GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased foglight kit. [Show Chrome]

Kit comes with a relay or a high beam jumper.

Any reason not to use jumper?

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I have the same lights that I installed over a year ago. I chose the option of having control over the lights, independent of the high beam. I want to turn them on and off at will.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the option to operate mine separate too but I was also told that "just maybe" it would be too much load on the electrical system with the high beam and fogs on at the same time. Kinda made since. I sold that bike but maybe next time I might use the relay and make them go off on high beam. I don't know if they really make that much difference when the high beam is on anyway. Now on low beam they do and I like all the lights up front I can get for better visibiliy....seeing and being seen.:eek:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just a note...Big Big/Show Chrome/Hondaline fog lights relay is merely used to turn off the lights when the high beam is used. The full current of light operation is handled through the fog light switch, whether or not the relay is installed. This has caused several eventual switch failures, and even a few wiring harness problems. EC has a retrofit that includes an inline fuse, and switch powers only the relay, with relay contacts handling the load.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I thought you could only have 4 forward bulbs on at one time..according to police... ?

cosmic
I think that PA dropped that rule and you can run what you want. I'm not positive, but they made several changes and I think that lighting was one of them. I run 8 with the EC's, PIAA's and the hi-beams, and have never had an issue. Maybe just lucky, but I THINK I'm legal

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I think that PA dropped that rule and you can run what you want. I'm not positive, but they made several changes and I think that lighting was one of them. I run 8 with the EC's, PIAA's and the hi-beams, and have never had an issue. Maybe just lucky, but I THINK I'm legal
That is still true. In the the instance of "Quad Headlight" such as the Goldwing (Two sets of separate High and low beam lights), each set of High and Low beam is legally only one light even though physically they are two separate lights.

Having 2 Fog or Driving lights is legal with High and or Low beams as they still only count for a total of 4 lights. Some states have laws written about when a Fog or driving light can be used, Fog lights with low beams only, Driving/auxiliary lights with High beams only. The California Vehicle Code is really a lot of fun to decipher.... as the have all sorts of standard to determine exactly what kind of a light you are running...

Having both 2 Fog lights and 2 Driving lights (PIAA 1100x for instance) on simultaneously is illegal as you would have a total of six lights burning counting the headlight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts