·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will need to buy a new light fixture. It doesn't look like that lens is replaceable. I had this happen with a new light set on my 02 the first ride after the installation. I now put lense protectors on to avoid this happening again. HTH

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Try heating it around the edges with a hair dryer. Most of those use a urethane glue to hold them on. Heat will soften the glue. Just take it slow and easy. You can use acetone to remove the remaining glue. Just try not to get it on the reflector.

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
The bulb/lens is still available

LENS ASSY., FOGLIGHT 08V31-MCA-100A

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, you can learn something new everyday. Wish I had known the lense were replaceable back when my lense was broken. World of information on this site.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I did purchase a new unit but while I was waiting I got out my heat gun and set it to low and started heating the glass between cracks. I as able to remove all the glass and scrape off a very sticky glue. As it cooled off I took a knife and scraped it off the glass, rolled it into a ribbon and replaced it in the housing. I'm going to buy a replacement lens and insert it and now I'll have a spare or a unit to sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Heat gun will work to soften the glue around the lens. Most of it stayed in the frame for me and I pressed the replacement lens in directly and wiped off a couple dribbles. HF heat guns are inexpensive and worked fine. Hair dryer is not as effective.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: rvrguyd

·
Registered
711 Posts
With the lens off can the bulb itself be replaced? Looks like there is a screw in there which makes me ask.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Mine are similar and the bulb is removable from the back but it's not easy to access. The lower cowl comes of first then you will probably need to unbolt the entire light. I've not had to change bulbs yet on mine but was thinking LED replacements and have chosen to wait.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have lens cover over mine also. They are a Honda part.

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
With the lens off can the bulb itself be replaced? Looks like there is a screw in there which makes me ask.

No. The back has to come off to replace the bulb. If I remember correctly the screw you see removes the deflector.

NAPA carried the bulbs when I needed them. Put the new lens back on with clear silicone. I’ve done a few that way. Worked fine for me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I carry a spare 35w halogen fog light bulb that I bought at an auto parts store. I believe it's the same bulb that fits many older halogen fog lamps. Still I've not burnt one out on my 02, so they seem to last quite some time.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts