GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iPhone SE that has just become available to me for use on the bike. This is not my primary phone so it will not be attached to a cellphone account. I will be running it in airplane mode with the wifi and bluetooth both working.

Thought I could use the wifi at home and/motels. Of course the bluetooth will be used for the FOBO.

Does anyone see any issues with this?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Provided the FoBo App an be loaded on and will work with an iphone SE, it all should be good. I have them and they work really well with my iPhone 6+. OTOH, a friend of mine has an Android iPhone. Although FoBo initially said it work work on an Android iPhone, it wouldn't. Later they admitted that there were "issues" with Android iPhones. He had to send them (The FoBo Sensors) back.

·
Registered
8,767 Posts
Um...might want to check again.

<...>Although FoBo initially said it work work on an Android iPhone, it wouldn't. Later they admitted that there were "issues" with Android iPhones. He had to send them (The FoBo Sensors) back.
Initially, true.

They did fix it in a later version of software.

I now see the FOBO2 versions of software (both Android and iOS) will work with both versions of sensors - that update came out just a few weeks ago.

The *only* issue is that to login, it did require setting up an account with FOBO. So, the phone will try and connect, but without an Internet connection it will NOT function.

(turned off wifi and phone data, get message that it will not allow a login to the app - at least on my Android phone)

You iOS folks may want to confirm this finding.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Initially, true.

They did fix it in a later version of software.

I now see the FOBO2 versions of software (both Android and iOS) will work with both versions of sensors - that update came out just a few weeks ago.

The *only* issue is that to login, it did require setting up an account with FOBO. So, the phone will try and connect, but without an Internet connection it will NOT function.

(turned off wifi and phone data, get message that it will not allow a login to the app - at least on my Android phone)

You iOS folks may want to confirm this finding.

That is one of my concerns? I just downloaded the app on the phone and the first screen was a login screen with no way around it. I can login at the house to get started, hoping it wouldn’t require the app to maintain that login. Doesn’t make much sense to me that it would, there are lots of places without cell service. That would be a problem for everyone I would think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,767 Posts
To be honest, I've never left mine in the 'leave it on all the time' mode. Not yet anyway. I check it in the morning, then shut down the app (my phone is doing many other things...) but there is a service that will still monitor the pressure in the background.

Ahhh...here's the secret. Yes, it has to login and be running - but it looks like (shutting down both wifi and cell data while the app is running) it will function without needing to be tethered to the service.

...at least on Android, anyway.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My FoBo vers 1 work fine with only blue tooth active. My android phone remains docked in view and connected to everything providing wifi to weather radar and bluetooth to my helmet ( the Garmin her blue tooth passed through the wifi tablet). FoBo bike remains running for the very reason I needed it, advise of pressure loss. I've had a valve stem let go on the interstate and FoBo let me know just as the steering started feeling heavy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I placed my order for the FOBO. Now all I need to do is get the stuff ordered to place the phone in full view on the handle bars. For that I plan to revisit @revrunt posts on the subject. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you phone has audio fed to the bike you might not need to keep it in the heat, FoBo Bike sounds an alarm with pressure loss. Still I like mine in sight.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you phone has audio fed to the bike you might not need to keep it in the heat, FoBo Bike sounds an alarm with pressure loss. Still I like mine in sight.

For me it is a must to have it in sight. No matter how loud an alarm it has, I'm not going to hear it.

I got the parts ordered last night for the mount. Think I will put it on the right side and let it set where the Doran is now working. The Ram mount will have it up in my field of vision. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Side note on FoBo V1

I found that if I did not have the FoBo app displahed on my Samsung Galaxy Edge 7, it the phone would lose track of the sensors and not display alerts correctly. Now with the current app which has the overlay service, as long as the service stays active, the app will beep even if the FoBo app main screen is not in the foreground.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use a Sena with custom earplugs. I Bluetooth my iPhone to the Sena. I am assuming that the alarm will override everything. Can anyone verify that?

Robert

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I use a Sena with custom earplugs. I Bluetooth my iPhone to the Sena. I am assuming that the alarm will override everything. Can anyone verify that?

Robert

It should override everything that your phone does - it's simply another signal from the phone to the Sena. You need to have the FOBO app running on the phone - at least in the background (it is possible to disable the app if you wish).

I find my FOBO low air pressure alarm to be quite obnoxious. I've almost crapped myself a couple of times when it went off - and I wasn't even on the bike at the time!
(I had aired the tires up, and didn't realize that a dynabead had allowed the air to slowly seep out of one...)

·
Registered
162 Posts
It should override everything that your phone does - it's simply another signal from the phone to the Sena. You need to have the FOBO app running on the phone - at least in the background (it is possible to disable the app if you wish).

I find my FOBO low air pressure alarm to be quite obnoxious. I've almost crapped myself a couple of times when it went off - and I wasn't even on the bike at the time!
(I had aired the tires up, and didn't realize that a dynabead had allowed the air to slowly seep out of one...)
Thanks, when I get it set up I'll test it. I was hoping that was the way it worked.

Robert

1 - 20 of 51 Posts