GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone how to run the factory LED fog lights with the high beams. This would provide a good triangle for on coming traffic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have all of my bikes with the triangle lights. It does make cagers (those whose phones aren't shoved up their &$*) hesitate about pulling in front of you, especially from a distance, as they can't tell what the vehicle is. That is, a cager recognizes the danger of pulling in front of a truck, but can't tell what vehicle has triangular lights. So they wait. At least that has been my experience. I also ride with high beams on, LED driving lights on during the daytime. Otherwise, low beams. LEDs stay on all the time.

To prevent a "burnt out" circuitry, I would strongly recommend using a low current SPST relay. The power leads goto the high beam and the other to ground. The relay contacts would connect - one to power, the other to LED power. The LEDs would remain on whether high or low beams are on.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The problem is that the factory wiring for the fog lights is controlled by the front control unit which also controls the headlights. You could make a relay activated bypass circuit like BlueThunder suggests above, however, that would mean you could not turn your fog lights off when the high beams were on. The fog light on/off switch on the instrument panel would only function when the low beams were on. So any time your high beams were on, your fog lights would also be on, but maybe that's a good thing. Your fog light indicator on your dash would also go out when the high beams were on, regardless of your bypass circuit, so you wouldn't see your dash indicator when the high beams were active regardless of the fact that your fog lights were really on.

I'm also a bit unsure if there would be a risk to the front control unit if you provided your own power lead to the fog lights. There could be a potential issue if voltage was present on that line when the control unit had it commanded in an off state that it might back feed into the controller and cause a problem. It probably wouldn't be an issue, but there is a possibility it might cause a problem. You could insert a diode in series with the fog lamp circuit to prevent any potential back feeding just to be safe.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
With a little work, I believe I could design a circuit that would work and still allow you to have the fog lights either on or off using the stock fog light switch with the high beams on, but it would require modification and adding a new circuit.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
I think the better solution is to just buy the Rivco lights if you want to run the fog light with the high beams on :)...BTW...it's illegal to do that here in my State

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I have been riding BOTH of my wings 02 (when I owned it) & now my 10 with HIGHBEAMS and lower FOG LIGHTS on, for years....(daytime use only with the highbeams) I want as much light to be on as possible... I believe that has stopped cars to pull out in front of me (I believe that the added lights do in fact catch the eye of other drivers) although I'm still careful, when I see a car waiting to pull out of a side street ....(I always wondered "why" is highbeams and lower fog lights on at same time against the law???) I've never been stopped because both my lights are on by any LEO's but then again, I'm not speeding or acting like a crazy boy on a crotch rocket every day either....

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Captron, it is against the law because a vehicle can only have 4 lights on at one time (unless off-roading, etc). Not 6 . . .

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The Canadian model bikes do not turn off the fog lights when the high beams are turned on. The US model does. You would have to alter the programming in the control module.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Colorado and have never been bothered with my other bikes having both the high beams and fog lights on at the same time. When I had my K1600GTL I had not only a set of Clearwater Ericas and Darlas but they worked with both low and high beams. I will keep looking for a solution as this is a safety problem. Once again big brother knows better then us what they think we need.
On my work bike I do not have this problem, We can and do run fog LEDs high and low beams plus our take down lights. On the other side of the equation we can no longer run stealth mode with all our lights turned off. We had to get all our bikes modified to run the brake light.
I will find a solution to the fog light problem.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
goldwing

Not only is it illegal in Oregon, it's required to turn off your fog lights when approaching oncoming traffic, just like high beams.

No one in Oregon seems to read the traffic manual so it's a mute point. Da*m pickups leave them on all the time along with their high beams. It's really nice when they pull up three feet from your rear bumper at night!

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Do let us know

I live in Colorado and have never been bothered with my other bikes having both the high beams and fog lights on at the same time. When I had my K1600GTL I had not only a set of Clearwater Ericas and Darlas but they worked with both low and high beams. I will keep looking for a solution as this is a safety problem. Once again big brother knows better then us what they think we need.
On my work bike I do not have this problem, We can and do run fog LEDs high and low beams plus our take down lights. On the other side of the equation we can no longer run stealth mode with all our lights turned off. We had to get all our bikes modified to run the brake light.

@iride4u
Do let us know if you find a solution!

Reactions: RickLB

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I am leaving in May for a month and when I return I have 4 other trips planed this summer. I decided to go with the EC lights and will sell the factory lights.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I installed the OEM fog lights and while they do turn off when the high beams are activated, I also installed a headlight modulator that only works with high beams on. I think the modulator is more effective than the fog lights in regards to alerting oncoming traffic.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts

I can draw up a diagram how to do this, but you'll have to make it on your own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts