GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have LED fog lights fitted in the lower cowl on my 2013 GL1800, they only light up with my low beams not with the high beams.
How do I get them to stay on when I switch to high beam?

· Registered
2018 GL1800B Six speed
22 Posts
Check you state transportation code. Here in Texas only 4 forward facing bulbs can be on at a time. That's why fog lights turn off when high beams are on. Now led bulbs kind of murky upped that law so to each their own.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
I understand that the wiring for Europe Goldwing's are different from USA. This may be why your cowl - fog lights are wired the way they are.
Perhaps someone over the pond can chime in.
Corventure Dave

· GL1800 Doctor
22,153 Posts
I have LED fog lights fitted in the lower cowl on my 2013 GL1800, they only light up with my low beams not with the high beams.
How do I get them to stay on when I switch to high beam?
If they are wired like ours in the states, just cut the blue trigger wire at their cutout relay under the left fairing pocket.

· Registered
9,551 Posts
When I purchased my zero mileage bike, I had the lower fogs installed by the selling dealer (and like your self only came on when low beams were on, and OFF when hi beams were on.............I had them changed so the lowers DO come on when in high beam.... I do ride (daytime only) with my hi's on 100% of the time.....I like my four lights on front, shinning as well as my lower fogs... (visibility is much better that way)

Ronnie
12/12/22

· Registered
641 Posts
Interesting. I installed the standard EC white lights using the existing Honda wiring on my '06, and "just following directions", the lights stay on regardless of the status of the high beams. Given that I am the third owner, and the original owner had some odd ideas about what he liked (cutting pin on cancel unit for example), I am guessing that he may have already cut the wire you discussed?

· GL1800 Doctor
22,153 Posts
Interesting. I installed the standard EC white lights using the existing Honda wiring on my '06, and "just following directions", the lights stay on regardless of the status of the high beams. Given that I am the third owner, and the original owner had some odd ideas about what he liked (cutting pin on cancel unit for example), I am guessing that he may have already cut the wire you discussed?
Possibly. The way the system normally works is when you turn on the high beams, the power wire for the high beams is split and runs to the cutout relay to trigger it on. I don’t have the diagrams for Canadian or overseas wings so it’s just speculation on how Honda did them, but the cutout relay is the easiest way to accomplish killing the fogs when the highs are on. The wire is solid blue on the US versions and runs to the harness connector where the cutout relay is under the fairing pocket.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,153 Posts
Another point. The cutout relay and its small harness are usually supplied with the fog lights. The bike doesn’t come from the factory with the cutout relay or it’s harness, that’s why the EC’s didn’t cutout, they weren’t meant to from Lewis. The bike only comes from the factory with the wires that run to both lights and it just has a plug at the top for whatever switch/relay combination is used. It doesn’t even come with the switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts