GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first spring day warm and dry enough to ride and there were hundreds of bikes on our secondary highways. One of those bikes had a set of driving lights/fog lights on and it was absolutely a game changer for visibility. My 2018 does not have fog lights and once I saw the cost of the lights plus labor it was prohibitive and so I watched some DIY videos and even they looked like extensive effort so I decided against. But seeing them in action really impressed me. I thought "well we have good headlights" but with the fog lights on you really look. Definitely on my shopping list now.

G.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you ride with a group of 5-6 have a look in your mirror. The bikes with fog lights will REALLY stand out & appear larger than those without! It’s a no brainer to have fog lights on your bike for visibility!

·
Registered
477 Posts
One of the easiest installs for me were the Electrical Connections fog lights and switch. I really like having the OEM-style switch on the console. Just take your time. For me the hardest part was getting them aimed correctly and all of that was on me and even that wasn't all that difficult.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have the Electrical Connection driving lights...very easy to install and doesnt take that much time for the install. I installed the OEM style switch one night after work...and then the lights the next night.

You can tell its a Gold Wing from a 1/4 miles away with the driving lights installed. I have them installed mostly for the daytime riding to be seen better....and for the looks, the bike looks so much better with the driving lights installed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Today was the first spring day warm and dry enough to ride and there were hundreds of bikes on our secondary highways. One of those bikes had a set of driving lights/fog lights on and it was absolutely a game changer for visibility. My 2018 does not have fog lights and once I saw the cost of the lights plus labor it was prohibitive and so I watched some DIY videos and even they looked like extensive effort so I decided against. But seeing them in action really impressed me. I thought "well we have good headlights" but with the fog lights on you really look. Definitely on my shopping list now.

G.
Do a little research.......a lot of choices
Electrical Connection, Honda OEM, Pathfinder, Rivco, and several others.

I decided on the Pathfinder fog lights along with the corner running lights/turn signals.....they use the Honda OEM switch.
They add a lot of visibility and that was my main goal as I rarely ride at night and don't need them for illuminating the road.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like the electrical connection ones. With help from online videos they were not that difficult to install. I also used the EC switch that allows you to run them with the high beams on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I decided on the Pathfinder fog lights along with the corner running lights/turn signals.....they use the Honda OEM switch.
Do you have any issues with the cornering lights flashing at a different rate than the turn signals?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Nope.....looks exactly the same to me.
They are sequential LED so they flash in a wrap pattern around the fog light cowling.

Very nice & bright IMHO....
Thanks. A guy on another forum says his don't flash in sync with his signals and it drives him crazy.

Those cornering lights may be a purchase when I get my stimulus check.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read somewhere that Electrical Connections was coming out with a set that was intended for visibility only and at a very good price. That's what I need as I do very little night time riding.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I read somewhere that Electrical Connections was coming out with a set that was intended for visibility only and at a very good price. That's what I need as I do very little night time riding.
If you're talking about the EC cowl lights, they add visibility AND serve as turn signals. I saw their prototype on another forum. White light for visibility and amber for sequential turn signals. I am waiting for them to go into production before I decide on them or SoCal's version. Considering EC is US made, and I can't find out where SoCal's are made, EC has the edge with me. Also read a post (1 post, either here or another forum) that SoCal's version failed after a week.

·
Registered
607 Posts
While I have a Gen I, I'm a lighting fanboy. Fog light installs on these bikes requires:
  • pulling off the lower cowl
  • installing brackets
  • connecting to factory connectors (they're there),
  • running wiring up to the dash/pocket areas,
  • installing a fog light switch and relay.
About a 2-2.5 hour job.

EC has a reputation for developing higher light output LED systems:

But SoCalMotoGear has something else you'll want, to add to your "illumination":

Then, you'll be "all of that!"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thought I wold mention that I am planning a foglight purchase. The EC foglights are brighter and the instructions are thorough and kind of funny and their staff is nearly immediate in responding to questions. Mostly American made.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not bought yet, but will mention Electrical Connection has been fantastic as far as customer service response to my questions.

G.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
But SoCalMotoGear has something else you'll want, to add to your "illumination":
FYI, EC is developing a cowl lights/turn signals. Lewis hopes to make them more budget friendly than SoCal's version.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts