the bike that the bags open but the ignition does not. In hindsight I should have paid close attention to the OEM battery type.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
A quick (less than 1 second) push and release will tell you which state (on/off) the SmartKey is in.

Push and hold and the fob will change state.

The 'off' state just means the ignition cannot be activated by the fob.
In the 'off' state it the 'unlock' and 'answerback' buttons will still function.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thank you everyone for your tips.
I do turn my FOB off wherever I park it for the night but I also leave the FOB in the bike's tank pocket.
Don't leave the FOB within range of the bike when the bike is not running. The dealer I bought mine from told me not to do this because the FOB and bike communicate when in range (and ignition is off), they ping each other, and if left in proximity long term while not started the constant pinging will drain the FOB "quickly".

Also, turning the FOB off only turns the unlock "ping" command off, the FOB itself is still actively communicating even when "off". So when the FOB is turned off but stored on the parked bike it will still continually "talk" to the bike, it just won't allow the bike to start. Turning the FOB off doesn't do anything to save the little battery, it just means you can hold the FOB next to the bike and it won't start.

TLDR: Store the FOB outside of the bike's range if you want the battery to last a long time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't leave the FOB within range of the bike when the bike is not running. The dealer I bought mine from told me not to do this because the FOB and bike communicate when in range (and ignition is off), they ping each other, and if left in proximity long term while not started the constant pinging will drain the FOB "quickly".

Also, turning the FOB off only turns the unlock "ping" command off, the FOB itself is still actively communicating even when "off". So when the FOB is turned off but stored on the parked bike it will still continually "talk" to the bike, it just won't allow the bike to start. Turning the FOB off doesn't do anything to save the little battery, it just means you can hold the FOB next to the bike and it won't start.

TLDR: Store the FOB outside of the bike's range if you want the battery to last a long time.
Ok... so the FOB is very persistent and will continue to OR try to talk to the bike. Is that correct? And because the FOB doesn't have "eyes" to see when it's in range of the bike it would have to continue to "ping" the bike or continuously "ping" for the bike maybe until it's in "FOB range" of the bike. Having said that, wouldn't the FOB be running down the battery in its persistent attempt to blindly communicate with the bike although the bike is in the garage and the FOB is in the house? Just wondering..... :shrug:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased my bike in March 18' and just changed it out last Monday 6/24/19. I never once turned it off and leave it hanging on a nail in close enough proximity to the bike that the bags open but the ignition does not. In hindsight I should have paid close attention to the OEM battery type.

Just curious, how are you able to position your FOB so the bags open but the ignition does not turn on. Unless I'm missing something I've found my FOB, when in close proximity to the bike, activates all functions - ignition and unlocks bags.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Ok... so the FOB is very persistent and will continue to OR try to talk to the bike. Is that correct? And because the FOB doesn't have "eyes" to see when it's in range of the bike it would have to continue to "ping" the bike or continuously "ping" for the bike maybe until it's in "FOB range" of the bike. Having said that, wouldn't the FOB be running down the battery in its persistent attempt to blindly communicate with the bike although the bike is in the garage and the FOB is in the house? Just wondering..... :shrug:
The FOB may go dormant when out of range of the "Mother Ship's" search pings. None of my other vehicles with FOBs seem to be like this one.

prs

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The FOB may go dormant when out of range of the "Mother Ship's" search pings. None of my other vehicles with FOBs seem to be like this one.

prs
So if it goes "dormant" when out of range how does it know when it's in range of the bike without being persistent about pinging the bike? Hmmmmmm.....?

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
Be careful not only where you buy your batteries, but how you handle them. Those coin cell batteries don't have much capacity, and if they get shorted even for a millisecond their life will be severely shortened if not ruined. The positive and negative terminals at the sides of the coin cell are nearly touching, so all it has to do is come into contact with metal on the side to ruin them.

Keep them in the package until you are ready to use them. I also like to check the voltage before I put them in, a new one should be around 3.2 volts. I like to use Duracell or Panasonic if you can find them. There are a lot of knock offs from China that are poor quality and won't last.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Be careful not only where you buy your batteries, but how you handle them. Those coin cell batteries don't have much capacity, and if they get shorted even for a millisecond their life will be severely shortened if not ruined. The positive and negative terminals at the sides of the coin cell are nearly touching, so all it has to do is come into contact with metal on the side to ruin them.

Keep them in the package until you are ready to use them. I also like to check the voltage before I put them in, a new one should be around 3.2 volts. I like to use Duracell or Panasonic if you can find them. There are a lot of knock offs from China that are poor quality and won't last.
Thank you Fred for the advice. I also use Duracell.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts