GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... looking at installing some fog lights. Likely won't go with factory ones due to cost and expect aftermarket might be brighter.

The Show Chromes are catching my eye as they seem to be the brightest, but not sure of how the focal point is set. I'm looking for something that will give me some decent light when it's dark out. AND use the factory wiring harness...

Opinions out there? Is there something better than the Show Chrome fog lights?

Thanks in advance
M

·
Registered
476 Posts
I’ve got the show chrome. They don’t put out a beam but more of a flood pattern that goes out to the sides of the roadways. I seldom right at night anyways due to the amount of deer in my area but they are a must have in the day time for added safety. There is a brand that has 4 leds in each housing that are very bright but I can’t remember but the brand. Cruiseman did a review on them

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not really answering your question per se.
I know that the following is not truly scientific but it is what I have mounted on my 18 DCT, the mirror and comfort bar lights where added this winter so - no on the road observation.
So while the white stuff is all around my area I decided to take off the Tupperware and do some lighting “enhancements”. And yes there is a setup where I can run an illegal configuration, more than 4 forward facing lights on at the same time. Light measurements are for only 1 light (left one) on at a time. Light meter is an EXTECH ft. candle light meter 401027, measurements taken 5.5 ft. from the light. And finding the brightest point. Pathfinder lights do do a good job.

Setup from the top down:
  • Bikes Hi/Lo headlight controlled normally, DOT approved,
  • Unknown 4 led spot light mounted under the mirrors, probable not DOT approved, controlled by Hi beam being on and has disconnect switch inline to allow turning this light off when Hi beam is on.
  • Pod LED lights mounted on National Cycle Comfort Bars , DOT approved, manually controlled by switch, powered when bike is on. Can be turned on when Hi beam is on.
  • Pathfinder LED lights mounted in engine cowl, DOT, controlled by fog light switch in control console, only on when Lo beam is on.
Light measurements, since there is no direct conversion of candle power (CP) to lumens (L) I used the accepted conversion of 1 Candle = 12. 57 Lumens. mesurements for only left side light being on

• Hi beam 1290 CP = 16215 L, Lo Beam 346 CP = 4350 L
  • Mirror LED 532 CP = 6687 L
  • Pod LED 420 CP = 5279 L
  • Pathfinder LED 149 CP = 1873 L

·
Registered
827 Posts
SoCalMotoGear work great for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rivco. VERY BRIGHT. 4 LEDs in each unit. Not controlled by factory wiring or switch. Independent on/off switch. I rarely ride at night, however they are very visible from a long distance. I had to adjust mine down quite a bit to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and they are still bright. Here's a picture of where I mounted the switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I, too, went with the Electrical Connections set. Vey easy install and the on/off switch fits right into the console. Looks OEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have Electrical Connections. I had the right light that would dim then after a few minutes would go back bright. I called them and they immediately sent a replacement and I returned the bad one. Great Customer service!! I did the "shortcut" console install of the OEM looking switch. I am really happy with the lights.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I installed the Pathfinder LED (SOCALMOTOGEAR) fog lights along with the corner running lights/sequential turn signals.
They are super bright and throw more of a broad attention getting light pattern.
I never ride at night but want fog lights for more daytime visibility and these do the trick really well.

Each fog light throws a different light pattern and you need to purchase the lights that suit your purpose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the Rivco brand driving lights and they are extremely bright. It was an easy install using their hardware, but I added my own Waterproof toggle switch below the parking brake lever.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I installed the Pathfinder LED (SOCALMOTOGEAR) fog lights along with the corner running lights/sequential turn signals.
They are super bright and throw more of a broad attention getting light pattern.
I never ride at night but want fog lights for more daytime visibility and these do the trick really well.

Each fog light throws a different light pattern and you need to purchase the lights that suit your purpose.

Wish those had been available in early 18. I like the low turn signals & wrap around design.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback.. still researching! :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
EC for me :cool:

·
Registered
16,481 Posts
When shopping for the product that is supposed to do what the OP said he desires, look of "dirving lights", not "fog lights". The brighest and longest distance will be useless for fog.

prs

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When shopping for the product that is supposed to do what the OP said he desires, look of "dirving lights", not "fog lights". The brighest and longest distance will be useless for fog.

prs
Thanks.. completely understand that. However, I'm trying to keep the look of my new wing pretty clean. I had driving lights on my RT under the mirrors and I do not want that on the wing. Which is why I wanted to install lights in the fog light spots for an OEM look and was hoping to find something that had some "reach" at night.

·
Registered
16,481 Posts
They are out there, some good suggestions above; just not so good for foggy conditions.

prs

·
Registered
15 Posts
So... looking at installing some fog lights. Likely won't go with factory ones due to cost and expect aftermarket might be brighter.

The Show Chromes are catching my eye as they seem to be the brightest, but not sure of how the focal point is set. I'm looking for something that will give me some decent light when it's dark out. AND use the factory wiring harness...

Opinions out there? Is there something better than the Show Chrome fog lights?

Thanks in advance
M
It seems to me that the only reason to buy fog lights is because they look cool and you really, really like them. That's personal preference and I fully support that! But please don't ride your bike in the fog. It's bad enough to drive a CAR in the fog. If you're getting them to get more light when driving at night, I would go with the brighter ones--not the ones that are better in fog. Personally, when I switch on my brights at night, that is more than sufficient.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts