GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my fog lights went out on 2003. Thought I would check the fuse, but didn’t see a separate fuse for fog lights. Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
It's probably an inline fuse leading from the fog light switch back to the battery or other source.

Reactions: Newwingrider65

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red, yes I turned off high beams and they don’t come on. Though I bought the bike used, I’m pretty sure they are OEM Honda brand.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My OEM switch burnt out in the first few months I had my 2001. Had a hard time getting warranty to cover it. When they did, it went out again around year 8. I just bypassed the switch and had them on all the time. I never did use that switch.. they were always on!!! So, might want to try the switch. Easy way. pull the switch out and use a jumper to short them out... if the lights come on... it is the switch.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
The switch is the most likely culprit. Their power comes from the tail light circuit, if they are working, it’s not a fuse. Check for power on the brown/white wire at the switch. It should be hot anytime the key is on. If the power checks ok, then see if it comes out of the switch on the red wire. If it does, then short the red wire to the brown/blue wire at the cutout relay. If they still don’t come on, both bulbs are dead.

·
Registered
711 Posts
TIf they still don’t come on, both bulbs are dead.
Yeah, maybe this since the OP said it was a new bike to them, IIRC. We just talked about this in another thread, about how 2 bulbs will often fail at close to the same time. If a rider always drove with the fogs on this might get my vote b/c with my fogs, I have to look pretty diligently even at night to see if they are on or not--not like they super light up the road. (That's why I got the 'fog lights on' indicator kit.)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Their power comes from the tail light circuit, if they are working, it’s not a fuse.
Really good to know this, techdude2000. I just searched my owner's manual (worthless re: fuses) and the Honda service manual (didn't see this, but didn't look too hard either). Never saw any mention of the fog lights' fuse...Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea!

My OEM switch burnt out in the first few months I had my 2001. Had a hard time getting warranty to cover it. When they did, it went out again around year 8. I just bypassed the switch and had them on all the time. I never did use that switch.. they were always on!!! So, might want to try the switch. Easy way. pull the switch out and use a jumper to short them out... if the lights come on... it is the switch.
Thats a good idea. I'm going to look at this again this weekend. If its the switch, I'll just jumper it and leave them on all the time. More lights are safer anyway.:grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts