GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fog light switch will not function. Actually if i push it in the lights go on but only stay on as long as i hold the switch in. Not too safe of a hand position for riding. How difficult is it to remove covers and get at the switch to replace?
Alfred

·
Registered
818 Posts
Remove the trim strip then remove 1 screw on the panel. lift up from the outside edge and remove.
EC sells a nice replacement switch that works well.

Jim

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was having the same problem. I pulled the switch, disassembled and cleaned it, then used some lube on it (I used graphite), and put it back together. It works fine now. WORK SLOWLY. THERE ARE SMALL PARTS AND SPRINGS IN THERE, AND AT LEAST ONE OF THEM IS "FITTED AND POSITIONED". PAY ATTENTION TO HOW IT COMES APART. Or, you could just spray some contact cleaner in it without taking it apart, blow it dry, then use some spray graphite (it'll get into the tiny spaces) to lube it. It took me about 30 minutes start to finish.

Removal is simple. Remove the "trim strip", remove one screw holding the panel in, and maneuver it out of its place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Too cold to work on it today (+5 C). Feels like winter is coming soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This question is for "Deputy Dawg". I did a search for EC motorcycle parts, but didn't come up with anyone who had a replacement switch like you mentioned. Can you provide a link to what you are talking about? Thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fog lite switch

I had some problems with the honda fog lite switch and took it apart 3 different times. i deceided to make a perminent fix. I went to "wally world" and found a switch for about 4 bucks. in the left faring pocket is a small area in the upper right hand corner. This switch fits in there and all it needs is a small hole for the wires and mount lug. I tooK off the honda switch and found the hot wire hooked the hot to the new switch, hooked the wire going to the lights on the other side of the new switch. I left the honda switch in place but it is not operational. when I want the fog lite on or off I just open the compartment door and now you have the "rest of the story" I found the switch and its amperage rating is higher than the fog lites draw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts