GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I really like mine from Electrical connection. Had them installed at Bikeweek last year. Switch looks/is OEM . If you are going to Bikeweek this year, EC is at the Honda shop. And if you are going to Bikeweek, ping me, we can meet at Ocean Deck for lunch!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I really like mine from Electrical connection. Had them installed at Bikeweek last year. Switch looks/is OEM . If you are going to Bikeweek this year, EC is at the Honda shop. And if you are going to Bikeweek, ping me, we can meet at Ocean Deck for lunch!
Thanks! If I was going there is nothing I'd like better. But sadly, I'm still working (for another year) so my time if is still limited. I'll have to make bike week one of these years.... My two trips this year are Natchez Trace for a week in May and the Pacific Coast highway north of San Francisco and then some nice roads in Idaho, Montana, SD on the way home.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will be there Wed thru Sat but not taking my BW this year

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I bought the BigBike foglights for my '07 GW. I went with HID bulbs in the low beams and the fog lights. To get the HID bulbs to fit the housing I had to drill a 3/4" hole in the backing plate. Mounting the ballasts in the lower cowling was a challenge.

Was concerned about the high starting current of the HID lights. So I went to the Pathfinder LEDs for the high and low beams. For the fog lights I wired in a relay and a fused power line.
The HIDs draw about 15 amps on fire up but drop down to about 7 amps running after about 5 -7 seconds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So... looking at installing some fog lights. Likely won't go with factory ones due to cost and expect aftermarket might be brighter.

The Show Chromes are catching my eye as they seem to be the brightest, but not sure of how the focal point is set. I'm looking for something that will give me some decent light when it's dark out. AND use the factory wiring harness...

Opinions out there? Is there something better than the Show Chrome fog lights?

Thanks in advance
M
If you are looking for the brightest it is likely Denali. I bought a set last year for my 19 GW tour after being very satisfied with their lights on my BMW R1200RT. I returned them after learning they had no install or wiring instructions included and the technical guru at Denali who was at the national BMW rally in Tennessee could not find the time to help me with them. I know others here have installed the Denali lights and love them. I bought EC lights and love them. Very bright and clear written instructions on how to install them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check your state laws about how many lights you can have and whether the extra lights can be on if the headlight is on bright setting.

Also check your state laws on focusing. In the states near me you are ok as long as the center of the beam hits below the center of the bulb at 25 feet. If they aim too high you can be ticketed in some states.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have OEM fog lights and never use them at night unless it is foggy. I find that they're so bright, close to the bike, that my eyes don't adjust as well to the darkness and my visibility is reduced further up the road where it's more useful.

I do leave them on during the day to increase the chances of others seeing me though.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts