GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to hijack Chuck's recent thread. Although most states, if not all, prohibit the concurrent use of more than 4 driving lamps on public roads; it is doubtful one would get stopped on a GL1800 if the driving/fog lamps are modified to run with the high beam circuit giving a total of 6. One, most officers are not idiots and realize the need to be seen. Two, if the lower center cowl mounted lamps are properly aimed they will hardly draw any one's Ire. Three, the high and low beam lamp arrangements give the appearance of only two lamps being on at the same time anyway; that is, it looks like two long lamps rather than 4 shorter ones. Further, at night; when it most noticeable, hardly any considerate driver would go around with high beams on facing oncoming traffic and at a distance an officer would really be at a loss to tell how many lights are on. But then, we have day time. Lots of folks on cycles seem to like going about with high beams on in broad daylight. Hopefully the lights are adjusted to be a low angle with the adjuster! On some bikes, the high beams are on and the lows are off; but on our bikes both sets are on. Given that last fact, I do not routinely use my high beams in daylight. Doing so might lead you having all 4 bulbs burning out in quick succession and this lightless in the wee hours of darkness. The low beams and driving lamps seem to be highly visible without the highs. Any way, that is my logic; for what its worth.

prs

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Sounds logic to me !

And I do have the fogs to stay on with the highs.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
With the advent of daytime running lights on all vehicles it made motorcycles running headlights during the day much harder to notice in all that light. The solution was to teach beginning riders to always ride during the day with you high beams on. Now every Tom Dick and dumb azz Harry is stuffing HID lamps into there fogs, DTR, and headlamps, making motorcycle even harder to notice. So I totally understand bikes running with as much light up front as possible including high beams...

This is not a tech thread, so I expect Bart to move it soon.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Low beams on, High beams on a modulator, LED fog lights down below. I like to be seen. At dusk, the high beams are turned off.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Here's the regulations in Nova Scotia
Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not
more than two head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations
set forth in Section 178 or any regulations that may be made under Section
a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot
lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching
another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the centre of
the highway nor more than 30 metres ahead of the vehicle. By DMV definition one head lamp is one housing, therefore the 1800 only has two headlights, so on low or high beam you can still have one spot or driving light on. I guess my bike is illegal because I have two driving lights on at all times whether on low or high beam.

It all comes down to enforcement, I have never been stopped about headlights, I am aware of at least two local cops and three RCMP with the same setup on their Wings. Also, in this province you can be ticketed for not dimming high beams even in the daytime.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can verify your states current session codes & statutes via your states official web site or LexisNexis.

Georgia codes and statutes allows for motorcycles up to x2 headlights. (GL1800 one side ( hi and low) equate to x1 headlight, the assembly is certified by DOT as 1 head light, not the number of bulbs) All vehicles X2 fog lights must be 12" off ground x1 driving light and x1 passing light that can be ran at one time. So here in Ga, I can run high beams with the fogs on and still add x2 more lights legally.

Current session Codes and Statutes for Georgia.

40-8-22. Headlights
40-8-29. Spotlights, foglights, and auxiliary lights permitted
40-8-30. Standards for multiple-beam road lighting equipment
40-8-31. Use of multiple-beam road lighting equipment

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds logic to me !

And I do have the fogs to stay on with the highs.
As do I with the Electrical Connection set-up.

Yep, Bart probably should move it since it is not technical. My bad.

prs

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have ridden all over the east coast with this set up. This pic is how I run at night with no traffic around. During the day time I run the HID Projectors and my PIAA LEDs. The signal lights are also day time running lights. I have never been bothered by law enforcement. My fogs also stay on with high beams. I do a lot of night riding and my set really lights the night.

I am sure if I run across the wrong officer he might stop me. Until then...can you see me now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I have EC 55W driving lights mounted in the cowl, properly aimed low. They do not go off when I switch to high beams. I only use the cowl lights at night, and I almost never use the high beams. But what I use the cowl lights for is running in the boonies at night. They illuminate the near ground and sides of the road better than either the low or high beams, especially in deer country and for extra light in the curves. So, if I am running in the dark, on a curvy mountain road for instance, I will intermittently switch the high beams on and off when meeting oncoming traffic, but I don't want to lose my driving lights when I do.

I don't run them "to be seen", if someone can't recognize the Goldwing low beams as an oncoming vehicle, I don't think there is anything you can do to help them.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I have ridden all over the east coast with this set up. This pic is how I run at night with no traffic around. During the day time I run the HID Projectors and my PIAA LEDs. The signal lights are also day time running lights. I have never been bothered by law enforcement. My fogs also stay on with high beams. I do a lot of night riding and my set really lights the night.

I am sure if I run across the wrong officer he might stop me. Until then...can you see me now?

Interesting that you run white in the mirrors. I've had a notion to do that but wondered about harassment and legality of white turn signals oe even if signals are noticed by cage drivers. May just do it.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Yeah - different states - different interpretations. In California - the wing's headlights are considered as one headlight on each side, the high and low beams are in a common housing therefore only count as one. Other states - not the same.

For me, I disconnected the blue/white?? wire from the highbeam/fog light relay interlock under the left pocket panel. Didn't cut it in case I ever wanted to restore that function (I don't), just removed from the relay connector. So my fogs stay on even with the high beams on. I run HIDs on low, modulator on high (when traffic warrants it). Piaa's only with no traffic at night (same with hi beams obviously).

Regarding the Electrical Connection turn signal mod with clear lens, white bulb and amber when turning -- the amber turn versus the white is quite noticeable. Kind of neat. There was a guy some time back on this forum that got a citation - the LEO considered that to be a running light that added to the 4 light total for a vehicle since it was a white light. So again - different states - different LEOs - different chances to add to the state coffers.

My fog lights have yellow lens covers - so makes me more noticeable, and definitely helps remove the "4 white light" issue in some LEO minds.

But since the mod to remove the interlock is one quick wire interruption - I consider it a minor on the nanny-state of how the bike was built.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting that you run white in the mirrors. I've had a notion to do that but wondered about harassment and legality of white turn signals oe even if signals are noticed by cage drivers. May just do it.
The whites turn Amber for signals. They are duel color led bulbs. Electrical Connections sells a kit to do this too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts