GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I'm a newby. Got my first wing last week - '04
Have greatly appreciated all the great info on this board !
Am considering adding lights. Which type (fog or driving) is best to go with and why?
Which brand (and source) do you all recommend
Thanks much

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Hi Dutch-

I can recommend the lights sold by the Electrical Connection at www.electricalconnection.com

They sell different types of lights for different wants and needs. You won't go wrong with any of their lights. The owner, Lewis, is a good businessman and you will see him on this board... contributing and answering questions.

Since you are a new member, please allow me to pass on tip.

Look at the top of this page, where the "GL1800Riders.com Message Boards" banner is. Now, below that is a couple lines of text. The second function in the first line is "Search". You should be able to find enough about fog and driving lights with that search function to keep you learning for at least an hour.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
When I decided to add fog lights,I first ordered the Tulsa's,but they were backordered at the time,so I went with the EC Ion's.

They came with excellent instructions,and are very good quality.

I believe the Tulsa's are good quality as well.
You can't go wrong with either.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Welcome Dutch :D

I went with EC Platinum's, instructions were great. My choice because they included the lense guards (clear and amber) and have replacable bulbs (Honda Line do not).

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
DutchWing - there are a number of great choices and I have been happy with the E.C. Ion lights. Couple of things to consider:

Make certain they are 55 Watt and shy away from the 35 Watt, such as Honda's. Also, Honda's are both very expensive, but also if you have a problem with one of the lights, you're going to have to replace the whole accessory rather then replace a lens unit or a light bulb.

Get some covers for the lights as they are in an area where you can more easily get rocks or debris that will break a lens (Experience is a good teacher).

I like to drive with mine on full time and the new bulbs that come with the E.C. lights have been great and lasted a long long time with everyday use.

Good addition and you will like the additional lighting it provides just ahead of your Wing on the road, plus the added visibility your bike has for other traffic.

DaleC

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Javern said:
TRUE ! however if people pay $800 for a cd changer or $500 for a cb......they should consider some excellent quality aux driving lights that could save your life.
The prices for the CB and CD are much too high also. I don't own either.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
mrgl02 said:
Javern said:
TRUE ! however if people pay $800 for a cd changer or $500 for a cb......they should consider some excellent quality aux driving lights that could save your life.
The prices for the CB and CD are much too high also. I don't own either.
I second-third and forth that. I do not own the cb of cd changer :D Hal would have to "give" them to me......you listening Hal ??

·
Registered
823 Posts
EC Platinum series lights are great.

And Hal if you get in the giving mood I'll also take one of those cb radios but you can keep the cd player.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Driving Lights

I purchased the EC Platinum Series and are extremely happy with them. They have a two year warranty on the Narva (German) bulbs, and even come with one spare bulb, and the clear and amber protective covers. This set also has the OEM lighted switch that installs exactly as the factory switch.

I did have a problem with the mount bolt length on the left side. The bolt was a little short and did not engage the threads enough where it screws into the front engine case. I replaced the bolt with a 5mm longer bolt. I called EC and discussed with them. They said they had shortened the length on the bolt because it was bottoming out on some units. I checked the blocks at work and did not find any short threaded units. (I work at the Honda engine plant where we make the engine cases)

These lights are top notch quality, you get what you pay for. They are extremely bright and the Narva Bulbs are Xenon filled so they are white.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Driving Lights

I purchased the EC Platinum Series and are extremely happy with them. They have a two year warranty on the Narva (German) bulbs, and even come with one spare bulb, and the clear and amber protective covers. This set also has the OEM lighted switch that installs exactly as the factory switch.

I did have a problem with the mount bolt length on the left side. The bolt was a little short and did not engage the threads enough where it screws into the front engine case. I replaced the bolt with a 5mm longer bolt. I called EC and discussed with them. They said they had shortened the length on the bolt because it was bottoming out on some units. I checked the blocks at work and did not find any short threaded units. (I work at the Honda engine plant where we make the engine cases)

These lights are top notch quality, you get what you pay for. They are extremely bright and the Narva Bulbs are Xenon filled so they are white.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I hope your handle Dutchwing indicates you speak Dutch; here goes:

Dat hangt er vanaf hoe belangrijk je het vindt dat de schakelaar er als fabrieksmatig uitziet. Alleen Big Bike en OEM hebben de juiste schakelaar. Zij werken echter beide met H3 35W lampen over de standaard bedrading die alleen in de US spec modellen aanwezig is. ED E en F type motoren (de EU specs) hebben geen standaard bedrading voor mistlampen. Ik heb zelf BB met zwaardere lampen (55W) en eigen bedrading geinstalleerd.

If you couldn't understand the above: I'm rambling on over OEM look for the switch and load on the circuitry and the difference in EU and US spec bikes.

HTH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fog lites

I have Big Bike fog lites,they are the same as hondas but about 110.cheaper...I have broken a lens as well as burn't out a bulb,I removed the clips and pried off the old lens as it was sealed on resealed and installed a new lens,put in a new bulb and they are like new...these lites are not as brite as some but are rubber mtd. so they don't shake the bulbs out...JMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts