GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It's the shape of them. The one for the Arai allows for thier vents on the shield, I believe they are vents. Anyways, they are cut for the Arai shields. The universal one is a standard shape. I tried the Fog City Insert. IMO they are horrible. Lots of glare at night time, and because it doesn't fog up as much, after a bit you will start to have drips of water coming down the shield on the inside, because the shield is still fogging above where the insert is. IMO the best way is to just crack you shield, and just deal with the cold.

The best I've ever used was a Shueberth helmet that had a REAL anti-fog coating on the inside of the shield. Didn't depend on ventalation. The Camberg helmet has this coating on the shields as well. I don't understand why HJC, KBC, Shoei, Arai ect... don't do this.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray,

Thanks for the warning about the Fog City liner.

Also, I do keep my shield cracked and unless I have it cracked at least an inch it still fogs up and that gets old. I don't know what it is about this shield but my other shoei (Rf-900) didn't fog up nowhere near as bad as this thing does. I think this one is more air tight and therefore fogs more.

And honestly, when it's cold outside in the mornings if I crack my shield my sinues will kill me all day. Something about that cold air and my nose :( Oh to be normal.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I've been using the one that darkens when it gets bright for a couple of years now.. Wouldn't have a helmet without one.. It works great even on those 20deg mornings in the winter!! It also prevents the fashionable "racoon" look from the sun on a full face helmet with shades!
Never had the issue of glare at night (ANd I do ride a lot at night).. You do have to be careful what you clean the shield with though... NEVER use Plexus on it, it will ruin it!!! Just clear water on the inside...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FUSE said:
Have you looked at the Pinlock® Anti-Fog Lens for Shoei? That might be an option for you...
I looked at it briefly but I guess I'll go good a little better.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've used the Fog City that darkens in sunlight for a couple of years now. They work fine for me and I don't have to wear sunglasses over my glasses.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Most helmet manufacturers have comparable model snowmobile helmets with dual lens face shields. Although these shields are not recommended for street use, I use them in the winter with good success. I'll put up with a slight decrease in clarity rather than deal with a fogged up single lens shield.

They also make electric face shields for hard core snowmobilers, but I have never tried one. I refuse to be tethered to the bike with yet another electrical connection.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Fog City clear insert came in over the weekend and I have to admit, it was really nice not having the shield fog up at all this morning with it completely closed. Very nice.

BUT, on the downside, Ray's review at the top is dead on. I did get some glare while it was dark this morning but I found if I tilted my head up or down the glare would move out of my line of sight. So far, I think I can deal with that. The glare may depend on the angle of your shield and that may account why some get the glare and some don't. I just know that I get it.

Also, I wish I'd installed it as far down on the shield as possible. Say another 1/8 to 1/4 inch lower. I tend to use the lower portion of my helmet more than the top portion and I can see the seal or the sticky trim that goes along the bottom of the liner and I wish it wasn't there.

All in all though, the liner to me is worth it. No more fog. And sinus problem cured. I feel great this morning.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cycledude said:
have u tried Fogtech ?

expensive but it works pretty good in cold weather

http://www.motosolutions.com/
I was going to order the Fogtech but thought the fog city would be better in the long run. Now I wish I'd tried it first. My concern with the fog city is the clarity. I don't get any fogging up but the clarity bothers me.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
maybe another option, in Rider magazine this month they have a short writeup about Scorpion helmets, they claim to b the only manufacturer with a faceshield that comes from the factory coated with something that actually prevents fogging, they also have a shield that auto darkens like lots of glasses do. prices look pretty reasonable if it actually works, just thought u might b interested
http://www.terra-powersports.com/browse ... 145/rid/18

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sco ... e&ct=title

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
cycledude said:
Scorpion helmets, they claim to b the only manufacturer with a faceshield that comes from the factory coated with something that actually prevents fogging
Just so ya know, they are not the only ones that do that. Schuberth and Camberg also have shield with an anti-fog coating. Works freaking fantastic!!! The only drawback with it is that if you scratch the coating you will start the process of it peeling off. Just gotta be carefull with it. I wish all manufacturers would make a shield with the coating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts