GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 55w H3 lights are melting the lens glue. It is starting to run down in front of my lens on one. The glue may have driped down - heated drip down from the top - smoked and coated the silver plastic reflector and metal lens before blowing the bulb.
So what I would like to do is replace the glue with hight temp silicone. Any Ideas on how to remove the gray glue? Any good chemicals?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Did the lights come with 55w bulbs? If not then 55w would melt the sealer as it was not designed for that kind of heat generated by the lights. If they did come with 55w bulbs then I would call the manufacturer of the lights to see why it is melting.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
55w fog lights

EC heavy electrical harness and 55w bulbs. Stock Honda or Show Chrome cases. My bad, me fix.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As long as you have the upgraded wiring harness, why don't you pop in a set of HID's?

They will give you way more light, you won't have the heat issues and upgraded wiring harness will solve the light-off issues HID's sometimes have (like mine) because the stock wiring can't get them all the juice they need to get up and running.

You will have to to drill a 1" hole in the fog light backing plate for the wiring harness/grommet to pass through.

The ballasts and igniters can be tucked into the lower cowl.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hid

HIDs? Please explain friend.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
HID or High Intensity Discharge lights are a lighting system where an electric arc heats a gas and produces light. A lot of light, not so much heat or current draw.

Here is a link to where I got mine
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I did lows and fogs, will upgrade highs later.

Do a Google search for HID lighting. They're all over the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts