GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI...has anyone replaced the OEM fog light switch ? My mechanci says you have to remove the top of the bike...gas tank cover and dash etc to get at the switch. Big job he says....2-3 hours. I am a bit suspicious of this though. Just hoping to get some direction here.

I checked and there is no power to my fog lights and the switch in the face plate is spungy to press so I suspect the swich may be bad. My bike isa 2001 GL1800

I appreciate any advice on this topic.

Cliff

·
Registered
589 Posts
In my experience, I would have to remove the left cowl trim strip, the left glove box and then the switch panel. It is doable to get the switch panel out without removing the shelter cover. Then, one disconnects the appropriate plugs and uses a phillips screwdriver to gain access to the push button switch.

There may be old favorite Navy expressions that come to mind getting the switch panel out.

Reverse the procedure.

·
Registered
643 Posts
HI...has anyone replaced the OEM fog light switch ? My mechanci says you have to remove the top of the bike...gas tank cover and dash etc to get at the switch. Big job he says....2-3 hours. I am a bit suspicious of this though. Just hoping to get some direction here.

I checked and there is no power to my fog lights and the switch in the face plate is spungy to press so I suspect the swich may be bad. My bike isa 2001 GL1800

I appreciate any advice on this topic.

Cliff
Not So!! FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC, yesterday if not faster!!!!!!!

Just have to pull the trim strip on the side, glove box, then just unlatch the switch assembly and it has enough slack to pull the switch unit out and work on it. However, if you plan to replace it with an OEM switch you have to buy the whole unit, although Radio Shack sells a switch that fits the panel, P/N 275-731. Search for other posts and you will find alot of information dealing with those switches and the repairing of yours.

Another source for a replacement switch is Lewis at Electrical Connection:
http://www.electricalconnection.com/...ch-gl18fog.htm

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The mechanic that told you that is incorrect.
What was said above is correct. Only about 10 min's to get the switch out.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

You need to find a Goldwing MECHANIC... not an ignorant parts changer... (was that harsh... :eek:4:Did I really say that?)
:thumbup:
The '02 in my garage has all the original pushbutton switches in good working order and only the flashers switch has ever been fixed. My answer is exactly the opposite of what most guys do when they know these switches sometimes stick... they stay away from using them. The cruise, mute, flashers and fog switch get cycled every time I start the bike up and again every time I clean the bike. If one seems a bit stiff or hesitant, it gets about ten quick on/off cycles. It only takes a second once you get in the habit, but like everything else on the Goldwing, they likes to get used..

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
999 Posts
.Get your new switch from The Electrical Connection. About $40. Fast shipping.

I replaced mine a few months ago. Seems like I did it in about 15 minutes.

I run my lights on 99% of the time so the switch wasn't worn out, it had melted the plastic together and wouldn't shut off. Took 11 years and100,000 miles to do, so I think I'm good until 2021.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Clean the switch.

My fog lights stopped working this summer. Pulled the switch out in about 10 minutes as stated in above threads. Pulled the entire fog light switch assembly apart.(Be careful as there is a small spring inside the assembly. looks like a ball point pen spring) Wiped off the parts and reassembled the switch. Worked perfect again. If your not wanting to disassemble the switch and clean it a new OEM switch will set you back $40.00.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I had to change mine out - it was stuck on. I went to the local dealer with a new switch in hand (got it from our board sponsor) and they said they were busy (not a bike on shop and wrenches were sitting around) and it would take an hour if I brought it back in a week or two. I went home, checked out the forum posts here and changed it myself in about ten minutes without breaking a sweat. It is just a matter of removing the trim and left pocket to get at the switch assembly.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
On My 04 titanium I found that I wanted the lights on all the time anyway and the factory wiring turned them off (federal law dont tell I cheat) with the high beams. When switch went bad I took VOM and found which wire went to the bulbe and ran a new wire to an accessory post and now my lower daytime running lights are always on and the switch button is very decorative. D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If you are going to take your switch apart for cleaning and lubrication, do yourself a favor and place the switch inside a large clear plastic bag during the procedure. A large ziplok type bag will do. Any flying parts will be more likely to be retained in the bag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts