GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Time for a follow-up

Got iphone SE working, downloaded the FOBO bike 2 app and got it working ... temporarily :frown2:

My first try, the app loads up reads the sensors and gives me the tire pressures. Looks like everything is great. It works for a little while, then the app starts shutting down? When I load it back up it will only keep running for about a minute then shuts down again. Tech support suggested deleting the app and reinstalling, which I did.

Second try, the app loads up reads the sensors and everything looks great. It works fine for about 4 hours, then it shuts down. Now I'm back to it running for about a minute or two, then it shuts down again?

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next??:frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've used FOBO original (1?) and 2. I went to 2 because it was supposedly more stable but has stopped running and at times went on a tear chewing up the battery.

Great when it works.

Extrapolating from my experience, once you have it on the internet, signed in and registered to capture the sensors (anti-theft measure), I think you'll be fine in the future with only Bluetooth on. Wifi only needed for occasional updates. Airplane mode killing mobile data shouldn't matter.

The only problem is then keeping it on.

I don't know about its visible alarms and whether it will jump on top of other windows when it enters an alarm condition. If that's what you're relying on, then I'd experiment with it.

I rely on the audio alarm. There are several things where phone media gets stepped on by other things (mostly Sena's fault, nothing to do with FOBO specifically) that can disrupt that. So that, and the app turning off, are my two points of failure.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've used FOBO original (1?) and 2. I went to 2 because it was supposedly more stable but has stopped running and at times went on a tear chewing up the battery.

Great when it works.

Extrapolating from my experience, once you have it on the internet, signed in and registered to capture the sensors (anti-theft measure), I think you'll be fine in the future with only Bluetooth on. Wifi only needed for occasional updates. Airplane mode killing mobile data shouldn't matter.

I don't know about its visible alarms and whether it will jump on top of other windows when it enters an alarm condition. If that's what you're relying on, then I'd experiment with it.

I rely on the audio alarm. There are several things where phone media gets stepped on by other things (mostly Sena's fault, nothing to do with FOBO specifically) that can disrupt that. So that, and the app turning off, are my two points of failure.

I guess while it is running, everything looks and seems to be okay. I let air out of my tire to make sure the notifications work. The app shutting down and leaving me with no way to monitor the sensors is kind of deal killer. I always wear gloves when riding, so kind of hard to tap the app and bring it back up for a couple minutes to check my tire pressure. Right now that is looking like my only option?:frown2:

Just finished deleting the app AGAIN. After installation I checked the sensor firmware and they are up to date? In the mean time, I'm re-reading the FOBO Manual and looking for settings in my phone that could be creating the problem? So far ... nothing? :frown2:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Provided the FoBo App an be loaded on and will work with an iphone SE, it all should be good. I have them and they work really well with my iPhone 6+. OTOH, a friend of mine has an Android iPhone. Although FoBo initially said it work work on an Android iPhone, it wouldn't. Later they admitted that there were "issues" with Android iPhones. He had to send them (The FoBo Sensors) back.
FWIW....Been running FOBO for 3 years on a used $50 ebay LG G3 Sprint Android phone (no sim), and it has never had an issue. Downloaded Co-Pilot maps onto the phone (no need for cell connections to operate), and have a nice back-up GPS. The advantage of the Android, is that I can overlay the small FOBO screen on top of GPS and have best of both worlds... YMMV.....

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Airplane mode

Great when it works.

Oh my phone, airplane mode shuts down Bluetooth as well as WiFi and cellular data. I keep the app running by enabling the overlay service within the app itself. That puts a notice on the screen and keeps in contact with the sensors. FoBo does not natively have a visual alert when it goes off unless it is in the foreground. It would certainly be possible to create a visual alert with Tasker though.

Unfortunately for me when I'm listening to XM radio, I lose both FoBo and Waze alerts from my phone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't waste your money on FOBO products. I contacted tech support multiple times, sent data, installed extra troubleshooting software, uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times - following the directions of two different tech support people. At some point, they simply stopped trying to help. They don't have the programming expertise to keep their product running. For those who were successful using it, good for you. I use a Galaxy Note 8 phone. Works great for about 4 hours, then shuts down. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oh my phone, airplane mode shuts down Bluetooth as well as WiFi and cellular data. I keep the app running by enabling the overlay service within the app itself. That puts a notice on the screen and keeps in contact with the sensors. FoBo does not natively have a visual alert when it goes off unless it is in the foreground. It would certainly be possible to create a visual alert with Tasker though.

Unfortunately for me when I'm listening to XM radio, I lose both FoBo and Waze alerts from my phone.
Airplane mode shuts down mine like that, too. But then you can turn back on BT and/or WiFi. You're still in Airplane mode for the cell service (data and voice). I figured that's what he's talking about and left that hair unsplit. For once!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I run the original FoBo bike on my Moto Z2 Force and of the issue translates to Apple phones but we can easily over demand available Bluetooth tooth connections. Mine works great if I open and connect to the tires first then power up my helmet Sena 10S. I use wifi to expand a data path through a second older phone for radar and Bluetooth data to my Garmin. If the Garmin connect to my MotoZ then I have issues with the FoBo and or my Sena. For me it requires a specific start sequence so everything works as desired.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried the origanal FOBO and they worked great for two years. Upgraded to an LG6 thinQ and will not connect. Newer soft ware on Android not compatable. Glad i bought them used on fee bay.
Not yet ready for prome time.😥

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Google Pixel 3, Android 10, current updates - zero issues.

I only keep the app in the background while riding - and I've yet to have an issue with it doing what it's supposed to do (pressures are within my predefined parameters) while I'm using it.

I do not use 'overlay services'. I start the app, monitor the current pressures, and closing the app.

When I look at my notifications (swipe down from top of phone's home screen...) it says "FOBO Bike 2 Service" is running.

The only thing I can think of is there's some sort of BT reset that happens - and the phone would have to generate that. My phone is also supplying by BT my music, fed into the BT receiver on the bike.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After the last reinstall that I referred to above I've had the app open and running on the phone. It has been almost 6 hours and it is still working. That is a record for me!!!

I plan to leave the phone plugged into the charger and let sit on the table overnight and see if it is still going tomorrow morning!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I guess it is time for another test ride! Got up this morning and the FOBO app is still up and running. That is the longest run I've had so far!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Wish they had one with its own unit to display the psi in both tires. I hate to do anything with my phone except text and make calls. I have one but unable to replace batteries and they are not avialable right now or in the future, so i am looking for something that is connected to my bike and not my phone.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wish they had one with its own unit to display the psi in both tires. I hate to do anything with my phone except text and make calls. I have one but unable to replace batteries and they are not avialable right now or in the future, so i am looking for something that is connected to my bike and not my phone.

Basically that's what this is. The old phone cannot access the cell towers any longer. Some kind of update problem?? What is left is no longer a phone, but a little computer that still has bluetooth and wifi capability. Which should be perfect for this application. When I started researching this I made sure the IOS version would work with the FOBO and that the bluetooth version was high enough to work.

I'm hopeful this thing is going to work. It has now been working non stop for 30 hrs. I went in a few hours ago and turned off the wifi. With no connection to any type of internet service it continues to work!

I also had a good TPMS that was still working well. But the sensors where no longer on the market. It was time for a change. The phone/computer is mounted to my handlebars in the same place as my old TPMS (Doran). Here is a link that describes the mounting system I used. Very inexpensive and it works great!!
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/17-how-step-step/429361-smartphone-mount.html

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
FWIW I have the FoBo Sensors on two of my bikes and use an Apple iPhone 6+.

Recently I had occasion to replace the expiring batteries on the FoBo Units. No big deal.

However, the iPhone Application "FoBo Bike" had some serious difficulty updating the status of the batteries.

To make a long and frustrating story short(er) I discovered that FoBo has released a new Application called "FoBo Bike 2". Installing the new Application was easy. It automatically imported the settings and the links to both bikes and their Sensors. It also resolved the seeming reluctance to update the status of the Sensor Batteries.

The Application Icon is different for "FoBo Bike 2". I've attached an image of it for your reference.

Attachments

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My Saga Continues

:frown2::frown2:

Checked the app this morning and it was shut down. When I open it back up it will run for about 2 minutes than shut down again. So I'm back where I was. Doesn't matter whether it is connected to wifi, it just will not work.

I feel sure if I would delete the app again and reinstall I would get another several hours of service before it shuts down again.

I can't say tech support is being helpful. The only advice I've gotten so far is to delete the app and reinstall. Maybe that is all the guy knows to do???? :frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Data point

I did have trouble with FoBo Bike 2 re-registering my original FoBo sensors. I went back to version 1 of the app and it is working OK. BTW: This is on a Samsung phone if that matters. I've also found that the FoBo app has worked better on newer versions of the bluetooth stack on Android phones. When I initially tried it on a Note 4, it was extremely unreliable.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The Google Play Store info on the FOBO Bike 2 app still says it only supports the FOBO 2 sensors. No idea what's going on the in iWorld.

I saw that when I first "upgraded" (yeah, right) and was disappointed because I had hoped that I could use the original sensors for my trailer. I'm having enough troubles with just the 2s, haven't thought about trying to run 1s and 2s together.
@networkguy3, are you using v2 sensors with v1 app on Android? Successfully?

@Bluehighways, are you using v1 sensors with v2 app on iPhone? Successfully?

It seems @Monk and I are just embracing the suck with v2-v2.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts