GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe the best place for aux lighting is down low on the bike, the lower the better. That causes it to accentuate shadows caused by bumps, dips, and debris on the road.

To that end, the ones that mounted low on the fork tubes also had the advantage of turning the lights into the turn, but I don't think that type is compatible with the 18/19 front suspension.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Reactions: GoingGrey

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Bike above illegal in all 50 states

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Legal

Yea, it’s not
I don't think any state allows 6 forward facing white lights. I know Kansas does not. I currently have 6 and am trying to figure out if I want to turn off my cowl lights when I turn on my driving lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you can have white and amber front facing lights only unless your an emergency vehicle. If you couldn’t have white then we wouldn’t be allowed to have headlights. There is no current statute as to the limitation of either color used as such.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
4 light max at any given time! 6 lights running on that bike. Laen is right . . . illegal in Canada, too! :surprise:

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
865 Posts
Yea, it’s not
It actually is. The FMVSS doesn't allow more than four lamps at a time. It's why fog lights turn off when you turn your high beams on. Running 6 lights is illegal.

Additionally, mounting lights above (IIRC) 44" height (to the centerline of the light, measured with bike upright) is illegal. Check your own settings on your shocks/tires/light combo, it could be close...

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
4 light max at any given time! 6 lights running on that bike. Laen is right . . . illegal in Canada, too! :surprise:
looking at BC MV regs (division 4), you are permitted to have 2 headlights, 2 driving lights & 2 fog lights
no where does it limit to the number....fog lights can be used in place of headlights when the conditions permit
-unless I am missing something

·
Registered
865 Posts
looking at BC MV regs (division 4), you are permitted to have 2 headlights, 2 driving lights & 2 fog lights
no where does it limit to the number....fog lights can be used in place of headlights when the conditions permit
-unless I am missing something
Check how many of those can be used simultaneously. If it's like the FMVSS in the US (which I believe it is), you can have any number of lights mounted up front - but no more than four of those can be illuminated at any one time, on-road. Furthermore, there are restrictions on intensity, dispersion, and angle, so you cannot have four high-beams on (and in fact it is illegal to use high beams within 300 feet - if trailing - or 500 feet - if on-coming - of another vehicle).

It's not the number mounted that is the issue, it's the fact they are all on at one time.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It actually is. The FMVSS doesn't allow more than four lamps at a time. It's why fog lights turn off when you turn your high beams on. Running 6 lights is illegal.

Additionally, mounting lights above (IIRC) 44" height (to the centerline of the light, measured with bike upright) is illegal. Check your own settings on your shocks/tires/light combo, it could be close...
Hi beams and low beams on one side only count as one light. In Kansas, fog lights cannot be run with high beams but driving lights can be.

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Each state has various laws below is a summation of my state

Texas

The DMV may refuse to register a motorcycle and may suspend or revoke the registration if the DMV determines that the motorcycle’s braking system does not comply with safety requirements.
An operator of a motorcycle must ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle.
A passenger may ride only on the permanent and regular seat, if designed for 2 persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind or to the side of the operator. No passengers under age 5 permitted.
A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, must be equipped with not more than 2 headlamps, at least 1 tail lamp, a separate rear license plate lamp, at least 1 stop lamp, and at least 1 rear red reflector.
A motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, must be equipped with multiple-beam headlamps.
A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least 1 headlamp is illuminated.
The operator and any passenger on a motorcycle or moped are required to wear an approved helmet. However, a person is exempt from wearing a helmet if the person is at least 21 years old, and has successfully completed a motorcycle operator and training safety course or is covered by at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle.

2019 an additional note of no LED type lights pointing down on the bike

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi beams and low beams on one side only count as one light. In Kansas, fog lights cannot be run with high beams but driving lights can be.
Per Kansas Statute 8-1726, only tractors and vehicles made prior to July 1, 1938 can have a single beam on a side. All others must have two lamps (high and low). That means they are actually TWO lights on the side, unless you have a pre-July 1938 vehicle or a tractor. They do not count as one light, even if they physically share the same housing.

Additionally, KS 8-1728(b) states "not more than a total of four (4) of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway". If you have high and low beams, you cannot run driving/fog lights as well. That is six lights.

In California (and probably most of the Western states, they tend to follow CA), it is explicitly stated (CVC 24405) that you cannot have more than four forward lights at a time. I know this is also the case in WA and OR, and I assume it's in ID, NV, AZ, and a few of the others. I would not be surprised if every State had this limitation, as CA, WA, OR, and KS do.

If your high and low beams are on, you cannot run other forward lights. If your driving lights are on, you must have either high OR low (not both) on. And you must always have at least low beams on at night, as driving lights cannot be legally mounted high enough to qualify as low beams, and fog lights are legally restricted from being bright enough to pass as a low beam.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Back to the original topic. Yes, I have mounted under mirror light.

I don’t need light codes for various states. If taken to jail over my lights, I’ll do my time. And when I get released, I’ll still be able to see the road better than you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts