GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fog lights on my '06 Wing quit on me (I have the Elec Conn ones). I have power (12v) to the switch connector, the switch is functioning (continuity through the two switching wires) and the green wire in the connector is at ground. Yet I get no power to the lamps - does anyone have any ideas that I can try to resolve this other than a manual rewire. I would really prefer to connect via the in place Honda wiring harness. The 20A fuse is fine.

The only symptom was that a week or so ago I couldn't release the switch - turn the fog lights turn off. I kept hitting the button (on the left side console by the low beam adjuster) until it finally released.

H-E-L-P.

· Registered
2,136 Posts
1. Fog lights don't work if the hi-beams are on.

2. Fog light relay is dead. Remove left pocket, and then pull out the headlight / shock adjust panel. wiring harness is there along with the relay dangling on a wire. See if you got power to the relay if so, that is probably it unless both your bulbs burned out at the same time or you lost your ground circuit.

3. Switch can be quirky. I've learned to switch on by pressing on the bottom of the switch where the raised bar is, and switch off by pressing on the top of the switch. just that difference seems to allow it to function.

· Registered
2013 Red GW
5,937 Posts
I had a lot of problems with the switch. It would work sometimes and then not work. Finally just did away with it. Check the voltage at the relay down by the battery. It should click when the switch is engaged, and send 12 volts to the lights. I did have one of the lights burn out of my ion lights, but not both. Switch or relay is the most common cause of light problems. If you have an ohm meter you could check the bulbs for resistance or lack of to find out whether they are blown.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Honda fog lights (my wife has the EC ones). It turns out that the Honda brand fog lights do not go on if the high beams are on (I found this out on another board). My left low beam went out on me last week and I turned on the high beams (during day riding) to compensate. I just switched the High beams off, now everything works fine. In the meantime I tore much of my bike apart for nothing. Live & learn I guess.

· Registered
352 Posts
Relay I bet cha

The relay has normally closed contacts that pass power to the fog lights unless the high beams are on. When you turn on the high beams this also turns on the relay and the contacts open. I took the relay out of the circuit and I burn the fog lights all the time. Friends say they show up real good even in the daytime. Jim

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

Jim,

Yup, that was my problem - my high beams were on - thanks for the info - now to put my bike back together again - all for nothing.

· Registered
1,599 Posts
Jim,

Yup, that was my problem - my high beams were on - thanks for the info - now to put my bike back together again - all for nothing.

LOL! Just wait till your bike won't crank and after lots of cursing and looking you find it's the "Kill" switch! :eek:4:

Since I don't use the Kill switch I tend to forget it's there. Kill switch on my bass boat got me one time also!

· Registered
2,336 Posts
try this

Once my wing would not start, it took me several minutes to discover
the reverse button had been accidentally depressed. :wrong:

· Registered
517 Posts
LOL! Just wait till your bike won't crank and after lots of cursing and looking you find it's the "Kill" switch! :eek:4:

Since I don't use the Kill switch I tend to forget it's there. Kill switch on my bass boat got me one time also!
Yea that really fun when you hit it with the cuff of your glove while riding and the engine dies at 65mph! Rolled to a stop and was swearing at my new gold wing for 3 minutes until I figured out the kill switch was off. Pretened I meant to stop to look at scenery and moved on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.