GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tempted to get my wife a creative Christmas present: Fog lights set for my new GL1800 ABS. I saw some sets from "Big Bike" with very mediocre recommendations. Also, I am trying to decide between the 35W and the 55 W. Any suggestions?
Fred H. recommends the 55 W but my understanding is that this does not have a switch - they are permanently connected to the battery. Does it matter?
Thanks,
D.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
fog lights

Unless you find yourself frequently riding in the fog, I would definitely NOT go with any "fog lights". Fog lights are designed for fog.
By design they have lower illumination, wide beam so as not to reflect light back from the fog in which you are traveling through.
Rather check out PIA X1100 riding lights.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The Show Chrome (Big Bike Parts) is a copy of the Hondaline kit. They are 35 watt and the wiring is the limiting factor. The kit is designed to run on low beam only. They require the least amount of work to install.

Our kits use a seperate harness since they draw more power. We have pretty good instructions for running the harness. A seperate switch is indeed included to control them. Our kit can be run on low beam only, high beam only or both. As far as lights that can be cowl mounted, we have the brightest ones. 55 watt is the standard for the H3 bulb...available at any auto parts store. The 35 watters typically require a bit of hunting.

The PIAA lights that mount under the fairing are a more focused beam and can reach down the road a bit further.

Tell me what you are wanting the lights to do for you and we can make a better recomendation.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
The Show Chrome (Big Bike Parts) is a copy of the Hondaline kit. They are 35 watt and the wiring is the limiting factor. The kit is designed to run on low beam only. They require the least amount of work to install.

Our kits use a seperate harness since they draw more power. We have pretty good instructions for running the harness. A seperate switch is indeed included to control them. Our kit can be run on low beam only, high beam only or both. As far as lights that can be cowl mounted, we have the brightest ones. 55 watt is the standard for the H3 bulb...available at any auto parts store. The 35 watters typically require a bit of hunting.

The PIAA lights that mount under the fairing are a more focused beam and can reach down the road a bit further.

Tell me what you are wanting the lights to do for you and we can make a better recomendation.
I just received my E/c Lights. Will I need a seperate harness to be able to run light with high beams on?
thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You cant beat the Platinum series lights from Electrical connection. They are very bright. I get a lot of good comments on them...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
MG_Wings said:
I just received my E/c Lights. Will I need a seperate harness to be able to run light with high beams on?
thanks
Nope...you have everything you need in the box. Nothing extra to buy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ben:

I've got the Platinum series from EC! They are great in adding light to fill in where the high beams miss at night and provide side of the road coverage. ( IMO)

Friends that have HD's always remark at the lighting that the 1800 has. They're jealous of course. The EC come with everything you need to install in the box and can be run on high or low beams!

Once you get past the idea of using a spring to mount through the plastic of the cowl, you'll be amazed at the product!

I'd do it all over again!

Happy Trails

·
Registered
751 Posts
Fooddum01 said:
Ben:

I've got the Platinum series from EC! They are great in adding light to fill in where the high beams miss at night and provide side of the road coverage. ( IMO)

Friends that have HD's always remark at the lighting that the 1800 has. They're jealous of course. The EC come with everything you need to install in the box and can be run on high or low beams!

Once you get past the idea of using a spring to mount through the plastic of the cowl, you'll be amazed at the product!

I'd do it all over again!

Happy Trails

I'm going to try to install mine........Was it hard? any tips?
thanks

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
E.C. Platniums, the best I've ever seen, easy to install, well made, good instructions, the additional light fills in between and under the headlight beam, looks very good and improves visibility to oncoming traffic by at least 50%. 8) Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts