GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ridden with both the old FoBo sensors and the new ones? I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade. The only problem I had with the old ones is that it seems like once a day or so, the sensors would disconnect from my phone. Does anyone know if the second generation units are better at staying connected to the phone?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've got the Fobo 2s but they're still in the box.

How could you tell the sensors disconnected on Fobo 1? I never noticed the problem. I did have a problem with the app crashing but the tech support guys gave me a beta update (I assume it has now been released) and it solved that.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disconnect

I've got the Fobo 2s but they're still in the box.

How could you tell the sensors disconnected on Fobo 1? I never noticed the problem. I did have a problem with the app crashing but the tech support guys gave me a beta update (I assume it has now been released) and it solved that.
I could tell they had disconnected because the bike screen with the pressures went grey and the connect time stopped updating. If I shut down the app and restarted the app a couple of times, they generally would reconnect. Sometimes it would be one sensor that disconnected and sometimes it would be both sensors.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I've only taken a short (20 minute) ride with my Fobo 2's, and no issues with disconnecting. Pixel 3, (Android 9) phone. Now, there's a service that's running in the background with the Fobo2 app.

I'll be going out for a while a bit later this morning and plan on evaluating further.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Improvement

Three plus hours, no issues.
That is a big improvement from what I've seen with the original FoBo sensors. They would sometimes be disconnected 1/4 of the time. I also finally figureed out that it really did matter where my phone touched the sensors when I was trying to change settings..

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I don't keep the app up all the time; active to check pressures, then just the background function that monitors.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Update...

I put the Fobo2's in service back when I wrote this back in Feb. of 2019.

I don't keep the app up all the time; active to check pressures, then just the background function that monitors.
I'm still using it much the same way - pressure check, then hit the road. Sometimes I have the app running to monitor pressures in the background, sometimes not.

On yesterday's ride, I got an indication that the batteries in the sensors are getting a bit low (~2.7V), but are still reading pressures accurately.

Eighteen months of service. A two-pack of batteries is about $5.

Not too shabby.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Update...

I put the Fobo2's in service back when I wrote this back in Feb. of 2019.

I'm still using it much the same way - pressure check, then hit the road. Sometimes I have the app running to monitor pressures in the background, sometimes not.

On yesterday's ride, I got an indication that the batteries in the sensors are getting a bit low (~2.7V), but are still reading pressures accurately.

Eighteen months of service. A two-pack of batteries is about $5.

Not too shabby.
I use mine much the same as you do. No complaints whatsoever on my FOBO2.
I ran FOBO1 for years with no issues until losing the pairing on my rear wheel. Tried new batteries, reinstall, switching wheels, etc. etc. When the new model came out I decided to spend the extra money over a replacement sensor and get the whole new system. No regrets and no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When my phone connects to the bluetooth on my bike, Tasker auto-loads the Fobo app on my phone. That makes it so I don't have to worry about whether I am getting alerts for my tire pressure. I now have a couple of weeks with the FoBo2 and it is still working just fine.

I essentially never keep the FoBo app in the foreground. I have Waze running in the foreground, even though I navigate with my Garmin.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Disconnect

I could tell they had disconnected because the bike screen with the pressures went grey and the connect time stopped updating. If I shut down the app and restarted the app a couple of times, they generally would reconnect. Sometimes it would be one sensor that disconnected and sometimes it would be both sensors.
Thats why i like the ones that do not use the phones, just look down and punch a button and see the tire pressure without any distractions.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats why i like the ones that do not use the phones, just look down and punch a button and see the tire pressure without any distractions.
One of the reason I like the the current FoBo solutionis that I don't have to look at anything to get the alert. It comes to my headset. However, I do understand the no-fuss solution. I make that choice for navigation. I don't like to navigate primarily by Waze or Google Maps even though I use them both on occasion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts