GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas!

I’m installing the LED fog lights from EC today. They are set for plug and play and come with a switch for dash mounting.

However, I would like them to act with the front turn signals so that they blink with the ones on the front mirrors and stay on as running lights just like the front signals. I called EC last week, but was told Lewis would be out until after the first and that he was the guy with the proper instructions on this.

Anyone else know the best way to wire this? I was told (by EC) that I can’t just piggyback them into the front signals and that I would need to use the rears for some reason, but they were not confident telling me how and to wait on Lewis. It will be 65 tomorrow. Help please,…….must… go… for…..ride :biker: .
Being LED they do not have a relay, only a 3amp fuse required.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Here is what you do:

Take the ground wire for the side you are installing and run it up to the turn signal + wire in the mirror rubber boot. Instead of a traditional ground, you will be using a + as a ground causing the lower LED light to alternate with the top signal light. Sounds wierd, works well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lewis for the reply. Now, knowing Murphy is always right around the corner, let me make sure I completely understand this.

I will be using the same (+) power lead at the terminal from under the left compartment cubby pocket, BUT I will not be using the (-) ground from there: Instead I will be running the (-) ground wire up from each EC LED fog light to the (+) lead of its respective mirror housing turn signal? This will make the fog lights work in exact unison with the signals and not hurt anything?

Thanks. Just making sure as this does sound odd to me. Oh, and can I do this exactly the same way with the EC amber LED front marker/dust cover lights I just ordered?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Got it all done and it works great!

B

·
0 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
Here is what you do:

Take the ground wire for the side you are installing and run it up to the turn signal + wire in the mirror rubber boot. Instead of a traditional ground, you will be using a + as a ground causing the lower LED light to alternate with the top signal light. Sounds wierd, works well.
Lewis,

You know how I like lots of flashing lights. Well, reading this I am wondering if I could do this with my OEM Fog lights?

Don

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
beastie said:
Lewis/EC said:
Here is what you do:

Lewis,

You know how I like lots of flashing lights. Well, reading this I am wondering if I could do this with my OEM Fog lights?

Don
Don,

Think in terms of CURRANT DRAW. The LED's draw much less current than the regular lights. That draw may be devastating to the system. I am sure that Lewis will chime in to clarify this.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
beastie said:
Lewis/EC said:
Here is what you do:

Lewis,

Don
Too much current flow. Plus it would strain the filiments and really shorten bulb life.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Car manufacturers have been wiring side marker lights that way for years. A POSITIVE wire is GROUND when it carries no current (current flows from hi to lo). If you use it for ground on a light or something, when that "ground" DOES go "HOT" it will no longer be ground and your other light will go out. This is the way I had my mirror LED and side marker LED lights hooked up.

But this does cause the lights to blink INVERSELY with the signals (ie they go off when the signal goes on). I think this would be confusing up front with the LED fog lights. Since Honda is kind enough to turn off the running lights when the signals blink (adds much more contrast), I have since wired up my mirror and side marker LED lights with DIODES so they blink in unison with the signals. This would work just fine with the LED FOGLIGHTS, but it makes the aux lights aways on when the running lights are on (a bonus with the mirror LED's)

I use the PLUS IS GROUND principle with my "horny" foglights.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW Waldo, I like how you did that. I was wanting the LED fog lights and front signals to blink in unison, but after thinking about it I had realized they wouldn't when I used the positive as a ground way. However, I took the easy way out and did it anyhow. I realized that I have been spending more time working on than riding my bike. I remember when trying to justify to the wife why I wanted to spend the money it took to buy a Wing telling her how reliable a new bike would be and not needing so much of my attention in the garage. Okay, actually she reminded me of this lately. :roll:

So, I'm saving your post and will revisit this issue once things have calmed and I've added some more miles from the saddle. And thank you, Lewis and the others for the help.
Oh, and I have made some homemade rock guards for the fog lights that I will post some pics of as soon as I take 'em.
It's a sickness......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
....the rockguards are holding up fine so far. 240 miles through Death Valley Saturday and they are holding strong. :clap2:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're interested:

I know there’s money to be made on these, but it’s so easy, why would anyone pay me?

1. I took the rubber strips included in the LED light kit and used it for the guards (See pic) as it fit best.
2. I used 2 layers of coaxial wire insulation (pulled off some cable) in place of the strips for the LEDs, because it won’t be seen and accomplishes the same goal- to provide a soft seat for the LEDs to be pressed against.
3. I used 3 small pieces of Velcro between the rubber of the guards and the rubber of the LEDs. This allows removal of the guards for cleaning the lights. The Velcro had to be glued as the sticky no sticky to rubber very well.
4. For insurance, I punched out a small hard rubber round.
5. I drilled a hole in the center of that.
6. I glued it to the face of the LEDs where there is no bulb -right in the middle- but roughed up the rubber first.
7. I screwed the guard face to that placing a small rubber washer under the screw head to add to the shock absorption and prevent flaking of the chrome. I also added a small dab of RTV to the srew threads to prevent backing out.
8. The chrome guards came from bottoms of kitchen utensil holders you put on the countertop bought at Wal-Mart. I had to create a template and make the cut outs.

Total cost: less than $10, but lots of hours figuring it out.

Time will tell how well the chrome holds up and if I need to change the glue for the round center rubbers. But so far so good…….

If this seems too cheap and you'd feel better paying more, I take donations. :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts