GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone encountered a fog light switch that won't hold the lights ON in the "ON" position? I does stay in the down position, but the lights will not stay on unless you keep pressure on the switch and force it to make contact.

Do I need a new switch, or is there a simple "fix" for it? Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
469 Posts
Try some contact cleaner spray and lube!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Radio Shack. $3 or so. I use for both Fogs and Fourways...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and buy a can of TV /Tuner Cleaner & Lube...works great on switchs....

Safe Rides

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Waldo has the RIGHT ANSWER :agree: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
go to Peperoni Boys & buy a new switch, just like the one that's illustrated!!!
the stock replacement switch is anywhere from $40- $60 depends on what dealer you get it from :22yikes::22yikes: :eek:4:
if the LED rocker burns out while on the road, P/U another, pop it in & go..:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Waldo, are those switches water resistent?

I would not squirt a hose in 'em, in fact, I drape a plastic grocery bag over them when washing the bike. No problems in the rain yet and I have a half cover when it's parked overnight when it might rain. As Bassman said, buy extras. If one blows, it's real easy to pop it out and replace. They use standard size spade connectors on the back and they push in from the front held in place by clips. Just leave a little extra wire on them. Don't even need to remove the mounting plate, just pop 'em out.

http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/anytime4ways.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
Replaced

I replaced mine with OEM about a year ago. I always leave mine on. One day, for some reason, I turned them off. They didn't want to turn back on.

I think it was about $65 for the switch (local stealer) and about 30 minutes of my time.

Other options have already been posted...just depends on what you want it to look like, and how much it is worth to you. I don't plan on turning mine off again. I thought about just hardwiring them on behind the switch, but opted for the "just in case" function.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I replaced mine with OEM about a year ago. I always leave mine on. One day, for some reason, I turned them off. They didn't want to turn back on.
Same thing happened to me. I wanted the stock look so I bit the bullet and bought the OEM switch from Honda. I went a step further and bought the foglight reconfiguration harness from Electrical Connection. This harness takes the power load off of the switch (theoretically this switch should last longer) and also allows the fog lights to stay on with the hi beams.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ok, so my lower cowl light switch is not working. Have tried the cleaner, etc, just will not work. Do not know if the lights and switch are OEm or not, PO had them installed. SO, on my switch, there are 4 wires, one green and one brown, close to the front plate of the switch. Then, on the back of the switch, is a brown/yellow and a brown/blue. Which wire goes to which terminal on the RS 275-731 switch?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased the switch from Radio Shack but after removing the original switch I opened it up and cleaned out the gummy grease that was causing the problem. Works like new and now don't need the RS switch.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The answer to my question of how to attach the 4 wires on the original switch to the 3 terminals on the RS switch, as found on another board:
THE ANSWER IS: not cleaning, tweaking, spring fixing but:

BRN/WHT to the POWER terminal
BRN/BLUE to the LOAD terminal
GRN goes to GROUND terminal.
Final BRN is not used.

About a 15 minute fix for about $4
:congrats:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks papa smurf2

Thats what I was looking for, do you know what the brown that is not used is for ? how is the switch fitment in the mount ?
also, are the load, power ground marked on the switch ?
Im going to get a switch to-day,
Thanks

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Thanks papa smurf2

Thats what I was looking for, do you know what the brown that is not used is for ? how is the switch fitment in the mount ?
also, are the load, power ground marked on the switch ?
Im going to get a switch to-day,
Thanks
I know much less about Japanese automotive than about German coding. German manufacturers use brown insulation on Ground wires. Brown being the color of earth/dirt. The 'extra' wire in this instance likely is there to allow the switch to be used in multiple applications.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts