GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. With the FOB active, and I turn the ignition switch on the electrical system does not activate and of course the bike won't start. Does start fine with the emergency method.

The FOB horn and light buttons work as they should, so it doesn't appear to be the FOB.

Also, after starting via the emergency method, I can shut the bike off and then restart it right away - if I wait for more than 30 seconds or so, the same problem - ignition switch does not activate the electrics and no start. [Edit - seems that may be how the emergency start works - it lets you turn the bike back on if you shut it off for a few seconds without requiring the code be re-entered]

Fuses checked, FOB batt replaced, Bike Batt checked, Bike batt disconnected for a few minutes and then reconnected -no joy.

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. With the FOB active, and I turn the ignition switch on the electrical system does not activate and of course the bike won't start. Does start fine with the emergency method.

The FOB horn and light buttons work as they should, so it doesn't appear to be the FOB.

Also, after starting via the emergency method, I can shut the bike off and then restart it right away - if I wait for more than 30 seconds or so, the same problem - ignition switch does not activate the electrics and no start. [Edit - seems that may be how the emergency start works - it lets you turn the bike back on if you shut it off for a few seconds without requiring the code be re-entered]

Fuses checked, FOB batt replaced, Bike Batt checked, Bike batt disconnected for a few minutes and then reconnected -no joy.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Assuming from what you've written, yours is an '18 with one key fob (otherwise you would have tried starting the bike with the second fob.)

Also, regarding restarting the bike using the emergency procedure, (for my '19 and as I recall), the sales person explained the bike can be turned off and restarted again within (20 minutes??) to allow for the possibility of refueling the bike and having to restart it again.

This tidbit is just to confirm you can restart the bike for a specified time after using the emergency start procedure.

Tim

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Also when you press the fob button, it blinks three times indicating the fob is on?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming from what you've written, yours is an '18 with one key fob (otherwise you would have tried starting the bike with the second fob.)

Also, regarding restarting the bike using the emergency procedure, (for my '19 and as I recall), the sales person explained the bike can be turned off and restarted again within (20 minutes??) to allow for the possibility of refueling the bike and having to restart it again.

This tidbit is just to confirm you can restart the bike for a specified time after using the emergency start procedure.

Tim
Definitely not 20 minutes - 1 minute maybe, definitely not enough time to refuel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then your bike is definitely malfunctioning, as you have been surmising.

Tim
I'll see if the dealer knows anything about that - there is nothing in the owners manual about staying active for 20 minutes - there is mention of the emergency mode canceling if more than 20 seconds elapse between button presses while entering the codes.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
The callback button (horn and lights) will work / function even if the FOB is in the 'OFF' mode.

(it won't work if the IGNITION is on.)

Quick press and release of fob main button will flash the status indicator.
Press and hold (more than 1 second) will switch the on/off status of the FOB.

Batteries are cheap if wanting to try swapping it out.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I'll see if the dealer knows anything about that - there is nothing in the owners manual about staying active for 20 minutes - there is mention of the emergency mode canceling if more than 20 seconds elapse between button presses while entering the codes.
If you use the emergency start procedure to start the bike then turn the bike and electrical system off, the system does not stay "active" for 20 minutes. If you want to activate the electrical system again, you have to repeat the procedure for ID number input. (Page 186 in the owner's manual)

:doorag:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The callback button (horn and lights) will work / function even if the FOB is in the 'OFF' mode.

(it won't work if the IGNITION is on.)

Quick press and release of fob main button will flash the status indicator.
Press and hold (more than 1 second) will switch the on/off status of the FOB.

Batteries are cheap if wanting to try swapping it out.
Did all that - horn and lights respond to the FOB when OFF, ensured FOB was ON (I've had this bike for a while so I know the routine) - also noticed that the light encircling the ignition switch responds to the FOB (that is, it is lit when the FOB is ON, so the FOB is talking to the bike). It's acting as though it doesn't think the steering is unlocked. But if so and it is a "safety feature" to not start the electrical system (and hence the bike) with the steering locked, then the emergency start shouldn't work either since it won't think the steering is unlocked either even after it tries to unlock it. Note that when the steering is locked, the first turn of the ignition switch only unlocks the steering, the electrical system only comes on when the ignition is turned a second time. I'm pretty sure my key FOB is busted, but it seems to be a weird kind of busted. May be some kind of steering lock sensor failure if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. If the ignition knob lights up when the FOB is present, then I'd be inclined to think that the FOB is working ok. I wonder if the ignition switch itself could be the problem. Please let us know what the dealership finds.

No I don't think its the ignition switch. The reason I say that is when I start the bike using the emergency procedure, I can start the bike, then shut it off with the ignition switch, then as long as I don't wait too long, I can re-activate the electrical system with the ignition switch and restart the bike. So the ignition switch is making contact.

As you suggest, one would think that as long as the FOB causes the ignition lite to activate, that the FOB is correctly registered to the bike and should work. The ignition switch seems to be working (I believe) based on my previous paragraph, which makes me wonder if some "safety feature", such as preventing the case of starting the engine and driving off with the steering locked has failed due to a sensor/wiring fault. The bike is acting exactly as though the steering were locked, and thus on the first turn of the switch does not activate the electrical system but instead unlocks the steering. I don't hear the steering lock solenoids activating, but I don't know if I would if the bike was trying to unlock the steering solenoids if they are already unlocked. So each time I turn the switch, the bike is saying - wait, I think the steering is locked so I first need to unlock it.

Hopefully I find something out tomorrow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another thought. You might want to check to see if something is interfering with the FOB's signal. Could be that something on a similar frequency is interfering or blocking it. Have you added any new electrical items recently?
The first time it happened was when I was a couple of miles away from home, and relocating the bike home made no difference so I don't think its environmental.

I did add a set of trunk mounted LED turn/brake lights about a month ago. I checked that they were still working and they were. The wiring harness number of wires per LED function suggested just power and ground wires, so they should be isolated from the CAN bus. I think they were Goldstrike LED lights and I used their wiring harness kit to splice/connect into the existing tail light wiring harness. If push comes to shove I can disconnect all that, but I don't think that's where the problem lies.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Seems like someone reported a problem when near a certain gas pump, maybe some interference.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
No I don't think its the ignition switch. The reason I say that is when I start the bike using the emergency procedure, I can start the bike, then shut it off with the ignition switch, then as long as I don't wait too long, I can re-activate the electrical system with the ignition switch and restart the bike. So the ignition switch is making contact.

As you suggest, one would think that as long as the FOB causes the ignition lite to activate, that the FOB is correctly registered to the bike and should work. The ignition switch seems to be working (I believe) based on my previous paragraph, which makes me wonder if some "safety feature", such as preventing the case of starting the engine and driving off with the steering locked has failed due to a sensor/wiring fault. The bike is acting exactly as though the steering were locked, and thus on the first turn of the switch does not activate the electrical system but instead unlocks the steering. I don't hear the steering lock solenoids activating, but I don't know if I would if the bike was trying to unlock the steering solenoids if they are already unlocked. So each time I turn the switch, the bike is saying - wait, I think the steering is locked so I first need to unlock it.

Hopefully I find something out tomorrow.

Your theory about the steering lock mechanism could indeed be correct and would be worth checking out. It also could be a problem with CAN buss communication signals from the Smart controller. Hopefully the dealer will have the tools to properly troubleshoot this and will have an experienced tech.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
definitely have the ignition switch check, a 2018 was just repaired in our city for a "no start" issue, it was a faulty switch

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your theory about the steering lock mechanism could indeed be correct and would be worth checking out. It also could be a problem with CAN buss communication signals from the Smart controller. Hopefully the dealer will have the tools to properly troubleshoot this and will have an experienced tech.
Thanks, Fred. One other thing I thought of is that the owners manual describes smart key activation as a 2 way communication between the bike and the FOB (the 3 blinks of the FOB LED just means authentication is available, not that authentication has been performed, which is why you can get the 3 blinks when far way from the bike). Its possible that the bike is receiving a signal from the FOB and that's why the horn/lights work (maybe only needs one way communication for that, FOB to bike), but then for electrical system and starting, two way is needed for added authentication and protection from theft. Could be either the FOB receiver is on the fritz or the smart unit controller on the bike is not transmitting.

I take the bike to the dealer in a couple of hours - I hope they have the service manual (they should its a fairly large dealer with shops all over Phoenix) and the manual has a troubleshooting procedure for this condition, and that they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got back from the dealer - they had to call Honda for troubleshooting advice. They believe it is a bad FOB, so they are ordering one - should be here around middle next week. I'm getting to where I can enter that start code pretty quick, so and inconvenience for a few days nut I can manage.

If that works, I'll be ordering a spare.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Got back from the dealer - they had to call Honda for troubleshooting advice. They believe it is a bad FOB, so they are ordering one - should be here around middle next week. I'm getting to where I can enter that start code pretty quick, so and inconvenience for a few days nut I can manage.

If that works, I'll be ordering a spare.
Did they try changing the fob battery?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts