GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the fog light kit for my 2010. Just wondering if there are any tricks to know about. It says to use Honda Bond "A" to glue the moldings to the inside of the lower cover. The dealer was out of it but told me that 3M Automotive Trim glue is the same thing?????

·
Registered
242 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

dw

·
Registered
811 Posts
Glue ? I installed my OEM fog lights and didn't use glue. Just "plug and play" as far as I recall. Sure hope I didn't overlook the glue spec - it would be a bummer to have one of the fog lights fall out while riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also used no glue on mine. But I did put some black pinstriping around the inside of the cowl where the inside piece was cut out. Looks pretty nice, covers up the unevenness of the cuts.

·
Vendor
18,597 Posts
It is not the same. If anyone needs to know what they missed, you can see the installation instructions at JustWings.com > printed material > fog lamps. If you look there, there are 2 sets with different and they have different adhisive instructions. I recall my OEM fog lamp printing instructions to use contact cement.

Honda bond is a silicone seal made especially made for sealing engines. It hardens with engine heat or lots of dry time (as in days).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not the same. If anyone needs to know what they missed, you can see the installation instructions at JustWings.com > printed material > fog lamps. If you look there, there are 2 sets with different and they have different adhisive instructions. I recall my OEM fog lamp printing instructions to use contact cement.

Honda bond is a silicone seal made especially made for sealing engines. It hardens with engine heat or lots of dry time (as in days).
Greg ... the instructions I have call for Honda Bond "A". I don't know if the "A" means anything different ... that's what I am trying to find out.

If you check this link at JustWings http://www.justwings.com/uploads/FOG_LAMP.pdf the part needing the adhesive is #14.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When I got my Hondaline fog lights, one of the $1000 free accessories there wasn't anything mentioned about glue or any mouldings. None in the box so I used a piece of vac hose slit down the middle and used a dab of permatex contact cement worked great and looks good!:thumbup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I installed the LED on my 2010. I do not remember anything about the moulding. Is there two different kits or is this an updated kit and old kits are still readily available and being sold?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
It's not a molding, it's three little rubber pumpers that mount on the edge of the cowl opening for the lights.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
It's not a molding, it's three little rubber pumpers that mount on the edge of the cowl opening for the lights.

The same ones I haven't installed in a set yet. :eek: Installed a couple dozen Hondaline & BB fogs since '01. I can't see the "bumpers" serve a purpose! :shrug:

·
Registered
524 Posts
use locktite Stik and Seal it is waterproof and will hold tight.

·
Registered
674 Posts
where did you get fog ligts?

I cant find lights in that pattern, all I can find is cowl mounted lights.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think install took me a couple of hours. I took my time. You have to install the rubber pieces on the brackets for the lights, plus r&r lower cowl and panel on left side of bike to install the wiring harness. Someone who has done it once will be much quicker. Pretty easy install and I would recommend you do it yourself. That way, each time you look at them, you will have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Yet another useful post. Added alot of information. Since you are so anxious to correct someone, what is a rubber PUMPER.
You forgot to take your meds this morning, huh ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I did the install last night and it went pretty smooth. The instructions said to use a set of nippers to trim the pieces from the cowl but I used a Dremmel with a small cut off wheel and it came out great. Thanks for all of the input ... it really helped.;) The next project is installing a trunk wing with a brake light in it so get ready!!! :lol: That will be the last one ... no really ... I'm serious ... well ok there's the GPS thing ... but THAT is it ... honest:roll:

·
Registered
268 Posts
The trunk wing is an easy install. I took my time, measured numerous times and drilled each hole correctly. I do feel making all five holes 7/16th is too big for all except the hole for the wiring and grommet. Knowing what I do now, I would make the other four holes smaller and then work from there if needed.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
plug n play

no glueing needed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts