GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, even after all the warnings on this site about taking the switch apart in a plastic bag I managed to lose a spring. I have been searching for over an hour on this site for a source for a replacement spring with no luck. I seem to remember someone posting a source for the springs awhile back. Does anyone know of a source or remember the post?

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
P.M. HiYoSilver, he knows a source for springs.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
William,
That is a possibility but only if all else fails. If I can't locate a spring, I probably will go with the Radio Shack replacement switch that has been posted here.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
William,
That is a possibility but only if all else fails. If I can't locate a spring, I probably will go with the Radio Shack replacement switch that has been posted here.

Joe in Modesto
Ball point pen spring works.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I installed my fog lights, a good friend said to leave them on all the time and you want have to worry about the switch working.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have torn apart about 30 ball point pens in my house and all the springs are too larger to work. I have always left my fogs on continuously, but I still like to have thing work the way they were intended where ever possible.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Travlinlite, I checked out that site. Looks like it could work but the site says "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
When I installed my fog lights, a good friend said to leave them on all the time and you want have to worry about the switch working.
Just an FYI, it was after I started leaving them on all the time that the switch went south. I just replaced the whole switch, which was easy.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well crap Joe I could have sworn I had a complete new switch I was just going to give you if you wanted to run over and get it. Of course I cant find the silly thing now. I may have given it to someone else already, and don't remember:shrug:
Do have a some radio shack ones. They are RadioShack Lighted Rocker Switch # 275-731

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found it!

After spending the entire morning and more driving around to various hardware stores and industrial suppliers for a replacement spring, with no luck at all, I gave up and went home. I did a few chores around the house (mowed the lawn, installed a ceiling fan, etc.) and then decided to give another try looking for the lost spring. I took a large magnet and put it in a plastic bag then started moving it across every square inch of my garage. I moved everything around and ran the magnet under everything. After about an hour and a half, I gave up. I pulled up a folding chair next to the wing and sat and pondered my next move. As I sat there with my elbows on my knees and my chin in my hands, staring at the floor I saw the missing spring laying there in plain sight! WTF!. I had been over that very spot many times.

OK, yeah, I know. Next time use a freakin bag!

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
267 Posts
glad you found that little bugger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts